Sub Way Sandwiches

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Zyni • Oct 23, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had to laugh the other day when a Sub Way sandwich commercial came on during the football game. They showed this huge, carefully crafted sandwich, overflowing with meats, cheeses, and veggies. I have yet to see a real Sub Way sandwich that looks even remotely like that. All you see is bread like the "long sandwich" they show in the KFC commercials. I don't need it to be overflowing, but still, I think it's false advertising to show a sandwich like that on the commercial when what you actually get isn't even in the same ballpark.

2. Baxate

BaxateNew Member

Threads:
    This is such a true phenomenon. However, Subway is not the only guilty company of this. Almost every fast food restaurant lies about how their food looks. It is a real shame to be honest, that for companies to get business, they have to lie to their customers. I still am a huge fan Subway, regardless if they look like the ones on the commercials. That is why, I try to eat at home as much as possible; at least I will know what my sandwich will look like.

3. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    It's not false advertising just good advertising. They know how to sell their product and this is all that matters. You can't possibly make a sandwich look as good as it looks on a commercial. They still have quality products.

4. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    Of course on a commercial they are going to show you whatevre they can to intice you to buy the food. Most of the time the food in the commercial is not real food, but just a model.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, Baxate, most of them do it. Sub Way just stuck out, because I saw a prime example of it recently.

Genev, I disagree. I think it is false advertising when you claim to be selling one thing but are selling something that is entirely different. That's not "good advertising" in my opinion.

@Melissa, indeed. I just don't agree with it.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think all food photography is kind of false advertising. The only time I've seen beautiful food that looked like the photos was in an upscale Japanese restaurant.
    I don't think Subway food is bad, but $5 for a sandwich is not a great deal. If you buy hoagie rolls, cold cuts and veggies, you can have as many sandwiches as you want at home and they don't cost $5 each, once you factor in all the ingredients.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Subway isn't the only company to do this, just about every fast food chain does it.
    Try comparing the ads for McDonald's, Burger King, Taco bell, etc with the actual items that you get when you buy them, it's not even close, I'm happy when a McDonald's burger is completely inside the bun....

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's the power of photoshop and lighting. Nothing on television or in photos looks like the real thing including people. I'm sure cookery programs have a hard time when cooks make a mistake and they have back up dishes they have done or tidied up. The live shows really make the difference when you see how food looks when it's been prepared.

At least with Subway they make it in front of you, so you know it's been done how you want.

9. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    All food commercials make their products look neatly and looking delicious but in reality they look totally different. I hate even looking at food commercials because I feel like it is false advertisement. When I see something, I expect it to look just like the commercial advertised it.

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have a problem with Subway sandwiches. To me their quality is average to above average. And the prices are their main positive point. $5 for a foot long is a pretty good deal. It's a decent, quick way to get a healthy snack or lunch if you're in a hurry. Though when it comes to sandwich shops I definitely prefer Quiznos, as I think they are a bit more high end and tastier.

11. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I noticed how Subway sandwiches aren't like the ones in the commercial. It is a little disappointing that the sandwiches don't look the way they do in the commercial, but I still enjoy them. I do think it's misleading to make you think that the sandwiches are made a certain way when they aren't.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This is true of pretty much all of fast food advertising though. I think it's just a necessary evil since it's just not practical to expect a commercial standard of craftsmanship in each and every sandwich. Also, if they were to try and come close to the commercial images then they would go t of business very fast since I'm assuming what they put in their products is what they can afford to give each customer to still gain a profit.

13. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, every fast food place makes the sandwiches and products they serve look a lot better in the commercials. It's just common sense. Businesses want to put the best possible image out of themselves in order to sell as many of their products as possible. I've never had a bad experience at a Subway restaurant. The sandwiches may not look as good as they do in the commercials but they always taste good and look decent.

14. MercyBuckets

MercyBucketsNew Member

Threads:
    I think we're all in agreement that it is misleading advertising, but not false advertising. Subway is selling a specific sandwich, and it chooses the best possible representation of that sandwich for their add, but they aren't selling the picture, they're selling the meal, however it may come. It's no different that you or I going on a dating website and picking the best picture to upload to a profile. I don't always look like I'm coming from a wedding, but that's still the photo I'd use.

In defense of Subway: I know it's garbage. I know it would be cheaper for me to buy the ingredients myself and make a sandwich at home. I know what I order will usually be a mess. It's still a better option that most traditional fast food, in terms of a varied meal. It's not good, but it's better than a double cheeseburger and fries.

15. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Most fast food companies use "food sculptures" created from plastic in commercials. I think it is a misleading practice. They show a product you could not possibly buy. It gives them an unfair advantage over smaller local restaurants who can't keep a food sculptor on hand.

16. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    Remember Falling Down with Michael Douglas? He goes into a Whammy Burger and he orders a hamburger that's squished and nasty looking? That's basically what you can expect these days. You pay more for a whole lot less. Even McDonald's new quarter pounders are getting smaller and smaller already. Remember back in the day when the Big Macs were so huge you had to put it together yourself? Now it's so puny that it won't even fill the box anymore. It's so sad that money has become more important than quality.

17. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    This is a pretty prevalent thing all across the board, Subway is far from alone in committing this little misstep- I agree though, it's not so much false advertising and just good marketing/advertising- kind of like how an awful movie can have an amazing trailer, game trailers that make a game seem 10x more appealing than it really is and so on...basically what advertising is intended to do; make the product seem as appealing as possible so that you'll feel compelled to buy it. But a lot of the time the reality doesn't live up to the advertising. I don't think that Subway is the worst with this though, they might not look as beautiful as the commercials and ads but when I get them they usually are pretty full at least.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The stores claim to keep the prices down they give you a smaller size, All packaging is getting smaller, cereal boxes are smaller, cake mixes are smaller but the cost is the same so you have to purchase the item sooner because you do not have as much as you did before so you are still paying a higher price because you have to purchase more often.

19. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I used to go to Subway way too much before I moved. They knew me in there and my sandwiches really were overflowing (though they have a pre-set amount of meat and cheese unless you order extra). It was terrible; they even knew my order and I have a weird order. But if I felt like there wasn't enough lettuce, or whatever, I'd say "Could I please have some more lettuce" and it would be no problem at all. My sandwiches were so big sometimes they had a hard time closing them. They were messy though, don't know how the photography would have turned out.

20. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Funny you should mention that. I just read an article by a game reviewer that was having a fit over how great games look at the cons and in trailers and such, and then they turn out to be garbage. He advised people to never pre-order games again, and to hold game makers to a higher standard. He extolled the virtues of certain game companies where what you see is what you get.

I'm frankly surprised that so many people are okay with misleading advertising. I guess that's why it's so common now. Companies know that they can not only get away with it, but that many consumers will even defend it.