What type of oil

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Strykstar • Oct 23, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    What kind of oil do you generally use when cooking?
    I usually use olive oil, but also vegetable oil if I'm making some fries.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like olive oil, but sometimes it can be too dense so I use vegetable or sunflower oil for frying eggs or onions. To saute mushrooms I like to use olive oil as they don't need too long to cook. I usually add a drop of olive oil to cook pasta so they are lightly coated when they are drained.

3. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I love to use the garlic olive oil at Trader Joes. Otherwise, I'm content using canola for health reasons. But I love a good olive oil for dipping bread. I don't use olive oil much for cooking because of the burn points and sometimes I like a slight scorch on my food but not if the rest is undercooked.

4. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I use olive oil for cooking, mostly. There are some things olive oil isn't good for like frying or cooking at high heat. For those I just use canola oil but I hardly fry things so that's not very often. I prefer the flavor of olive oil to other oils.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    We usually use palm oil. However, when I make pastas, I use extra virgin coconut oil. :)

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Coconut oil for anything that will be cooked olive oil if it won't be cooked. I no longer use any other oils because I heard they are really, really bad for you. Coconut oil is the best oil for cooking as it can withstand the heat without turning into a trans fat like just about any other oil. Olive oil actually turns into trans fat faster than just about any other oil if it heated such as in a saute. It is best used to make your salad dressings or in other sauces that are not going to be really cooked. I'm pretty sure it is safe for olive oil to be warm, just not super hot.

7. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I like to use canola oil when I fry fish, chicken, meat etc. but I choose vegetable oil for all veggie products. The worse oil as far as taste is peanut oil. The last time I used that, it left a strange taste on my fried chicken. Peanut oil also cost more money as well, i guess it's healthier for you. I think overall, Olive oil is the best as far as health. This lady named Jeanine lived to be 120 years old, they asked her her secret and she said cooking with olive oil. LOL!

8. florida2015

florida2015Member

Threads:
    I use canola oil for frying double battered chicken, fish, french fries, pork chops etc. I think the food fries up lighter and crispier with a golden brown color. I also use olive oil if I am cooking something that I can fry slowly with a low smoke point. It is great for a healthy heart. I highly recommend House of Autry Chicken or Seafood Breader to make frying with either of these oils even better. Every friend that I have recommended this product to have loved it and still use it.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know it's not practical to use olive oil because of its cost for regular cooking particularly in frying, deep frying. But if I don't use this oil, I would rather not cook what I really like, a dish where I intended to use the olive oil. Instead I would just cook and eat something else that wouldn't need this oil. It's my staple oil. So frying is really expensive for us.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Corn oil is the most widely used oil where I'm from. I know it's not as healthy as olive oil but almost everyone uses it because it's cheaper and does not strain your budget. We also buy olive oil but use it only for salads and special meals. For regular cooking, it's either corn oil or some other vegetable oil.

11. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    In my household, canola and vegetable oil is used to cook meals on the stove. I want to use olive oil rather than those two more frequently for it's healthier benefits, but olive oil is quite expensive to consistently buy. So because of that, it's not bought or used by me on a regular basis.

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use grapeseed oil. It's really light and has a high smoke point. I read about macadamia nut oil. It supposed to have a buttery taste. It's been pretty hard to find locally.

13. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly use coconut oil. It's tasty, it's good for you, and it has a high smoke point and it is widely available here. If I am not using coconut oil, I use sunflower oil. I also use local red palm oil. I don't use the refined yellow looking palm oil because it's not good for you, but the unrefined red palm oil has a lot of health benefits and is high in Vitamin A.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use different oils for cooking. My favorite are sesame and sunflower oil, shortly followed by olive oil. I like the nutty taste of organic sunflower oil and its versatility. I can use it for making cookies and cakes where the recipe stipulates butter. I love sesame oil in stir-fries. It gives it a "rounded" aromatic flavour. And for my salads I like to use cold pressed olive oil. I usually fill up a couple of small bottles with the oil, to which I add chilies, herbs and spices. I let the bottles sit in a dark, cool spot for a couple of weeks until they "ripen" and turn into a delicious oil of my own creation.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really love peanut oil and wish it weren't so expensive in our stores, otherwise I would use it more on a regular basis, I love the smell and taste of it, especially with salty foods.

My daily go to oil would be Canola oil, since I really like how neutral and light it is, plus it's not as thick and viscous as something like an Extra Virgin Olive oil. I cook with Extra Virgin Olive Oil as well though, when I specifically want that smell and taste, such as when I am making scrambled eggs, but if I am making stuff like a burger or sauteed chicken, I go with Canola oil because I want to taste the meat and not have the fruity smells of the olive oil interfering with them.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually use canola oil. I used to use some olive oil from time to time but i eventually stopped buying it because i never really liked the way it tastes to begin with, and i was only buying it for certain recipes that necessitate olive oil over other types. I dont make salads at home either which I think is one of the best uses of it so I just mainly stick to frying oils.

17. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Olive oil is my usual way to go for frying most of my foods, but at other times, I use lard from previously cooked fatty foods that I store in a pot or jar, and let that do the frying instead. In my honest opinion, animal fats are still the best oils to use when frying anything - it has natural flavor and doesn't contain preservatives.

I dislike canola oil and most vegetable oils, because they're no good for humans, but you all can research that for yourselves.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We use coconut oil to fry our food. I think this is the cheapest variant available, so that's what they buy.

19. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I use olive oil. It is important to note that there are different grades of olive oil though. Extra virgin olive oil is more expensive, and has too low a boiling point to be used well for general cooking. It is more suited for use as salad dressings or marinades. Plain olive oil is definitely healthier than the other oils, and is what I use for general cooking, besides deep frying (corn oil is typically my choice for this)

20. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I use mostly canola oil when cooking. Today, I have to consider changing to other cooking oil as I find it is not healthy as it claims. Olive oil is expensive and its boiling point is not high enough for my cooking. I usually use olive oil as my salad oil. I really don't know what to buy regarding to cooking oil as I do not want corn oil or peanut oil. Maybe I will steam my dish more often and adding sesame oil, olive oil afterwards.