Spending too much on Internet

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Baxate • Oct 24, 2014.

1. Baxate

BaxateNew Member

Threads:
    I live in a house where four people are constantly using the internet. We have a business plan from Comcast that costs us just over a 100$ per month. I was wondering if this is too much; our connection isn't even that good. I usually can download around two MBs a second, and upload around five. It seems silly that internet that is just average would cost this much. What do you guys think? Is it too much?

2. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Why are you on a business plan? Business plans cost alot more then just a residential plan, at least in my area it does. I pay $24.95 for DSL. I get a great download and upload time and have straight connectivity overall. I would never pay more then what I do now. $100 a month is way to much.

I'd suggest going to a normal residential line and hook up a wifi router so that any device that has wifi connectivity available, you can connect them. I'm all about getting more for less.

3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, $100 sounds like way too much to me. I would suggest changing your plan or providers. Is there any particular reason you are a on a business plan? It really doesn't make a lot of since to use that if you don't own or run a business. I think you may have been taken advantage of. I doubt you use enough data and bandwith to justify a $100 bill.

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Comcast is known for being horrible on all fronts. They make Verizon look like a saint when they actually are the devil in a red dress. The simple fact is that you need to get off comcast and look for a regular dsl plan. You can go with Verizon if they are available in your area but Comcast is just full of disappointment.

5. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    That is not that high for a business line with Comcast. I was paying $40 with the triple play package (TV, internet, phone) When I canceled the TV & phone, they raised my internet for residential to $80 per month. I got annoyed with them after about a year and disconnected them. I used my neighbor's wi-fi (secured with his permission), but eventually wanted my Roku back. So when I signed back up a year later, Comcast offered me $40 per month for internet. That is cheap here (New Jersey outside of Philadelphia). The DSL here is terrible, and there is no FIOS.

One thing about Comcast is the problem with the actually lines into the homes. My sister moved into a new house and her service has never been right. They claimed she was getting a weak signal which screwed up her Comcast phone and internet speed. Comcast made her pay to rewire the whole house, and they paid for the rewiring outside. This still did not fix the problem. Then they told her to get a $10 per month "booster". She did that for a few months, but it was lousy. So she gave up. they just suffer with sucky service because there are no other choices in her area.

6. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    It's funny that you call this amazing speed slow. I mean, you are downloading 2 MB/s. Isn't it more than enough? It's really fast by Indian standards. And I don't think spending $100 a moth for 2MB/S is expensive at all.

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    You really should be spending about 30 bucks on internet useage per month. Anything beyond that is just excess. Not sure why it would be so much unless you just have some sort of really high speed internet. I pay about $100 per month for internet + cable so you are definitely paying way too much at this point. Have you resolved this issue yet or are you still being charged the same price?

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We spend around $25 per month on internet here and although it's not the fastest it still does the job so I would have to say that probably getting the business package is a bit of an overkill. I'd recommend just testing it out at least so you'd know if you are really paying too much and if it ends up to be bothersome then you could always just revert back to your original data plan.

9. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yea 2Mbps is pretty damn fast. So there is nothing average about that. But 100 dollars/month for internet is a lot of money. WHere I live 2 Mbps is about $40/month.

10. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    In our area, we can download at an average speed of 250kB/s on very slow days, and upload at twice that speed. We spend around $60 a month, including payment for the land line. We do not bother with other miscellaneous fees such as cable and the like since we get too busy with our daily tasks. I would assume that if I were to start working at home, this speed would suffice, even if it were to be web-related jobs (one that might need to download and upload data on a daily basis).

Unless everyone in your household actually uses the internet for online businesses that entail massive data connectivity, I do agree with the others that you might be paying too much for your internet usage.

#10Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's an awful lot of money for only four people. We here only pay $20 per month on high speed internet, and we use it all day for work. But I have to mention that we are in Latin America at the moment, where prices are in relation to the economy here. In Australia we paid an average of $45 per month for the same service, and in Europe it was $40.

12. Shannel

ShannelNew Member

Threads:
    I was being charged $85 for high speed internet from Century Link but when I told I was going to cancel the service they lowered by bill to $19 a month . Isn't that sweet? :p

13. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah you either need to switch carriers or switch plans because $100 is ridiculous
    But Comcast has always been known to be a bit (more than a bit) of a jerk epecially when it comes to their pricing.
    If you are going to stick with Comcast you should get regular residential internet, buy your own equipment so you aren't charged the monthly fee for equipment and your bill should significantly reduce in price.

14. westmixxin

westmixxinMember

Threads:
    That’s exactly why I’m mad right now because I’m paying so much for Internet but my Internet speed is completely turtle like which has done nothing but anger me..

15. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    We were satisfied with our internet and phone package until other company offered us much at a lower price. Honestly, I had no complaints with our previous carriers when it comes to their connection. We are like paying about $80 a month for that. The other company offered us phone, internet and TV package at $60 per month.

Now, we are thinking of switching to a new carrier. But then we were offered with our current carrier a lower price. I guess it is too late for that since we have already signed up with the new carrier. Any day from now, they will begin with the installation and I am beginning to feel excited about it.

16. unrealjoe

unrealjoeNew Member

Threads:
    I don't really care about my carrier because the inflation moves up and down with the years. Next year at&t may have more valuable pricing. And the year after, sprint. There is no all time lowest price, they mix and comingle.

17. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I have CenturyLink and pay $31 per month for perfectly fast wifi. It is normally $70, but I called them and told them that it was way too expensive. I told them that somebody else (I just made it up) was offering home wifi for cheaper, so CenturyLink cut my bill in half. I find that if you call your provider and ask for a deal they will give you whatever they are offering new customers. I do this with my cell phone provider, my satellite and car insurance and save a ton per month.

18. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    Who is your provider? Is it a local company. I too am paying way too much, so I'm trying to find a better deal.

19. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Try Century Link, I have a year contract with them and get super fast speeds unlimited for $30 a month. I have two laptops, a ps4, a tablet and three phones I have connected pretty much 24/7 and do not get any buffering or slow downs. It's a great deal for great service.

20. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yea, this is one of the biggest "leverage" tools we have as a customer. If you call up and say that you can no longer afford to pay your bill and will be looking to switch companies, they'll do everything they can to keep you on as a customer. Even at a reduced rate, they want to keep you on their docket more than losing you to someone else.

Did this recently with Comcast and was able to get my half-off internet price to stay past the year subscription. Called in, said I couldn't afford the $70 bill every month and was going to cancel my subscription and got my $44 internet price extended for another 6 months.