Ebook/Book Cover Design

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Rhoda D'ettore • Oct 24, 2014.

1. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    What makes a good book cover in your opinion? I want something that stands out from the rest with bold colors. Looking at the books online, half of them seem to have people on them in various stages of dress. The other half have transparent/translucent figures. To me, they all blend into each other and none stand out. In your opinion, what makes a good book cover? What will draw you into that particular book, especially when the other covers look similar? ARe you more attracted to the title, cover or blurb?

2. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    The title and blurb have a bigger impact on me than the cover. But yeah, covers that are unique can definitely catch my attention. And if the cover shows the movie adaptation, I skip it right away. I hate those things. Lol

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most E-books I've read had a plain cover. Except for the title, and author's name, there was nothing else on them. So, for me, covers won't make me grab a book and read it unless it's been recommended by someone who's read it.

But . . . if the image on the cover adds some intrigue to the story [I mostly read fiction] then my interest just might be piqued.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No goddamn CG. If there's CG on the cover, and I mean the obvious, awful, Amiga-level CG that's on every other book these days, I don't even bother reading the synopsis. If the people who put it out took no effort with it, why should I? The Word-in-90s-clipart-like lettering of the covers just adds into the disaster. I wish people still cared how their book looks like.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What attracts me to a book is its overall packaging, so it's not just the cover art but I also give credit to the title and the plot overview. I think a great cover would be something that's simple with just a hint of mystery. I don't like covers that give away too much. I also find covers depicting nature, abstract art or symbolic gestures attractive.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the genre of the book, but the important things that stand out are the font used and the color of the cover. The blurb is important too, but if you are looking for the cover, then where the title is placed is an important factor for me and the background color.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah, you are right, I absolutely forgot about that! The blurb is super important to me, as if it just sounds like a generic story we've all read tens of times, there's no reason to waste moneyo n it just try it and hope it will be good.

8. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Good book covers have high quality image, clear blurbs and fonts that are readable. I tend to try not to judge a book from its cover, but at least the image on the cover should have enough pixels so that they don't appear blurry. I would want to look at the cover and get a slight idea of the book genre, and the blurbs would tell me in words what the book is supposed to be about. In addition, I would want to immediately find out who is the publisher, the name of the writer, and the title of the book. I know this sound redundant, but they are the necessary details.