What brings you peace?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by JosieP • Oct 24, 2014.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Part of obtaining happiness is seeking those things that bring us peace and incorporating them into our lives as much as possible. For some people it's yoga or weight lifting (how??? lol). Some find peace in meditation or prayer. For me it's water. I live near the water and have always lived at least a short distance from it.. grew up IN the water lol, I was a little fish.. and it brings me such peace, I could probably stare at a bathtub full of water and zone right out lol. Same with Hiking. The fresh air and nature is the most peaceful setting.

What brings you peace?

2. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I like to go for a walk early in the morning when the stars and the moon are still out. I love to feel the cool breeze and my skin and look up at the starlit sky. It is very peaceful to me and any worries I might have just disappear. It is a great way to start the day. I also have a gratitude journal that I write in every night. It helps me to remember that I really blessed. On a much more frivolous note, I like to do my nails. Going through the ritual of giving myself a full manicure is very relaxing to me for some reason.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on where I am at the time. According to my mindset at the time, different things bring me peace. If I am angry, then seeing the person who made me angry get their comeuppance grants me peace. If I am happy, then seeing those around me also be happy grants me peace. It is such a strange thing. I don't actually know if there is any one thing that will and can grant me peace no matter what frame of mind I am in. It is always changing.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really? Not even writing? Music? Writing used to bring me calm every time. I'd write for hours, so therapeutic. I can find many things that will slow me down and bring a little peace to my day. If we're talking bigger picture peace, then it's the happiness of my family and friends, knowing my children are on the path they've placed themselves on, my husband doing what he loves, helping others etc etc etc. I tend to bring peace with me though, knowing it's all in the mind anyway.. so maybe I could find it anywhere at this point.

5. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    What brings me peace and happiness are a few things. Obviously I like to be financially secure. I don't want to have to worry about money at every turn. I also get peace from having solid, dependable and healthy relationships. It's always good to have an emotional connection with someone and to have people you can count on who love you, and you love them in return. So really financial and personal happiness are really keys to me being a peace with myself and others.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    No. I have to be in a certain frame of mind if I am going to write. Same goes for making music. It is so annoying. I am perhaps the world's biggest procrastinator due to this. If I am not in the mood for something, then it is very difficult for me to do certain things. Even if those things have been know to, and would, bring me peace whilst I am in other states of mind. I don't know what is wrong with me lol. I do love writing, and making music, but not if I am not one with it, if that makes any sense.

For peace, I often needs all of the pieces to have fallen into place. And I suppose that is a negative way to look at it - that if all of the pieces have not fallen into place then I cannot have peace. But that is how it feels sometimes. So sometimes it is not enough to have peace in one area. But with you being a mother, I suppose that pull - seeing your children and husband happy - would grant you with peace potent enough to get the job done?

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Gotcha. Yeah, I used to feel the same way. I was a huge procrastinator.. up until recently actually,, I just finally learned future me prefers it when I do things for her and I don't like ticking her off LOL. But I couldn't do much of anything with the perfect circumstances. Same with happiness. Not a lot brought me peace until I sought it.. this is all still fairly new to me lol. But water/nature for sure.. it always did, I just didn't always realize it. All I know is, if it annoys you now, it won't be the way it is for long..

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't had a lot of peace in the last 2 years, but music does help me space out. I also like watching those nature sounds vidoes on Youtube that have ,like, 9 hours of ocean sounds or rain sounds. My small dog also brings me peace because he is still a clown no matter how bad things get.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Animals absolutely help.. they're so innocent and untouched by our realities, they can snap you out of it in a second. I have one that is so beyond adorable and happy, nobody can look at her without smiling, no matter their moods. I know you've had a rough go ACSAPA and each and every step you're pushed back, I see you step forward again. Obviously from a very limited view.. but you're still here and you're still fighting. Even with the hurdles, you're both still in the apartment you worked so hard for, have food in your bellies, still working, still creating. You still accomplish so much despite any situation, even when it doesn't feel like it. "this too shall pass"...

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    I totally understand what you are saying. I have that conversation with myself daily. I'm like 'give yourself future self the gift of not having to worry about getting x done,' but then I still don't so it. Perhaps I need to love myself enough to take action in the moment, rather than putting it off. Many spiritual teachers - when asked about why human beings procrastinate - will say that we know that the energy is not in alignment, and the ac of procrastination is us waiting until the energy is aligned so that we can reap the best results. But often we do things at the last minute, and the energy is not aligned and so we do not see the best possible version of the course of action that we have taken. They give suggestions for things that will help, like listening to music and such. But even those things I have trouble with doing lol.

I haven't had a pet since I was in primary school. I used to have a hamster, but playing with him or her was always such a peaceful and relaxing and refreshing experience. It was the feeling of love all round. It was beautiful, though when he or she died I laughed, which was strange. I attribute that to my upbringing. I do miss him or her though. Such a damn cutie. Animals are definitely a great way to find peace, especially stroking and playing with said animal.

11. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I gain peace in knowing that "nothing lasts, nothing is finished and that nothing is forever". In a busy day, we are often pressured to get things done at high levels of intensity. It has helped me lessen the burden on my own self and continue things with an easy mind. This does not mean that I lower the importance of certain tasks, but it helps me understand my own limitations and therefore makes it easier to make decisions.

For others it is a simple event like showering with music. There are no magic fixes for everyone and that is also refreshing in its own way.

12. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    Music brings me peace. In particular Classic and Prog Rock, also the works of Johann Sebastian Bach, when I need to be transported, lifted up, euphoric, this music is my go to solution, the second solution would be a super-sized serving of French Fries, ha!

13. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    What brings me peace is praying and being in church during a good sermon. It also beings me peace to have one of those moments where I see just how thankful I should be for what I have and become completely content with everything around me. This is one of the stranger things, but it also brings me peace being out with someone I enjoy at the peak hours of sunrise just when the sky begins to turn and getting breakfast. The world still seems like it's asleep and the chaos of everyday has yet to come, but for a moment, everything is at rest and I get to spend time with someone I love. It's so wonderful.

14. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    Between my retirement woodworking shop and the Lord I avoid getting stressed out and find my happy place. It is amazing to me how someone could call crafting with wood could be a chore. All of my life has been spent working at a lot of things I didn't care for. Now, I have no bosses(except my wife) and I have all of the serenity I want when I go back into my shop. What shaping and forming the different woods doesn't do, the Lord just seems to step in and fill all of the gaps.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    Smoking used to make me happy and bring me peace for a while. I have been smoking for about three or four years now, and I used to really look forward to each smoke. These days I cannot wait until the smoke ends after a few initial puffs. I don't know - it is strange. But then again I used to get the same feeling of peacefulness from drinking alcohol in my early teenage years, and now I despise alcohol. Maybe I will have moved onto something else to bring me peace in the years to come.