Isn't All This Bad News Depressing?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by TPhoenix • Oct 24, 2014.

1. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    How you you feel about all the tragic, threatening and violent news coming out lately? It's just so sad and overwhelming to hear. You have the security threats to Parliament Hill in Canada (with Corporal Nathan Cirillo getting killed) and security breaches in The White House in the United States, then you hear about all these perpetual shootings especially at schools where kids go to learn and you have this Ebola outbreak that is spreading slowly but surely, with the governments not doing all that good of a job of preventing it from happening.

How do you feel about all this?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see it as human nature showing its true colors, people are removed from what is important and it takes death and tragedy before people realize getting the next iphone isn't that important.

It maybe depressing, however i shows the true nature humans, greed, power, selfishness, arrogance and materialism. The gun laws have always been debated despite a nine year old killing an instructor by accident and another school shooting. How many more deaths does it take?

Breaches in security may have been happening all the the time, but not revealed. Considering all the resources and latest technology available they should not happen, but shows humans are fallible. The ebola outbreak was/is a result of errors, misjudging the potency of the virus and not respecting the true power of nature. Science doesn't stand still and they assumed incorrectly that procedure were adequate.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes turn off the TV when the news being broadcasted are too depressing. I even try to stop reading newspapers because all the articles are about killing and war. :(

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think part of it has to do with how the media is reporting too. I've been seeing some comparisons of different countries and how they report their bad news recently and there is a big difference on them in my opinion. I don't know if there is any effect on the public but I'm inclined to believe that there is since if you tell it with a certain tone of crisis then chances are the public would react that way but if you do it calmly then the public is more likely to see it objectively and form their own opinions on it.

[video=youtube_share;lAz-F1QnyCk]http://youtu.be/lAz-F1QnyCk[/video]

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't even watch the news anymore because it's a constant stream of depressing stories. I just look at the news articles on my homepage when I go online.
    A lot of crazy stuff happens here in Florida, so for my mental health, I had to stop watching the local news. I have enough problems in my own life without piling on more bad news.

6. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think the bad news lately is any worse than any other time. It is easy to focus on the bad but there is also a lot of good news. Those stories aren't sensational so they don't make the news programs. If you feel yourself being depressed by it, maybe try to focus on positive news.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't watch the news. With all the fear mongering, the biggest things always make it's way to my ears regardless. School shootings are nothing new. We just have more media sources and they play it out until it's old news and the next shooting happens. It's been going on longer than any of us have been on this earth. Same with murders.. in fact, murder happens a lot less now than most of history lol. I refuse to live my life in fear, stress, unhappiness etc etc and the news just makes those things grow in us. These things happen.. I already know that. I don't need to focus on it and fear my every step. Look at the shooting here in Canada. That was a sick and twisted plot from a mentally sick man and the government spun it to be an attack on us all. They spun it so cleverly, everyone is looking to the government again.. well played! I don't know about anyone else.. but I know plenty of people who would like to see Harper drop dead and they're not thinking it will hurt Canada in the least lol.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All the bad news we hear is but the tip of the iceberg in so far as the 'bad stuff' is concerned. Most murders, terrorist attacks, etc go unreported because the media either doesn't want to let the public know about it or they get the news because they don't have the resources to have reporters covering everything that happens in the world.

Anyway since these things happen all the time [and for some reason good news is HARDLY EVER reported], if the bad news is depressing then it's best to actually stop reading or watching the news.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course the government won't really do a good job at preventing it, because they are part of the Ebola and shooting conspiracies. (just Google "conspiracy theories" for more info.) I don't really get depressed when I hear these things, I'm more like desensitized. The Bible warns us about all these events anyway in the Revelation chapter, so they're bound to happen.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that most people who aren't directly affected by the things you mention, don't give it much thought. For most people the news aren't all that real, unless soemthing happens in their own country, their town, their neighborhood. Around here where I currently live, many haven't even heard of the ebola virus because they either don't have any time to watch the world news, or they simply aren't interested. In this moment I am living in one of the more dangerous countries in Latin America, and life here evolves around more localized issues, such as not getting robbed or killed on the street while going to work every morning.