dose anyone still play board games as an adult.

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Melissast • Oct 25, 2014.

1. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I have been watching a show on YouTube reaceantly called tabletop where they play a different board game every time. It looks like they have a lot of fun just playing with friends and using thier imagination. It made me really want to play some of these, but I don't have the type of friends who would sit down and play with me.

Dose anyone still play boardgames?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    It's really hard to find like-minded people who enjoy playing board games as an adult, and even harder to organize a meetup to play these games. I have to say that I don't play board games any more, even at parties we gravitate towards playing poker, or video games like Mario Kart and Guitar Hero.

However, I have found a pretty nifty game, "Tabletop Simulator". Basically the community has created many mods of traditional boardgames like Monopoly, Risk, even D&D, allowing players to play against each other online. It is available on Steam and has a pretty active playerbase.

3. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really play board games anymore, with the exception of one popular Caribbean board game called Loodie (Ludo). It's a 2-4 player game that involves having to roll the dice and get sixes to bring your four pieces to the board and then have to strategically make your way to home base. Along the way, you can sweep people or people can sweep you off the board depending on what is rolled on the dice and you can pile up your pieces to form what is called a passage block. I've played this game since forever with my family and we've grown up still playing it. It's fun, but just not when my cousins decide to hold up the game from being fun.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I do. I still play Monopoly, Life, and Snakes n' Ladders. :D They are very fun. I play them with my nephews and cousins sometimes when there is a get together.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tabletop games are definitely fun, and there's a huge market of them aimed at adults. So, yeah. I personally don't oplay too many of them, because I don't really have anyone to play them with, but I can definitely see having fun with them. I already have fun playing board games online, stuff like 100% Orange Juice or Ticket to Ride can be really fun. :)

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We still play Scrabble, Chess and Monopoly whenever time and the circumstances permit us to. It's not that we're doing away with these games but adult life gets busier and busier by the minute, so it's hard to gather around and start playing these games. We're trying to make sure we have a great future, after all. When there's an opportunity to do so, everyone's always happy to just sit around and see if our brains are still up for the challenge of board games.

7. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Not very often, but sometimes me and my boyfriend will play together when we have nothing else to do. I still like them but I like things along the lines of monopoly

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I LOVE playing board games and I am an adult. I know of a bar that just opened up where you can play games with friends. You can take your own board games or rent them from the bar for a couple of bucks. It's cheaper than going to an arcade!

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still play board games.

Last year I had a buddy who I'd play checkers with every weekend. But when he left . . .

Nonetheless; if I want to, I can head off to zone.com and play against others who like the game. I particularly like it when I face off against opponents from another country. It's like being on the pitch representing your country :)

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't anymore but I'd be open to it. My favorite board games are snakes and ladders and Monopoly and if someone invited me to play it I'd definitely be up for it. The only problem is that most people these days don't usually play board games anymore and even I myself am a little bit guilty of this as I never really actively seek it out. It's just not too enticing anymore these days and it actually takes a bit of effort and commitment to set aside some time for games like these.

11. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I struggled to play board games as a child, so I don't know that I would be much better at it as an adult. I do like scrabble though, but that is a whole different thing.

12. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    Hi Dancing Lady!

I still play Monopoly sometimes and there are times I play RP games. I started playing Munchkin but I haven't played in a while. I know there are more out there to try out. Does anyone still have a Wizards of the Coast in their area? I know the malls always set up calendar and board game stands that have all the crazy and fun games. I can't wait to look at all the options and discover new games.

13. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    We keep our old board games around but barely get to play them. When the power goes out, we pull them out. We lost power for a couple of days from a tropical storm a few years ago. We played Monopoly, Scrabble, Stratego, and Rummikub. I hope to teach my son to play these games when he gets older.

14. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:

That sounds awesome. I would be hanging out at that place will the time. Unfourtionatly there is nothing like that around here.So I can't use that as a place to play games. There is a d and d type store in our mall, but when I went in there one time they all looked at me like get out. They seem to be a pretty tight knit group, and I'm to shy to really know how to approach them.

15. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Not really. My friends aren't into them. My relatives, too, save for my oldest cousin who is crazy about scrabble and monopoly. He would always challenge me and 9 times out of 10 I lose. Either he's so good in scrabble or I'm just stupid. Lol.

16. TheKid

TheKidNew Member

Threads:
    I really love playing board games but the same as you, I can't seem to find people who are willing to play with me. My favorite board game of all time is Monopoly, I really love it and with the automated banking system it is much faster to play but people always tell me that "it takes too long" uhg.

17. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I do still play board games. I like playing Scrabble, Monopoly, and Pachisi. I also like playing a local game that is something like checkers and I also love playing mancala. It is my favorite. I don't think you are ever too old to play board games. They are good fun for everyone.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I love playing chess. For many years I had a custom to meet with an old friend on a regular basis to play this wonderfully stimulating game. Unfortunately, I had to move to a far away place and our monthly custom came to a halt. I also like playing other board games such as backgammon, but chess will always be my first choice as it always feels as if I'm giving my brain a thorough mental work-out, which makes me feel relaxed and focused at the same time.

19. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I just finished playing Sorry with my girls. It was fun! Even though there were some pieces missing we managed to substitute them with a bad piggy and a rubber ducky. The girls enjoyed watching daddy beat mom.

20. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I play Monopoly from time to time whenever my friends come to visit. We had a game session the other day when we decided to play exactly as the game instructions said the game should be played. It made the game shorter and we had tons of fun. I used to hate that we could never finish a Monopoly game, but it turns out it was because of the "rules" we introduced ourselves.
    I think as adults we should be able to play anything we want, even things made for kids, we're also allowed to have fun.