Buying a home overseas?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by ExpertAdvice • Oct 25, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    You need a different place, a different country, somewhere that is easy to settle into and the right place just for you, you don't want to move around in the country that you were born in or the country that you've spent most of your life in, you need a change, a big one, and you're at that place when the time is right, has anyone considered moving to live in another country? if yes, where?

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've considered it but more in a just wildly daydreaming kind of way than a serious consideration....but there are a few places that really do appeal to me and that I think I would enjoy living overall. Australia is on the top of the list for me...if I were to move to another country, I think that would be my top pick.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I love to watch House Hunters International. I wish I could buy a home overseas. I would not have a problem with it. I can see myself living in Italy or Spain. I love rich culture and if a job opportunity presented itself then I would might do it.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I consider it all the time, but at the moment, I'm lazy and only realistically considering moving across the country lol. Which we're currently in the middle of planning. One life.. if you want something, move mountains to get it.

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I'd love to move to Norway or New Zealand. Ever since I was a child, these places are like the only places that were etched in my mind. Maybe it's because milk is usually from New Zealand and all, milk is delicious. Lol. Plus you see the picture of greenery in cartons of milk. Norway is like one of those quiet countries that seem very nice to live in. I always envision these two places as rural or province like which is what I want in a country.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Not really. I like living where I am right now which is Oahu. When you get older like me you like the familiarity of somewhere you know, well this is what I like anyway. I'd love to travel though to Sweden, Canada or France and Italy one day when I can afford it. :p

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Allowing for the fact that - as I have no roots in any one particular Country and have since the very early age of just 1 month old, spent the majority of my life moving from one Country to Country - it actually seems quite normal for me to do this - as I never really feel that I'm moving abroad as such.

My answer to this question - is kind of mixed - as although for the first time in my life I'm currently enjoying staying in one place for way longer than usual - as there are still very many Countries that I would very much like to have the chance of living in before I get too much older - I think its highly likely - even though I'm not quite sure where yet - that I will be wanting to move again sometime in the not too distant future

I wouldn’t however - ever consider buying property in any Country that I hadn't lived in for at least a year - as not only can it be an extremely risky business - if you haven't fully researched and familiarized yourself with the various legalities of living and owning a property in the chosen Country - but more importantly you need to be sure that you enjoy the lifestyle and culture - especially as - apart from the fact that in some countries it can take many, many years to sell a property - what is shown on the internet and TV is more often than not - a far from accurate picture of what everyday life is like.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All everyone is really after in life is to be comfortable and happy. Whilst making a huge decision one has to take into consideration what their family wants. Just because one wants to move doesn't mean the rest of the family will be interested in leaving their friends and everything else behind.

I think though that when I've saved enough money or the money I make from my investments is enough to live on, I'll move to a country where the cost of living low. Places like Panama or Ecuador.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I havent been abroad ever, so any place will do actually. I think Hongkong, Japan or Italy are good places to live in.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never considered living in another country because I may not be able to adjust to the climate and the culture. But I have friends in the US who are now planning to come back to the Philippines to settle for their retirement. Their intention is to buy a house for that purpose. However, most of them are surprised that the cost of real estate here has gone beyond their expectation.