Fast food: Do you still eat fast food after hearing all the rumors?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Tellyv • Oct 26, 2014.

1. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I recently heard numerous rumors about fast food that I hope is not true. Do you still eat fast food?

2. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I still eat fast food as I am quite addicted to them. I love the taste of fast food batter than any other food. I also think it is quite normal for almost every one to eat fast food these days.

3. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I still eat fast food even after not only hearing the negative aspects about it, but seeing what it can do to people if they live constantly on it from watching the documentary, Super Size Me. Ever since then and because I already have to follow a low carb diet, I have completely minimized by intake of fast food and only have it when I feel for it.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Rumors may have their basis in fact but I still give the benefit of the doubt just in case they were spread with the intention to malign the said fast food either because of competition or some previous personal grudge. If I like the fast food and never had a bad experience with it, I don't think I should believe these rumors and stop my enjoyment.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I still eat fast food despite what we know about all the bad side effects of eating it. What I always try and remember is portion control and to not eat it every day or very often at all. If you eat fast food in moderation, then it's not going to cause too many bad things to happen.

Most problems that come from fast food are related to people who eat way too much of it.

6. kbroder9

kbroder9Member

Threads:
    Always do your own research and be vigilant about checking what ingredients are inside your food. The news, blogs, etc like to pick up on hype to come up with an interesting story, and almost all of the time, nothing has changed. Sure, sometimes there are high school employees that are stupid and tape themselves doing something disgusting, but I'm sure that's less that .001% of the time. Don't live your life in fear, if you like a certain place, and the food can be somewhat healthy in moderation, no need to be scared of what you read.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I no longer eat foods in the fast food.A part from I avoid it, I don't see it necessary anymore. There's no chance of me eating foods from the fast food. I do eat occasionally when one offers me. But I have this rule: I shouldn't spend my hard-earned money for something that will kill me, or for something that would be detrimental to my health. Sadly, eating at a fast food is one of those.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a real disdain for bloggers such as "FoodBabe" and others who are constantly looking to hype up some chemical or ingredient just to get their name out there and promote their own web site. They are doing a huge disservice to people sending them off into a health panic constantly over trivial stuff. That whole "yoga mat" crap with SubWay was a total joke, and numerous chemists and food nutritionists have since called her out on that - especially considering she's neither a chemist, or a certified nutritionist, nor has any similar credentials to begin with. She had been shopping that story around for two years, before the media finally took the bait. To make matters worse, she shills quack products on her site as well. One of them is this goofball machine that is supposed to change the molecular structure of water to make it healthier - I kid you not, it's a glorified blender, that is it, a blender.

Not to mention, many of these trendy health food ingredients are not even really better for you than the stuff in fast food and processed foods. Agave is often sold as some sort of "healthy" sweetener, while High Fructose Corn Syrup is being damned to hell. Agave is actually *worse* for you and has higher fructose levels than HFCS, despite being "all natural". Stevia is another "all natural" sweetener that is popular these days, but in reality it's actually processed down to such high concentrations to achieve that noticeable sweetness, and there is little testing if it's safe to consume Stevia in such extremely high concentrates. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's safe to consume a lot of it - Nutmeg for example will cause hallucinations and possibly death if consumed in high amounts.

I enjoy fast food from time to time, but I just don't eat it seven days a week. Long before it would start hitting my waistline, it would certainly start hitting my wallet.

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I do. I haven't gotten sick because I ate fast food ever. I can't say the same about eating vegetables. I once ate lettuce, and my stomach got upset. I guess I am only used to eating unhealthy kinds of food. :p

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't eat fast food often because it's not a good value for the money. There are times when I've spent $7 on fast food and realized that I could have made a good dinner with $7.
    It doesn't make sense to spend $13 on two chicken sandwich combo meals when you can buy a bag of Tyson chicken patties for that money and make 22 chicken sandwiches at home.

11. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I try to stay away from it as it's terrible for you. I will eat some french fries or a biscuit every once in a while but that's about it. If I need something to eat fast I'll opt to get a sandwich or a salad from a grocery store deli instead.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly.. the thing I loathe more than the crap food industry, is those who don't think for themselves. Sorry, I loathe that they don't think for themselves, not them lol. They're going from one bad to the other. regarding your agave comment.. you're absolutely right. It's worse.. but people see the word natural and think they're doing themselves a favour. They got far enough to know that you can't believe everything an industry tries to sell you; make an effort to make a change to be healthier, then goes back to square one, believing everything the industry says because of one little word on a label lol.

Food Babe is a fear mongerer for her own monetary gain. Again, nobody is paying attention or thinking critically. They still live in the convenience mind frame.. it may not be convenient fast food for them anymore, but convenient information.. food babe saves them the time; they just believe everything she says. As long as they're eating a well balanced diet though, so be it. Nothing wrong with being healthy. Yoga mats in our food, safe or not.. if you're eating for health, you wouldn't be eating them anyway. Subway is not healthy and it's not just about the yoga mats or weather or not they'll make you fat.

You can't blame people though.. they are starting to fear everything the powerful say and for very good reason. So can you really not understand why they are so confused and unsure of who and what to listen to? What steps to take? We ARE being lied to about many things and food is a big one.

To answer the original question... no, I don't eat fast food. It's not about getting fat either. I'm sure I could starve myself enough to eat it often and stay thin, but I won't. I only eat foods that don't promote torture to animals and have little to no ingredients in them. Not out of fear of getting fat, because no matter how safe a long list of ingredients supposedly is.. it does have an affect on the body. It gives it more to do than necessary and it's not healthy, safe or not. Fat isn't the only thing people should fear.. it's amazing how it's the only thing most people think about when they eat. You're health should come first and if I can't live off it and stay healthy, I just won't eat it at all.. there's no point. Except coffee, I love coffee LOL

#12Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  13. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    Thanks for all of the great feedback, I also heard about the subway rumor and wasn't sure if it was true or not. I was hoping that someone would mention the most recent rumor about McDonald's, I heard that they found human remains in there ingredients. There was also some scientific testing that was done to prove this but I'm still not sure if it is true or not. I just hope that it's not because that is a horrible thought that has not left my head since I heard about it.

14. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    What kind of rumor did you hear actually? If you could share it with us, we'd be in better position to give our opinion about it. Just for the record, I prefer to have some fast food twice a week.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Human remains? Why would they go through all that trouble when they can simply incorporate the normal ingredients in our food? I hope it's not true at all. Here in my country there are no such rumors about those brands that you mentioned, so that's good. I still have nothing to worry about when eating fast food.

16. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I always start by looking at snopes.com for rumors of any kind. If I worried overly much about what was in food I may never eat again. For example the

Yet I still eat peanut butter and just don't think about it. It has not killed me yet. "Rumors" are generally just that rumors, spread by someone like the aforementioned Food Babe. If you see it on a legitimate news source that is another story.

17. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I don't. I did when I was a kid and no one knew any better. My mom would buy us happy meals and then we graduated to the other items on the menu. I have had it for years and I have a slew of health problems. I will never give my kids that crap. My mom thought she was treating us, but we all have anxiety issues.

18. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    I've heard everything from "chicken nuggets are made of pink slime" to "taco bell uses horse meat". I for one don't believe any of this unless it is on a reputable news site or news channel. Most of these rumors start online just for the sake of page views, shares or maybe even scaring others (???). On my local news channel, there was a news segment in which McDonalds put the "pink slime" rumor to rest. I just don't believe rumors like that, I could go start up a website myself in a matter of a few hours and have everybody believing pigs could fly if wanted. You just have to be careful about what you believe. Don't be afraid because of the rumors, the majority are nothing but lies.

19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard some nasty rumors about how the food is being done inside the kitchen of these fast food chains, but I still do enjoy eating fast food. I actually even eat street food. They're really delicious.

20. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    Of course I eat fast food. Rumors are rumors I say. There is nothing like fast food. You can't expect people to give it up on rumors when those rumors are confirmed then I will give them up but before that I cannot give it up.