How Do You Get Rid Of A Keylogger?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by sidney • Oct 26, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I posted a thread before about using virtual machines to dodge keyloggers, but many members advised against it. Now the keylogger has been installed on the pc, and it wasn't detected by Avg, Malware Bytes, Spybot and Windows Defender. I had to download many anti-keylogging software for it to be detected. The keylogger is PC Agent, and it uses hooks to do it's thing. I deleted AVG and Spybot already, but Spy Shelter still alerts me that it attempts to record my keystrokes, mouse clicks, and attempts to take screenshots using other legit programs and processes in the pc. So is there a software that can get rid of this? Or I have no choice but to reformat the pc?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The simple way to remove keyloggers is by using software specially designed for the removal of keyloggers. Of course if you can identify the files associated with the keylogger you can manually delete those files but since there's no guarantee that would completely remove the keylogger, it would be best to actually use software to get rid of it.

I'll suggest using the software you can download from the link below

But you can also look around the net for similar and maybe, better software if you want to.

3. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    Another way you can try to remove it is going onto forums such as bleepingcomputer.com. They can give some pretty good advice on how to get rid of malware in the malware removal section of the forums. Also, if you don't feel like doing that, you can download Malwarebytes: Anti-Malware and run a threat scan to find any potential malware recognized by the database today. Try it out today, it might just solve your problem!

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @ Denis Hard, thanks for the link, I have already downloaded it last week, but I have yet to install it, I was busy looking for a full version of Spy Shelter, since I use a 64-bit pc and the free version doesn't support it. I'm not getting my hopes up though, since not all software can detect all keyloggers.

@ Crazyman1090, I actually posted my question there last Sun. and considering the long queue, it will take some time for them to attend to it. And unfortunately, Malware Bytes was unable to help me detect it.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Interesting, I had never heard of SpyShelter before, and I just installed it on my system and I'm doing the 14 day trial. Even if you are on a 64 bit machine, you can still do a trial of it for free for two weeks, of the premium version - which is what I am doing.

Since it's a commercial product, there is information on the manufacturers web site on how to remove it, but you would need access to the "control center" which I'm assuming you don't have. You can read their official response here:

Otherwise you may need to do a manual removal. There are likely instructions out there if you do a search on Google, but I would also suggest filtering your search to results within the last year or perhaps last few months - since older removal methods may not work if they regularly update their software.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @ ohiotom76, thanks for the effort of searching the net to help me with my problem, but I forgot to mention in my first post that I also downloaded the installer of PC Agent to see how it works and to see what info did my nosy brother get to see since I use Key Scrambler too, and after an hour or two I uninstalled it. You get to choose to rename the keylogger, so I choose some sarcastic name aimed at my bro for the keylogger's file name, and I allowed Spy Shelter to record the keylogger's activity. After I uninstalled my version of PC Agent, that's how I learned which name he used to conceal the keylogger since I still get alerts. The uninstaller seems to recognize the "owner" of the running version, so the control center doesn't recognize the active and running keylogger in the pc.