Mixed Healthy & Junk Food Dishes

Discussion in Food & Drink started by TPhoenix • Oct 26, 2014.

1. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Are you one of those people guilty of going out to buy junk food when there's nothing much in The House to eat but only buy fast food proportionally? Like do you have a tendency sometimes to buy a small burger from McDonald's, then maybe an Apple pie from Pizza Pizza, then return home and mix it with a plate of healthy greens of salad and spinach? I just did this today for Saturday night dinner and I'm wondering if I'm the only one.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I combined my salads with processed peanuts and other nuts and I often eat some oreos after I have eaten a very wholesome and healthy meal. There are a lot of junk foods I couldn't live without, those that I couldn't just abandon. So I compensate my consumption of them by eating healthy and nutritious meals like salads. Besides I don't meat and other fatty foods that are best when fried, so I think there space for bad food and other rich foods could be now occupied by the junk foods that I really really like.

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to keep my meals separate rather than mix them like you. If I'm hungry I try to avoid fast food because it doesn't fill you up. There are a lot of empty calories in it. If I eat fast food I'll get hungry again in a few hours. I'd rather keep it healthy and also filling by eating a dish with more protein and supplement it with veggies/grains.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really, the idea of eating processed fast food with fresh food would probably give me an upset stomach, because it would make the processed chemical taste of the fast food stand out even more when contrasted against the healthy fresher ingredients. McDonald's burgers for example, are heavily doctored up with manufactured scents to give them a really specific smell. I believe they can get away with saying their burgers are "all beef" because the amounts of these chemicals are small enough, but they are still noticeable. They are also super salty, as well as contain sugars. If I were eating something like fresh salad along with it, it would ruin the fresh taste of the lettuce and other veggies for me.

I don't even like to eat my home made pico de gallo on cheap tortilla chips, the ones that are all greasy and salty and rancid tasting. Ideally if I had a deep fryer, I would make my own chips fresh, but otherwise I go with a better name bag of chips that I know taste fresh.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't feel guilty at all, life is too short. Maybe I will have one bag of chips rather than two, but I never feel bad about what I choose to eat. The junk food I eat is pizza and fries and I eat those at home as well, so I treat myself on days when I need comfort food. As for healthy, there are days I feel like it and days I don't. I think you should eat what you body tells you and what you enjoy.

As a child I hated being told what to eat and never enjoyed certain meals, as a result I no longer touch those foods at all psychologically.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sometimes eat home made side dishes along with fast food. It's not necessarily a health thing. Sometimes I just think, "This leftover potato salad that I made yesterday would be good with fried chicken, but I don't feel like frying so I'll go to Popeye's."

The grossest examples of mixing homemade food with fast food are when the guys from youtube's Epic Meal Time buy a bag of burgers and make some crazy concoction out of them, like Meat City or 20,000 Calorie Burrito.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your body is never asking for junk food lol. Your body craves nutrients, your addiction to sugars and salts etc translates that to sugars and salts etc lol.

I don't mix. I make all of my own meals and eat predominately whole foods. I do have a few processed backups (dips and sauces etc) as backups when I don't have ingredients on hand or if I'm feeling lazy.. no biggie. It's never as good, but it does the job.

OMG those guys are revolting LOL. Funny, but revolting. Walking talking heart attacks, I couldn't imagine what they're arteries look like. Money talks though lol

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol. I am not one of these people. If I am going to eat junk then I just eat the junk. I don't mix it with anything that I may consider to be healthy. The same goes for healthy foods. I often just eat healthy food with healthy food. I rarely mix them. Though I suppose it could b a good idea since fatty foods or foods with high sugar content are needed for a balanced diet too. You cannot just eat greens all your life and expect to have a healthy and balanced diet.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Plenty of sugars in fruits and plenty of fats in actual food sources, there's absolutely no need for junk foods, but I know the appeal. I dare anyone to not die eating just one food source.. good luck with that LOL. Especially just greens.. yowza

10. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I think we all are guilty of this to a certain extent. America loves junk food and we love healthy eating as well. By eating or I guess you could say mixing,It's like getting the best of both worlds. I personally try to eat a little bit of everything and not too much of one thing in particular. For example, one day I may have Taco Bell for lunch, and then just a salad and can of fruit for dinner. Then of course it's always the drinking beverages that come in to play as well. I drink lots of water, but balance it with wine, soda and water.

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say that I do what you're describing, but sometimes I am guilty of mixing super healthy and not so healthy foods in one meal. I think the key to a healthy diet overall isn't cutting out junk 100% but just moderation...so I don't really have a problem having a junky element here and there, and just working out a little more to give myself some peace of mind with it ;).