Do you wear out your clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by DancingLady • Oct 27, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Do you wear your clothes until they are completely worn out? I do, especially with work clothes. I won't get rid of a work shirt until it has a few repaired holes and isn't worth repairing any more of them. I don't like to waste money by getting new clothes when I still have ones that are acceptable. I try to wear them until they are totally worn out and only usable as rags.

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I wear them out and then some! I wear them out and then I use them for cloth rags to dust my house. I like to make sure I get my moneys worth. I use denim to make bags and other things as well. So much to do with old clothes! Check out pinterest for some crafting ideas.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I usually wear my clothes until they turn into rag material. But once they start showing too much wear and tear, I don't wear them outside my home anymore. Instead I enjoy the ultimate comfort of those worn out clothes, filled with holes, thinning patches and stains, to work around the house. I only ever rip them up and use them as rags if they are not wearable anymore.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do wear out clothes more often than not. It's just not in my nature to frequently change my wardrobe and go where the fashion wave flows. I always think: "Tailors and seamstresses did their best to produce clothes like the ones I'm wearing. It's not easy to sew clothes for other people. Why should I take their efforts lightly?" So I wear out my clothes and do these honorable people in the clothes manufacturing industry justice. I'm also fond of mixing and matching clothes so it's not easy for me to discard stuff. I'm a sentimental wearer.

5. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I wear stuff out, particularly nightclothes. However when my clothes have holes in them I don't wear them outside anymore, reserving them instead for lounging around the house, painting, or whatever. I do love buying new clothes though as I have stated several times on these forums. And socks, socks with holes I will throw away and replace.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this too but I usually just downgrade them to home use if they start to look very old. I like doing it this way because I still am able to get maximum use out of them but also I get to look a bit better at home than I normally would with other less quality clothing that was meant for home use. I know it shouldn't matter much since no one will see me at home anyway, but it uplifts my spirits and I just think it's more practical to do it this way.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I always wear out my clothes especially the ones that I wear to work every day!

8. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    Yes, I'm a sucker for not getting rid of my clothes until they are worn out. I have clothes that I brought 10 years ago and I'm still wearing them proudly until the buttons fall off. I don't like to waste money on clothes that I don't need, if I'm going somewhere special and want to buy new clothes for that occasion, I just add it to my collection. A lot of people get rid of clothes right before they go shopping for new clothes and I think that's a waste unless you can't fit it anymore or it has some significant damage.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have clothes that I bought more than 10 years ago that I still wear up to now. I don't often buy clothes unless I need it, but when I do, I buy them and wear them sparingly, because I want to wear out my old clothes before I regularly use the new ones.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My clothes are always worn until they are unfit to be worn. That doesn't mean going around in rags in the name of being frugal. When they get frayed or come close to that then I know they are well past their prime. For pants, I can re-purpose them but shirts and jackets . . . you can't do much with them once they're worn out save for using them as cleaning rags.

11. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, because I don't like shopping for new clothes. My sisters would sometimes tell me, "Hey stop wearing rags, you should buy clothes." Lol. I just hate shopping, though buying shoes is a different matter.

12. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I totally wear out my old clothes, especially jeans, for some reason they manage to get totally worn out, I guess it has something to do with the way I walk. T-shirts I also wear them a lot, but from a point on they just look too bad for me to keep wearing them.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, name it: jeans, tees, and shoes. In fact I wouldn't buy another until they have completely gone worn out and beyond repair. My jeans particularly would have to be torn in such ways that are too revealing that my privates could already be seen. Only when it comes to the point that I would stop using that jeans. Basically when I wear clothes, I would wear them repeatedly and most frequently for a period, until I move on to the next clothes. I don't get shy however for wearing mutilated and worn out clothes. In fact I find them expressive and naturally stylish. I don't make them up though. I wait for them to happen on their own.

14. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Yeeeep! I am not ashamed to say I will wear my clothes until they are completely worn out. For work clothes, if I notice the pieces are not suitable for wearing outside the house anymore, then I'll wear them around the house until the pieces are 100% done and ready for the trash. Like yourself, I am all about saving money and I am very good at keeping my clothes in good quality and so forth. I am the queen of cheap, as my boyfriend say all the time.

15. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Steph and I are much the same- I get my money's worth and then some...I wear them until they're more or less unwearable, and then I re-purpose them for rags and other things for a little while. I don't have the money to be wasteful or frivolous even if I wanted to, with clothing or anything else for that matter right now. I don't understand people getting rid of their clothes at the first signs of any wear and tear, or worse even before there are any signs! Even if I had an unlimited budget and could get all the clothing that I wanted, I would still get a good amount of use out of the things I spend my money on.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wear my clothes out and then use them for rags or restyle them into something else. I really get my money's worth out of an item before I let it go if it is an item I paid a higher price for.

17. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, I sure do! I'm quite picky when it comes to clothes so if I find something that I really like I tend to wear that item until breaking point. Even after the point where I cannot wear clothes in the city anymore I still continue wearing them indoors, for work or exercise. A good side effect of this is that I tend to spend less than most people on clothes. And a bad one, my wardrobe is not that diverse.

18. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Clothes that I can't wear out in public usually become clothes I wear around the house. You will find me wearing shirts with holes in them and sweatpants with rips along the seams. There is no point in throwing around clothes that can be used for something entirely different.

19. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I don;t need to wear my clothes out to be honest. I wear shirt for 6-7 months before giving it to someone or selling it off on Quickr. Jeans, on the other hand, can be wore for more than 2 years if you keep them in good condition.

20. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, specially clothes that I only use at home. I don't care how torn are they now or how badly they need fixing now, as long as they can still cover up my skin/body pretty good, I would still wear them.