Ironing

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Oct 27, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's very rare for me to iron, most of my clothes don't need it and when some piece does need it, I have my wife that iron it for me. Do you usually iron? Is it a task that you enjoy doing or do you have your pay for someone iron your clothes?

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I hate ironing but do it when I need to. It only takes a couple of minutes but it's such a pain to get everything out. Thankfully I don't have to do it that often. The most I do is steam some items occasionally.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I usually iron my clothes every morning before I go to work. Most of the time, my sister or mother does the ironing. They do it in bulk though. Well, most of my every day clothes don't need to be ironed anymore.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Wow, now I am impressed chiof, you iron every single morning, how do you manage to have time for that? My wife usually does it in bulk as well, but when she needs a particular piece she also irons in the morning, but it's rare.

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    NEVER.

I own an iron and an ironing board, and the only time they come out of the basement is when I'm sewing or putting an iron-on patch on something for one of my kids.

But I also refuse to do my husband's laundry, and he's the only one who needs things pressed.

He only buys wrinkle free shirts and is pretty diligent to get them out of the dryer and hang them up immediately. When most of his shirts get to the point of needing a good ironing, he takes the entire lot to the cleaners and has them do it. At $0.75 a shirt, it is cheap enough to make the time saved totally worth it.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I mostly don't anymore but just out of laziness. I do own an iron and I do enjoy the activity as I find it oddly a bit relaxing. It's just that it takes a bit of time and sometimes I just feel to lazy to do it, and also most of my clothes won't stand out too much even if they weren't ironed. Some of my button downs, however, require it, so I usually do iron it just before using it if I really had to, and I actually enjoy the heat that comes off it anyway.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I used to iron my clothes every week because I liked to look really nice and wrinkle free. Then some things happened and I really did not want to look so nice so I deliberately stopped ironing so I would look messier and less attractive. I do a lot of ironing at work when I do laundry. I enjoy it quite a lot, it's fun to see the wrinkles disappearing. I still iron some of my clothes for special occasions though, just not every day.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a well known fact among all I know I can't iron and have never been good at doing laundry!

I don't iron and my feeble attempts have been met by people saying, " Do you want me to iron it for you?" or stifled giggles. I choose clothes that don't need ironing and if they do, I do my best and sometimes ruin the clothes.

I once had a friend stay over and wanted to use the iron and I'd forgotten how to use it or where it was!!!

9. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I really tried to save up on ironing by only ironing the clothes that really needed ironing. If the clothes look okay without the ironing, like blouses that are wrinkle-free, then I would not iron them. I read up on ways to avoid ironing, and I could say some methods have worked, some have not.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the clothes and where I'm going. If it's just a normal work day or an informal outing with friends or family, I forgo ironing my clothes. Besides, I use fabric conditioner to give the clothes a smooth, straightened look. If I'm going to a formal event, however, I always see to it that my clothes are well-pressed so as not to embarrass whoever I'm with. Ironed clothes make you look more sophisticated than usual too.

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely iron, sometimes I will in small batches if I have enough clothes that need it, but mostly I just don't bother. It isn't my least favorite or most hated chore, but I'm not a fan of it either...I always just end up thinking of all the other things that I could be doing with my time, lol. But if ironing gets done in my house, it's typically me that ends up doing it.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's the same case for me Jessi, I can't recall the last time I've ironed a piece of clothe. Luckily my job doesn't requires me to come all ironed up, I don't even need to wear a shirt, so in the rare occasions my clothes need to be ironed my wife is kind enough to do it. :)

13. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever iron clothes. For some reason, most of my clothes come off of the clothesline without any wrinkles. The only time I really iron is when I am sewing. Ironing is essential to sewing and having things come out neat. So, for this reason, this is when I do iron.

14. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I payed for ironing clothes was when I needed a suit straightened out. I'm pretty sure I could've done the ironing myself but I heard that suits are more pretentious, so to avoid ruining what I consider an expensive piece of clothing, I payed for a 'professional'. For common clothes like t-shirts, pants, dresses I do the ironing myself - I find the time spent doing it relaxing and removing all those wrinkles has a zen like effect on my mind :)

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, this was said with emotion claire! Why do you hate it so much? Usually women love to see themselves and their family really well dressed and wrinkle free, so I am somewhat surprised when you say that you refuse. Either cases, you make a point, it's cheap to iron them out.

16. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I don't iron too often until my clothes get really crushed after doing the laundry. It's one activity that can be such a pain, especially if I'm in a rush to get somewhere in the same time frame that I'm ironing. It takes patience to run that iron on a fabric material, steam and smooth it out. Shirts are much easier than jeans pants though. And then sometimes if it takes too long, I feel to just turn up the heat on the iron but fear burning my clothes. Oh the struggles I have sometimes I tell you.

17. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually iron all my clothes as most of them are cotton made. I do not enjoy doing it but still prefer to do it myself. I think it is a waste of money to give the clothes for ironing to someone else. Also I am scared that people will not take care of my clothes in the right manner.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    One of the issues I have with ironing is that smell that comes from the iron in contact with the clothes, it gives me allergies. If we do have the time and don't have such problems I agree that it's a waste of money akiii, but it's really convenient.