Drugs dependence

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Oct 28, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know a few cases of people who got injured or depressed and the doctor prescribed them drugs like painkillers or anti-depressants, but after they were cured they become dependent to the drug. I don't know if there isn't a better alternative to help in those cases?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There could be better alternatives yeah, but such methods work a little bit more slower in helping the depressed people. That's why these drugs are given because they work a little bit faster. There are herbal remedies for depression but since most people don't have much faith in herbal remedies they wouldn't find them all that helpful.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Society is too reliant on medicine so yes there definitely are better alternatives to this. I guess people only think of short term though. It works fast so they use it but if you take too much aspirin for example you can get liver damage. Anti-depressants can be especially dangerous because it messes with your mind. It is important to remember that the mind controls everything so if it gets messed up with chemicals you are doomed.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess that in many cases people don't even think, they rely blindly on doctors and end up drugged when sometimes there is a healthier alternative to cure us. I am anti-drugs, I don't take medicines unless I really need and I always question my doctors about the prescriptions they give me.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    This is one of the downsides of science and technology for me. With the release of new drugs every few years or so, more and more people are becoming too addicted to them. One way to help them would be to take them to a professional - a rehab facility. It would be really difficult to do this on your own because the other person might deny that he or she is indeed addicted to a certain drug.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess the blame is on the patient and not the doctor, because they abused the use of the drug. The doctor just prescribed what will cure them, the patient should know when to stop taking it. I think if the experts in the medical field develop enough powerful herbal and organic cures, then being drug dependent can be prevented.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people are predisposed to getting addicted to substances, and others are not. Doctors can't tell beforehand that a person's going to get addicted to a medication designed to help the condition in question. It's not really anybody's fault, although addiction is incredibly seriously and very difficult to combat. Doctors should consider trying alternative means to helping their patients before choosing prescription drugs that are known to be involved in addition more than others.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A lot of times people are scared of the intense pain that they are experiencing, be it physical or mental, and that's why they get hooked on painkillers and anti-depressants. A good counselor, which might be a friend or a professional, will go a long way in helping to find a natural balance again. There are different kinds of therapies. Usually they involve talking about the issues that are causing inner conflicts and focusing on some creative outlets.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is true Dora, but at the same time I feel that ignorance is behind many cases of dependence. Like you say, people are afraid, they don't get informed and follow blindly the advice of doctors that in some cases don't even care to explain things properly.

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Drug dependency is really bad for health and one should be very careful while doing something like that. I am sure that once in a while we need to take drug but we need to change control it.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's such a thing as alternative medicine. These types of medicine are mostly plant-based so the effects are real and the concentration of nutrients is high. Compared to drugs, herbs aren't synthetic and all the vitamins and minerals you get from them are genuine, not manufactured. You'll have better chances of healing an injury through herbal medicine. Depression is a different thing altogether. I wonder why clinics administer drugs to depressed people when what's really needed is not a synthetic cure but a strong support system and activities that prevents the generation of awful thoughts.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are they really cured? I guess some will learn how to be happier while the drugs trick them, but I don't think a cure is on the medicine at all. And they are so risky. Very bad for health. Everyone should try every lifestyle change possible before opting for drugs. I personally don't think there is a need for drugs at all in this case, but many will disagree with me.

13. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Drug dependence is always a terrible thing, whether it is painkillers, depression pills or even hard drugs.
    It's a major issue of our times, these things should be much more restricted and only be used when the doctor prescribes them, but we know that where there's a need there will be a supplier.

14. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    If drug dependence is something you worry about I would definitely talk to your doctor about your pain interference program and ask them to prescribe you something that is either non-addictive or something that is less likely to be a problem for you. Drug dependence is a serious thing - especially if you need medicine because you are in pain. Just remember to be honest with yourself about how much pain you are actually in and only take amounts of medicine that will adequately help alleviate your issue.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think there's a good enough alternative for now because if there was then surely it would be more popular. I'm guessing that these just work best and are the most efficient and even if we can find some similar alternatives they probably won't be as strong or will probably not work as quickly. Hopefully someday there will be less side effects for the newer versions but for now it really is best to just stay alert.

16. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that awareness has to be created that swallowing a pill doesn't simply solve a problem, but might also create others, namely addiction. This is the main problem with our current medicine, we talk about the benefits, but not so much about the side effects.