How you make your quick meals?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Aurora • Oct 28, 2014.

1. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I like eating spaghetti very much. I usually cook my own spaghetti. It is simple and quick to do. All I need is a pack of spaghetti, some tomatoes, boiling water, and herbs (optional).

Steps:
    1. Boil a pot of hot water.
    2. Place the spaghetti into the pot with boiling water.
    3. Heat the pan and put some oil into the pan.
    4. (Optional) I usually skip this step because I like eating tomatoes skins. Drop the tomatoes into the boiling water for a few minutes, get them out of the hot water and peel off their skins.
    5. Slice the tomatoes, herbs and heat them in the pan.
    6. Get the spaghetti out of the pot and mixed it with the sliced tomatoes.
    7. Cover the pan with the lid for a few minutes and the meals are ready.

2. Teens In Crisis

Teens In CrisisMember

Threads:
    I like to do simple Turkey Tacos.

1. Brown the ground turkey.
    2. Add in a packet or 2 of "Taco Seasoning" and some hot sauce.
    3. Grill up a few tortillas.
    4. Put the extras on the side: Tomatoes, Lettuce, Sour Cream, Pico.

My family goes nuts on Taco Tuesday, and it's relatively cheap & filling.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You can make pasta even faster in your microwave. It doesn't work as well for stuff like angel hair pasta or spaghetti, but sturdier pastas such as penne or rigatoni work just fine. Just get a large glass bowl and add some pasta then top it off with a few inches of water over the pasta. Microwave it on high for about 12 minutes (8 minutes for egg noodles) then drain. In the time it takes you to get a pot of water boiled, your pasta can be cooked and done.

Another option is to make it a one pan pasta dish, where you would saute your tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc. first, then throw in dried pasta and just enough water to cook the pasta but have it be absorbed or completely evaporated by the time the pasta is cooked. Just put a lid on the pan and let it do it's work. I think Martha Stewart coined the phrase "wonderpot" for these types of recipes.

For "quick" meals, there are a lot of options really. I mean, I could make a burger and fries in just minutes. I thaw the frozen fries in the microwave for a bit then pan fry them until they are golden and crispy. If I am using a big enough pan I will even fry the burger in the same pan as the fries, which seasons the fries with the burger grease a bit. Then just toast a bun under the broiler and prepare my toppings.

Another favorite would just be some fajitas, steak or chicken. A couple minutes of quick prep to make the home made pico de gallo, and shred some lettuce. Then I quickly sear the meat with some Mexican themed seasonings (I'm not a fan of pre mixed taco seasoning personally), slice it up and assemble. If I am really hungry I will make some Mexican rice to go along with it, by preparing instant rice but for the water I use half chicken stock and half of a spicy Mexican tomato sauce such as El Pato brand. Salsa will work in a pinch but it is much more vinegary. Within 6 minutes the rice is done, and I can even add some frozen peas and corn in there too for color. If I want some black beans to go along with it, I will just mix some drained black beans with the remainder of the spicy tomato sauce and microwave that.

Panini's are another favorite, especially if I have some leftover meats already cooked - but I can do Vegetarian ones as well. One of my favorites is to get a jar of those hot peppers packed in oil (they usually come with garlic and oregano in them as well), and empty some of the peppers into a pan along with some of their oil, and saute some fresh spinach with them. Then I will slice open a ciabatta roll, and add some Provolone and/or Mozzarella, the sauteed spinach and pepper mixture, maybe some tomato or sundried tomato, then assemble into a sandwich and brush the outsides with a little more of the pepper oil and place the whole thing under my Panini grill until the outside is dark brown and crispy and the inside is all melted through.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I simply grate some raw vegetables, such as carrots, beetroots and radish, chop up a few tomatoes, a small onion, and half a bunch of parsley. Then I add some nuts, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and salt, toss it all together, and voila! my salad is ready. And if I have another ten minutes available, I just combine some buckwheat flour with a bit of oil, salt and water, mix it well and make pancakes. :)

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    If I need something quick I'll cook a chicken breast on the stovetop and steam some veggies. I also make tacos for a quick meal too. If I am really crunched for time, I like making wraps or sandwiches to go. They are simple but always filling and tasty.

6. Teens In Crisis

Teens In CrisisMember

Threads:
    Lately I've been doing just sliced carrots, celery, and mushrooms. I'll mix a little blue cheese dressing & hot sauce together, and it's a great way to get the sensation of eating "wings" without actually eating any. It has worked for me so far, and I really enjoy the different flavors and textures. I tried it with tomatoes but it just didn't really strike me as something worth repeating.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My fastest meals are leftovers. I cook a lot on the weekends and save meals in plastic containers for the week. Yes, I'm boring.

If I need to make a quick meal from scratch, then I go with a cheese quesadilla. They take about 5 minutes to make. Add a side salad and I'm done. If I want something more substantial, I will make a tomato and mozzarella grill cheese sandwich. I spread either pesto or spicy tomato hummus onto my choice of bread, add slice tomatoes, mozzarella with a couple of fresh basil leaves. Delicious.

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    To answer you OP: I make my quick meals never slow, medium, or partially quick, that's for sure.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My quick meal is spaghetti, I just ground some turkey meat. I use sauce out of a jar so thats quick add a salad and some bread and dinner is ready.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I could make my own meals, but unfortunately, I don't know how to cook. So my quick meals are either fastfood, canned goods, or eggs and hotdog.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Usually just throw in some sausages or similar products like Spam in the oven and let them cook that way while I take a bath. Sometimes I also put in some hash browns and that way when I'm done with my morning chores my food will be ready already as well. The best thing about it is that I don't really have to do much so I get to finish a lot more of my chores.

12. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    My fastest meal could be jam sandwiches. It takes a minute to do it. It is bad that I do not store bread at my house and I want to eat something really cooked. If I am so hungry I sincerely hope there are apples in my house but usually I still need some heat dishes to fill myself up for lunch or dinners. Spaghetti is good to be my quick meals since I am sure I must have it in my house.

13. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Pasta is a really quick meal for me as well. When I am in a hurry or can't think of anything else to make, I just cook pasta. I also love making scrambled eggs. :)

14. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I find most pasta need to boil in hot water to be tasty, especially the angel hair. The only exception is the shell spaghetti. I can find the very thin one that I can do without boiling it. I usually immense it with cold tap water for a few minutes while I prepare my tomatoes. I rinse and drain it before I mixed it and cook it with tomatoes when I am lazy. Let the pasta with the tomatoes for a few minutes and I can have my delicious pasta.

15. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Pasta is always a nice quick meal for us as well...same with quickly doing fish or shrimp on the stovetop, maybe stir fry style. Honestly "quick" hasn't really been my focus lately, I work at home and I love cooking, so I'm more than happy to put some extra time and creativity into trying new, nutritional meals for my family. If I want something with little effort, I'm more like to go with dropping something in the slow cooker and letting it take care of itself than for something super fast.