Getting haircuts at a beauty school?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by joyful728 • Oct 29, 2014.

1. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    Hi everyone! Has anyone had any experience with haircuts at a beauty school? I am thinking of taking my two boys, ages 6 and 9, for hair cuts. It is about half price and I don't think its that difficult to cut their hair. Now, I don't know if I'd trust them for my hair, but they can practice on my kids, LOL. (Well as long as they are SAFE.)

Please share any positive or negative experiences you have had. Also if you have any other tips for saving on haircuts please let me know. :)

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had it done in training salons as a hair model, but usually boys cuts are fairly cheap and quick.

It depends on the school, but some may have an age limit for insurance purposes depending where you live. I know in the UK you have to be 16 years of age at least. Personally I wouldn't recommend it for boys so young as the hairdresser may only be a teenager and not used to children. If they hate it they will cry and that can be worse.

You could do it yourself? I'm sure it's a trim still at their age rather than a style. Often at these places, times are limited and you have to wait after each instruction given and the teacher assesses the cut, so if they have a short attention span, it won't be good for either side.

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Theo. Since they are young you could probably save money by giving them a trim yourself or going to a barber.

I have been to an Aveda school for haircuts. They give a discount since the students are doing the work. They are supervised and have to show their mentor their work. It was a good experience.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would never go to a beauty school and get the hair cut done. It is really very scary to do so and I do not enjoy experimenting with my hair without the help of the trained professional. I also think it is better to go to a normal beauty parlour to get a haircut.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I once got my hair cut in a beauty school for free when I was young. Well, it's because my mom was the one learning how to cut hair and I was very young then so really don't have a choice. :) I totally forgot how it was though. But my husband did try it a few weeks back (upon a friend's request - also a student at a beauty school). Overall, I think the haircut is pretty decent. I don't see any difference between a real barber's haircut and that one. :D

6. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    The community college I went to had a huge and wonderful cosmetology school and I had several close friends who were enrolled in the program. It was nothing for me to walk over there and get a hair cut, color or even a skin or nail treatment. The students are trained by professionals and as long as you let a student do it who has a bit of experience under their belt you should be fine. The students are always supervised and their instructors are always helpful. Plus, you can get great work done at a deep discount because it is an educational environment. I'd definitely say go for it unless you have hair anxiety.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had my hair cut at beauty college a few times now. I've only ever had a basic trim though - never any colour. I figure that they can't really mess up a basic straight trim so I'm quite happy to use the college and I've always had great results. I'm glad to be able to give them someone to practise on too - how else are they going to learn?

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that taking kids to a beauty school is fine. The worst that can happen is that they have a few thin patches here and there. ;) But personally, I wouldn't expose myself to trainees. I've had too many bad hair saloon experiences in the past, and that was with alleged "hair experts". So, these days I just cut my hair myself.

9. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    I got one when I was a teenager, when one of my cousins was studying in a beauty school. I don't really remember if I liked it or not, but my mother didn't raise any objections. I can only suppose it was of enough quality

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter has been an instructor at one of the local hair school for many years. She teaches the students how to cut hair and other services the school offers. There is an instructor on the floor to supervise the students or a senior student to watch or the beginner. Mistakes do happen but most of the time it does turn out ok. The service is done at a discounted price.