Which Hobbies Can Save You Money?

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by Denis Hard • Oct 29, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people tend to spend too much money either going out and paying for entertainment or have hobbies which are so expensive or risky that they will be spending a lot of money [on them] or in case of an accident probably all their savings would go into their treatment. But I'm sure there are some hobbies which will not only be enjoyable but can also help someone save some cash in the process.

Suggestions, please?

#1Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    This is a great question! The first thing that comes to mind, might be camping - well camping on state parks where there is NO fee to set up your tent - after you have bought you tent and supplies - then ultimately you will save a little money during camping because you will not have to pay for electricity (that you would be using while at home). However honestly I don't think it will save you much money, but it can be a fairly inexpensive hobby.

I guess some hobbies can pay you - such as secret shopping (which could be enjoyable for some!), survey taking, etc.

Also some hobbies can save you money in the long run over the course of your life - for example if your hobby is running / walking, you are less like to develop heart disease, diabetes, depression, have a stroke, etc.... so ultimately you could save thousands and thousands of dollars in prescriptions and health care.

And, I guess if someone truly enjoys donating plasma (though that would be a strange hobby!), they could make a good 200+ bucks a month on it.

Also, if someone really enjoys doing make-up as a hobby, then they could make some extra bucks by selling Mary Kay.

At the moment I can't think of anymore, but this is an excellent question ~

3. Teens In Crisis

Teens In CrisisMember

Threads:
    My daughter has really got into sewing, and makes a ton of dresses for her friends and herself. She's charges just a little over what the costs are, and she always has money in her pockets.

We also have a little garden that costs almost nothing to maintain, and provides produce that we use pretty regularly. Those seem like pretty great hobbies that cost very little.

4. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    If you some skills in writing stories, or poetry, you may want to maintain a website. You can then participate in some affiliate programs of some companies where you can put their advertisement and earn a little from their exposure or get commission from every sale. If you have a camera, you can try photography and then sell your photographs. Another trend is cellphone photography, you may also want to try that. good luck to you.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite hobby that saves money is thrift shopping. Not only for clothes but household items that can be new or like new. I've been doing this for years. I started going with my mother and browsed around and was amazed at what I saw and what the prices were. Name brand clothing marked much less than department stores. I like to DIY and will find a piece of furniture and reupholster it, after I clean it up of course. Sometimes I go with a specific item in mind and other times I go just to look around. A great way to save money.

6. Teens In Crisis

Teens In CrisisMember

Threads:
    If you take pictures, check out FOAP it's a good app and I've made some bucks on that too, as well as EasyShift. There is a youtube channel called Workers OnBoard, if you check that one out, it has some really good resources for working from home.

7. Teens In Crisis

Teens In CrisisMember

Threads:
    I've also been collecting cellphones, computers, and electronics. You can learn to harvest gold and other metals, I learned on Youtube. It's not going to make you rich, but I pick up all kinds of free stuff and then use it or resell it after fixing it or painting it. Not a bad way to get some extra moolah

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying items at thrift stores to resell on ebay is a profitable hobby. I bought some coffee mugs at Goodwill that were from a pottery that went out of business.
    I bought the mugs for 50 cents each and sold them for $20 each. I know people who do this kind of flipping full time. They buy designer shirts at Goodwill for $3 and sell them for $20 or more because they are high end brands. I bought some Anthropologie dinner plates for 50 cents each and sold the 4 of them for $40.