What do you have growing in your garden?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Serena • Oct 29, 2014.

1. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    What do you have growing in your garden? I am currently growing tomatoes, onions, zucchini, butternut squash, carrots, lettuce, cabbage, pigeon peas, and cow peas. I am looking forward to harvesting and not having to buy from the market during this time. It will surely save me some money and taste so delicious.

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Where do you live?

In North Carolina we're about to have our first frost, so that will be the absolute end of my final straggling tomatoes and peppers. I didn't plant any hearty squash this year. I've been researching "Fall Gardening" though, and I think I'm about to plant garlic, onions, and brussels sprouts. These can stay in the ground over a mild winter and supposedly will be sweeter come harvest time next year.

As for things GROWING over the winter, I'll be moving one or two herbs indoors to see if they'll continue to grow. Rosemary, mint, and oregano have consistently survived the winters here, so those will stay out.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm growing some basil, red beans and onions. I don't think that I'll be trying to grow anything sophisticated anytime soon, hardy herbs and plants require much less attention and can still save you money, while tasting better than store-bought variants! :)

4. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Hi Clairebeautiful,

I am from Ghana. The coldest it ever gets here is 22C and that is at night. We grow year round here. We are going in to our dry season. So, there will be no rain, but many of our seeds are drought resistant and I have a rain harvesting system that has stored water from the rainy season. This will allow me to water all my food during the dry season. I have never had brussels sprouts before, but I do hope to plant some garlic soon.
    As for things GROWING over the winter, I'll be moving one or two herbs indoors to see if they'll continue to grow. Rosemary, mint, and oregano have consistently survived the winters here, so those will stay out.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, to call it a "garden" would be an understatement. We grow crops and a bunch of assorted plants on this strip of land just across our house. Throughout the years, my dad's already grown the following: a full-fledged Jack Fruit tree that bears a hundred or so fruits in a year, a calamondin bush which serves as butterflies' alternative food plant, papayas, bananas, rows of orchids, flowering plants and ferns and various vegetables like water spinach and Moringga.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually plants crops that can survive the harshest weather. Right now, I have some kales and peppers in my garden. I don't how long the pepper will survive but I'm sure the kales will get through the coldest season. I'm thinking of adding some parsley but maybe it's too late right now.

p.s If you don't get much snowfall where you live then I'd recommend growing kales because they are cold-hardy.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    In our garden, we have vegetables, shrubs, herbs, and flowering plants. Some of the plants that we have are okras, eggplants, tomatoes, pandan, calamansi, guyabano, ashitaba, and roses. :) My mom and I are really proud of our garden though there are times that we cannot maintain it because we are too busy.

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a garden yet, before we moved we had a fairly big one with a lot of produce growing, but we moved to an apartment and while I'd love to have a small kitchen one, I'm not sure of the feasibility of that considering we don't have any windows in our kitchen? I'd love to do a small herb garden at least, though, because I really miss growing my own food and herbs...maybe I'll look into it a bit more and see if there's any way to make it work :).

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only have a container garden because I'm an apartment dweller but I grow herbs in the containers like basil, mint and oregano. I also have a ginger plant and a tomato plant.

10. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    xTinx,

Indeed, garden would be an underestimate. As for myself, crops would be appropriate because of large proportions, but I felt that using the word garden would be more universal. Jackfruit does not grow here, but we have some imported here from South Africa and they look mighty big. I do love Moringa and it grows here wild. I love the taste of Moringa tea in the morning. As for fruit trees/bushes, I have several species of mango growing, papaya, soursop, sweetsop, guava, banana, plantain, pineapple, passion fruit, orange, and grapefruit.

11. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    We have tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, and some herbs. Next year I'd like to plant some fruit. I have heard it is a little more difficult or can be, anyway. I love eating vegetables fresh out of my garden. It's also a great weekend activity. Looking outside and seeing my little garden makes me very happy :)