The best messaging app?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Squigly • Oct 29, 2014.

1. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    There are many messaging apps vying for market share, but the top few are probably Whatsapp, Line, Facebook Chat and Snapchat.

Which of these do you use/prefer, and why? I have been using Whatsapp for the most part, but I recent discovered Snapchat and switched to it. I think that having my messages automatically deleted after a while helps to maintain some privacy, something which is rapidly fading in this day and age.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well Facebook certainly is not the best application to use. There was an article about all of the underhand and downright invasive things that this app can do and will do concerning your phone or device. Many people have uninstalled it since then. I thought that I was safe using Whatsapp, but then I found out that Facebook actually purchased Whatsapp for 16 million dollars. So I am very careful with the way that I navigate my use of Whatsapp so as to maintain my privacy to the best of my ability.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I guess I've never understood the need to have a more feature heavy messaging app, but perhaps, I don't send "sensitive" texts that I would want to believe have been deleted. By the way, there are other apps that will save all of those messages that are supposed to delete after a period of time, so you may want to strongly consider what it is you are texting because there is always a way to keep what you don't want kept.

4. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    My best messaging application is WhatsApp because most of my friends use this. It would be difficult for me without using this application.

I have Facebook account but I do not like using it for communication. I use it to browse private Facebook sites because I cannot get access to them without one.

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    The Facebook app can do all sorts of things to your phone, from making phone calls on your behalf and using your credit, to collecting your data - such as pictures, texts...

That is a blatant invasion of privacy, but many don't care. As long as they can post the selfies that were taken the night before lol. I use whatsapp. I only speak to a handful of people on there. Three or four at the very most, and out of those people there are only two people that I speak to regularly. I feel like we have no way to communicate completely privately. If I phone people are most likely listening. Texting may be the best bet, to be honest.

6. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    To me, it all boils down to what your friends and family use most. The little differences in features don't bother me a lot. What I use most often is Viber. Also Skype if that counts.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    You are right. I hadn't even thought to mention that, which is strange considering that that is one of the main things that helps one to decide whether or not to go with one messaging application over the other. My sister and mother have Whatsapp. Those are the only two people I care about enough to talk to so intimately. My sister uses BBM for everyone else that she talks to on her phone. But she got whatsapp just for me. Makes me feel special lol.

8. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Well oddly enough the one I use the most is Kakaotalk, because I have a lot of Korean friends and since they use it a lot, you'll see me doing it too. A few others I use are Skype, QQ (A Chinese messaging software) and sometimes Facebook but not really, I've been kind of fed up with it to be completely honest. Once I get a mobile device I'll probably be more into the other software.

9. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Hm. I guess my first thought was that Google Voice wasn't listed and it is by far the best in my experience, but it is more of a text messaging app than an instant messenger type app. (Though, are they all that different nowadays?)

As far as the need goes, I like having a messaging app installed on my old smartphones and my iPod touch just in case (for some reason) my phone isn't working, or gets lost or stolen or something. Also, there will come a time when I might want to leave my kids at home alone, but I'm not ready to take the plunge and get them their own cell phones. In that case, it would be just as easy to have them reach me by text through a disabled older phone.

10. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be a big fan of Facebook up until Whatsapp arrived o the scene. I have completely abandoned Facebook ow and use Whatsapp for all the chatting. The best thing about it is you don't need to login to your account. Just boot the app an you are good to go.

11. Skydanzer

SkydanzerNew Member

Threads:
    My Indian friends I have on FaceBook we have tried many different chat apps and Viber is the one I prefer. Whatsapp the voice quality and ability to connect with a good signal was a reason to move on.

I agree with you on the privacy issue. Texting is also able to be retrieved from the servers and if needed can be obtained in print form for criminal/personal/cases by authorities. Privacy settings help with some media. but you are correct I think randomly conversations are listened on but not every detail of each one. Enjoy your friends.

12. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I would prefer WHATSAPP, good voice quality and you have may have the option to send online/offline text and voice messages.. and you can even share photos. The only issue for me is the privacy as the messages are accumulated overtime.

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    WhatsApp and SnapChat are both great options, although the latter isn't nearly as safe as people assume. It's easy enough to save messages, so you're not as anonymous as you'd think. Kik is another great messaging app, which is quite similar to WhatsApp. I'd recommend these three options, although many people can get along with Facebook and Facebook Messenger, which offers voice calls over Wi-Fi or mobile data, too.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Also, I forgot to mention that the Facebook application also had/has the ability to record you at any given time. Many of my family members uninstalled the application from their phones when they discovered this in favor of other free messaging applications. Some didn't like Whatsapp or its interface, or whatever, so they went with different ones.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty comfortable with Google Hangout, Skype and Viber. I use Google Hangout when chatting with friends who are navigating their GMail accounts at the same time. I use Skype mainly for business, often to send messages and files to my clients or talk to them through the app's built-in VOIP. My Viber's limited to really close friends who often use their smartphones for interacting with me online, so it's more laid back. I like the emojis at Viber and the fact that I can doodle over pictures. I can't really say I prefer one app over the other because they're all important to me.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I use viber but I've never used a anything else so I don't have any other messaging services to compare it to, but I do find it very comfortable to use. It's very easy to share pictures and links and I have only very minor complaints about it if any. I even like their stickers which I now use more often than emoticons. I've switched back to skype for a few times and now I discovered I've already grown very used to Viber.

17. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    For me it's fairly simple - WhatsApp, Viber and Skype. I'm not a fan of Facebook's privacy settings issue so I tend to avoid using it, even though I know there are ways of getting round it. But ultimately, I live in another country to where I was brought up so I need to be able to have connectivity that also allows for visuals as well. At the moment I don't think I need any more than the above three really.

18. hanseung

hanseungNew Member

Threads:
    Facebook tends to be known for their privacy issues, so I really only use their messaging app to get in touch with old friends and have the occasional conversation. WhatsApp and Viber are good - however, I personally lean towards the messaging apps Line and KakaoTalk. They are based in Korea and are extremely reliable, easy to navigate, and easy to understand. They also have adorable emoticons that can be used in chat. So, for me, I'd have to go with those.

19. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Facebook messenger is obviously the best messenging app since there are a lot more people that use it. Other than that, I enjoy the KIK app. A decent number of people use it, and it's pretty easy to use. You can send picture and video messages as well. So, I have no real complaints in regards to this app.

20. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whatsapp is without a doubt the best messaging app! It's the only one me and my friends use. I have several groups in there, and keep contact with several people. I also use the Facebook messaging app sometimes, but it's not as easy to use as Whatsapp. I never tried Line or any of the different ones you mentioned.