What age do you plan to stop driving?

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by MrsJones • Oct 30, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I often think about older people when I see them driving and I wonder just how old are they are. Sometimes you can hardly see their heads in the driver's seat when you're behind them and when you go around them they give you this mean scowl. Then I think I don't want to drive when I'm old. What age would you stop driving? I just thought of something - maybe this thread should be in another forum. Darn it..

#1Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    This is an great question, I think I will stop driving when it is not safe for me. Hopefully I will be wise enough to make that decision. Hopefully I will have enough in retirement to be able to pay someone to drive me around then :)

3. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not going to specify an age because at any given time, the opportunity of driving can be swept right under our feet for a variety of reasons. Older drivers are frowned upon quite a bit by the younger generation because of the age but if we really look at the statistics, its the younger generation that's been called out more. I can only hope that I'll be able to drive as long as I am independent. I also hope that when my health outdoes my ability to function independently that I'll be financially independent so that I can afford the care needed later in life.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a month away from being 70, and I still drive. However, I do not drive as far as I did when I was younger, or go in traffic when I can avoid it. I only drive in places that I feel safe.
    When I was younger, I drove all the time. I sold insurance, and averaged about 1,000 miles , week in and week out. I drove across the state, and several times, most of the way across the country.
    I suppose that if it were necessary, I can still do that; but I prefer just making the short trips to the grocery store or Walmart.
    I think your health has a lot to do with how long you should drive. As long as you can hear, see, and are mobile enough to drive the vehicle, then I think it is okay to drive.

5. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    @joyful728@joyful728 couldn't have said it any better! I would have responded in the same manner like you have. @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady, congratulations on reaching that milestone, lol, I wish you 70 year more. You still sound sharp and you are very humorous! I agree with you that once you are healthy and able to drive, it's okay to do so, driving keeps you active.

6. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I think that is something that can be predetermined. There are some younger people who are told to stop driving due to a health issue such as losing their eye sight or refliex troubles. However, some old people are still able to see well and have good reflexes. What I am trying to say is I don't think age should factor into whether someone is a capable driver it should come down to their limitiations and whether they can still control a car. At any age that ability can be taken away from a person, not just older people.

7. Parth

ParthNew Member

Threads:
    As long as I physically can, age I'm not really sure but hopefully I can continue to be independent for a very long time. I have glasses so I think my eye sight would be the first reason at an older age to stop driving. It's gotta be after I'm retired so we're talking in the 60-70s age range. I don't want to be stubborn and keep driving when it's a hazard for me to be on the roads haha

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too often see very old looking people driving, and wonder what age they are! I think it depends on the individual. I'd want to stop around 70, but then you see some sprightly 70 year olds who still have all their faculties. My dad is 65, but his sight is failing; so I think he needs to slow it down. He's stopped driving after dark, thank God.

9. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    As long as my health is good as well as my eyes and reflexes, I plan to keep driving. Here in Canada, the Ministry of Transportation makes us retake our driving test at the age of 80 and then every two years after that before renewing our licenses. So, I suppose there are many drivers in Ontario stopping at 80.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to drive at all so it won't be an epic turn of events for me when I find I shouldn't drive at all because I can't see & I'm going 10 mph on the expressway. So, I'm going to go with 64. The Beatles were right all along.

11. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I'll probably be dead long before I need to stop driving so I don't even think about it. If I'm still alive, I'm probably one where the family would have to forcefully take the keys out of my hands! I am super independent.

My step-dad (who is 92) decided not to renew his car insurance last summer as he knew that driving was over for him. It's frustrating for him because calling for a ride is not nearly convenient as driving oneself and he doesn't have really anybody nearby to help drive him around. He did the right thing though and I'm glad he is still able to get around safely in his own home, at least for now.

12. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I would stop driving when I am not able to see clearly anymore and my motor skills are beginning to decline, maybe around the old age of sixty years old and above. I have watched the gradual process of my grandfather not being able to drive anymore because of these reasons, even though he still wants to take us to school or drive us around town. No matter how much he wanted to spend time with us in his old beetle when we were still children, he could not anymore because of his old age. Eventually he accepted this because it was for his safety and the people he will drive for. I might follow the steps of my grandpa in what age and phase in life he has stopped driving.

13. BethD

BethDNew Member

Threads:
    I will stop driving when I don't think I can safely handle a car anymore. My parents are elderly and they are both healthy, alert and drive very well. If I take after them, which I hope I will, then I will keep driving. I think as long as you can see well, are alert and can react to things that can happen on the road, it is safe to keep driving. I think the key is to admit to yourself when you feel you can't drive anymore without putting yourself or others at risk. There are some teenagers who are so distracted on the road that they are worse drivers than the elderly. I wouldn't say an age when I would stop driving because I could be perfectly fine to drive.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It all depends where you live. If for example you live in a remote place in Australia, and you depend on your car, you will have to keep on driving until you can't do it anymore. Not everyone wants, or can afford, to go and live in a retirement home. Also, the way things are these days on an economical level, it's not always possible to sell your house or farm and move closer to town.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Driving gives a person freedom and a lot of older people resist having that freedom taken from them. A person's health is the real reason to stop driving, not just their eye sight but their heart and their ability to act quickly in cerain situations. As long as I am not a threat to myself or anyone else I will continue to drive, when I feel that my eye sight or my health is a threat I will give up my license.

16. RaineyDay477

RaineyDay477New Member

Threads:
    My grandmother turned 91 this year and she still drives. She is very active at her church and still very sharp. I do worry about her driving sometimes, but she lives alone and at this time is still able to take care of herself. I hope that I will have enough common sense to know when it is time to stop driving. I don't think you can really pick a predetermined date.

17. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I can't help but to love whenever I read senior stories of lucidity, enthusiasm, and positivism at an advanced age. God bless your grand mother to keep doing it for years to come :)

As for me, I planned to stop driving when I turned 27, stage of my life that happened long, long years ago.

Seriously, I'm not driving anymore because I found that having a car make you dependable on it, preventing you to enjoy life because you have to live slavered to a vehicle that cannot walk through a nature trail, nor climb mountains, or go with you into places where cars have no place.

Add to this my natural liking for walking and the fact of living in a very populated capital city where traffic is worst than spending a life in hell, and you will find that stop driving was a good decision, particularly because we have tons of public transport alternatives, some of which are faster than driving a car, such as the subway just to name the most important.

18. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you can still drive well until your 70s as long as your body is still in good condition. With the help of glasses, special contacts or LASIK surgery, your eye problems can be corrected too. My father is nearing his 60s but he still drives well. Personally, I'd stop driving depending on my body's condition. If you invest a lot in your health while you're still young, it will save you a lot of trouble later in life.

19. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes this is the sole impediment for elderly people; driving eyesight requirements.

In some estates, and some countries, driving license is not permanent but renewable every given number of years, what makes necessary the license holder to have eyesight examination at every renewal and while wearing glasses is okay, there are times when not even these contribute to get a new license if the person has severe vision problems.

20. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I haven’t really thought about it, to be honest, despite knowing it’ll be a factor later in life. And I must admit, I kind of wish I didn’t need to do it now. It’s not exactly my favorite thing for a few reasons. But if the majority of my life involves driving, then I’ll stop if/when I feel like my faculties have degraded to the point where it’s no longer an option.