Missing teachers

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Peninha • Oct 31, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Today the teacher of my older kid is not at school and she told us that they could stay at home or, in the case they go to school (mine did) they would be redistributed for the other classes. How does it work when the teachers of your kids don't go to school?

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Weird. What country do you live in?

I'm in America. We have substitute teachers. Typically a class isn't warned in advance if a teacher is going to be gone (for something like sickness) and a sub is called first thing in the morning.

On the not-so-rare occasions when a teacher cannot or does not secure a sub, the class is not dispersed to other classes - other teachers just take over for portions of the day. At least in high school. When I was a teacher and a class was without a teacher or a sub, we had to give up a third of our planning period to go cover that class. I'm not sure what elementary schools do, honestly, if a teacher has no sub. I actually wouldn't be surprised if a principal or other office worker sat in until someone could come.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never heard of this method before, and I'm assuming they only have one teacher for all subjects then? Here each teacher specializes in one or two subjects and if he or she is sick then a substitute will be brought in and the class would go on as scheduled. If one or two of them got sick the class would still go on because the rest of the subjects would still have teachers assigned to them.

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's really strange to me. I don't really get how a system like that would work overall :/. We just do substitute teachers if a teacher can't make it, and unless it's something planned or prolonged like a maternity leave or for a trip or surgery or something of that nature, we aren't likely to get advanced notice about the teacher being absent. That's interesting to me, though, that you have such a different experience.

5. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    This is unheard of where I live which is NYC, usually when your child's teacher is not at school, they have a substitute teacher. Schools are always suppose to have back up teachers just in case a teacher is out sick or needs to take an maternity leave. I'm not sure why the teacher suggest the children stay home from school, everyday that children miss out on school is another day that the child could have learned something. Attendance is suppose to be very important in schools, so my child staying home cause their teacher is not in is out of the question.

6. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    We usually have substitute teachers. Do you not have substitute teachers where you live? That's a pretty interesting protocol and a little unfair for the kids to miss out on learning if the teacher is absent. What happens if the teacher is absent for a whole week? What do the students do then? Very interesting.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am in Portugal, so that concept of substitute teachers seem pretty good. How does that work, when a teacher is sick you have a substitute one that replaces it? That makes more sense, because I ended up with my kid 3 days because she missed 3 days...

8. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah. Basically a sub comes in and using the teachers notes will take over the class. It's a stressful job because a lot of kids take advantage of someone who isn't fully aware of the rules and regulations, but it helps keep students caught up.

9. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I would imagine that this would be a one-off event, where the school was short-handed, absolutely unable to find a substitute teacher and the teacher had to leave for something urgent on very short notice. Usually schools should be prepared for this kind of thing.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope, I mean, yes, it was a one-off event as you say in the sense that the teacher usually is there every day, but the concept of substitute teacher doesn't exist in my country, so when the teacher misses the kids have no classes.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I concur with some of the comments here. I likewise have not heard of students being redistributed to other classes just because the teacher isn't present. There's always a substitute teacher who will handle the lesson or guide students through an activity on behalf of the absent teacher. I'm not sure how it's done in other countries, but that's the protocol followed in most private schools in my country.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I've realized that it's the common practice in the US and I wish we had a similar practice. I don't agree that the kids are always changing teacher, but when their teacher was absent he did not go to school because the first day of redistribution didn't go well, it was a chaos to be honest.

13. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Currently, I am a substitute teacher for a local public school. students are distributed among other teacher's classroom because there are not enough substitute teachers who wish to work. If a district wants to only hire state certified teachers, then their source of employees are generally retired teachers. However, those of us who retire become too tired to work during these winter months. Not many of us want to drive around in the snow or slush.
    Districts should attract better qualified workers by paying more than $160.00 each day. That way, certified teachers would willingly work in all kinds of weather for that amount of pay.

14. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    How ironic that you should mentioned this. Just a month ago my grandson class was dispersed to other classes. He is only in the second grade and he was put in a third grade classroom and didn't do anything but read. He was totally an unhappy camper.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, exactly what's happens to me Jones, the exact same thing, not only he was an unhappy camper as in the next days I brought him to work with me, what is not convenient of course. I do love his teacher, but other alternatives have to exist.