C-sections: a good or a bad choice?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Oct 31, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    C-sections are more and more common these days. I know that some of them are really necessary to save the mothers and babies life, but other programmed C-sections due to schedule convenience don't make sense to me at all. Where to you stand here?

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I think it should be an emergency only thing, scheduled only if a condition is discovered ahead of time that show a vaginal delivery will not be possible. I think doctors have become so afraid of lawsuits they are doing unnecessary c-sections, unfortunately leading to harm to mothers and babies when It wasn't needed. I think well trained midwives make better judgement calls because they understand the female body better than a male doctor ever can. Many hospital birth centers allow midwife deliveries now, so you can have the benefit of midwife care but are near an OR in case an emergency does happen.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am with you on this, I agree that C-sections are a great advance in medicine that can help to save the life of mothers and children, but they should not be used as a routine procedure simply because it's not. Giving birth is a unique moment and life and should not be scheduled according to the convenience of doctor or mother IMO.

4. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I think that they should only be for emergency situations and not scheduled for someone's convenience. It really bothers me that people would do this for convenience. Natural birth should always be the first option. I have even heard of doctors suggesting C-sections to pregnant women when they are not in need of them. I can only assume this is because the doctor and hospital gets more money for a surgical procedure than for natural birth.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless health is a prime consideration, better give birth naturally and scream for it if you can. Going through the pain makes being a mother even more worth it. Personally, however, as much as I'd like to give birth the usual way, I'm afraid my congenital ailment renders me compatible with only one birthing process: the C-section. Women who choose this method even if they have no illness to speak of just want to get away from the pain.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They call it 'Too posh to push' as women choose a c-section so they don't lose their tightness in the pelvis. My friend is overdue and has the choice of a c-section and that's fine, because it's a choice as last time she was so overdue it was stressful for everyone. C-sections should only be used in emergencies and I have some friends who have had them as they are so small, the doctors say giving birth would crack their pelvis.

7. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a small pelvic bone (according to my OB) so all my 3 children were delivered via C-section. But if I had the choice, I would have opted for a normal delivery since Caesarian operations where I'm from are very expensive. :(

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a case where the C-section is necessary eppie, but at the same time I am surprised that it is expensive, isn't that a public service? Where I live it's all free, we don't pay when a child is born unless we chose a private hospital.