Using a microphone

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Peninha • Oct 31, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anyone uses the microphone in the computer or do you use a headset? I never had the need to use a microphone until recently and I just use the mic, meaning, the audio comes out directly from the laptop. Do you use a microphone at all?

2. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I never use a microphone as I have always been addicted to headphones. I never thought about microphone until I saw this post. For some reason or another I always felt nothing could be better than using headphones. I keep changing my headphones on a regular basis.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I know why you're using a microphone, Peninha. :p. As for me, I also have never considered using a microphone until I stumbled upon a site where you have to have a mic to be able to join. I haven't joined the site yet though because I don't have one.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's difficult to use a microphone in the computer because it captures all the background noises and makes it difficult for you to hear or carry a normal conversation with the person on the other end of the line. Also, I find the audio isn't as good as when you're using a headset with a noise cancellation option and surround sound capabilities. Microphone audio sounds muffled too so for online voice communications, it's better to use a headset like Plantronics, Sony or Beats.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do sometimes. When I'm recording important stuff, for example dialogues for animated shorts or voice acting demo's I plug in a specialized microphone just to record high quality sounds. You can't really record anything that sounds good using a regular microphone built into the laptop or even those that came along with head sets.

6. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I use a microphone from time to time but I love typing so I like to practice my typing skills. If you work on your computer a lot and need to write lots of papers for school, the best microphone to use is the dragon dictation microphone. I use that one when I'm writing a paper or writing in my blog, it has the best voice detection and it doesn't really pick up on background noise because you train it to listen to your voice. The dragon dictation system is a microphone and headset combo and every time I use it I feel like I work for a phone service company.

7. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    I use a headset. Headsets are a lot better in my opinion because they have both of what you need packed into one. Higher-end headsets can be incredibly comfortable, provide great mic sound with little to no feedback, and have decent sound quality when music or other mp3s are played. However, if you need a really, really good microphone for whatever reason, a high quality microphone such as a Blue Yeti Snowball is better. However, most people do not need a microphone of that caliber if you're just doing something like Skype.

8. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I use a microphone. I use a text to speech software so a quality usb microphone is a must for me. My headset just doesn't cut it. The built-in mic in my laptop isn't good either. I've been considering buying a headset with a good mic but I always decide against it because it's just impractical for me to buy when I already have a perfectly functioning usb mic.

9. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually use mics on my computer not unless I'm recording some sounds effects or calling which I don't do most of the time. I don't really have a whole lot of great microphones and often times I only use the ones that are built in within the machine which is kind of crappy all on itself.

10. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I use headsets for the most part but I find it annoying having to wear them because it gets my ears all worked up really. I tend to just buy one of those microphones that are just that, microphones and they have this stand and you can tilt the mic and it sounds really good for recording audio and calls.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to use one when I had much older laptops but newer ones always have microphones and cameras installed on them so I never have to connect any external devices anymore. I've used mine for online voice chat and was surprised at how easy it was to just talk near my laptop without any problems. The friend I was talking to even thought I was on a phone so I guess it says a lot about the clarity.

12. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I usually used the microphone that was built-in on the device. It feels rather funny to use an additional microphone with any gadget. But the result of the recording is often less clear if I just use the built-in mic, so then used the headset that contains additional mic. I think the result of the recording is a lot better with a separate mic, but when I am not using my headset, I can still make adequate recording for translation or transcription works.

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a colleague who tried to do that Designer, but apparently the build in microphone was not good enough and the audio was not understandable. I think it's something really cheap though, 10-15$ and we get a decent microphone for the daily usage.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I use a headset all the time as I work online where I need to give instructions on Skype. Even though my computer has an inbuilt microphone and works very well, the company I work for specifically asked me to incorporate a headset for my work. But when I meet with friends online, I find the headset superfluous, as the sound quality of my laptop is excellent as it is.

15. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I have taken tests for online jobs that required a microphone test. Also, I completed mystery shops that required I use my computer's microphone.
    Once I received one of those jobs, I began using the Logitech USB headset.

16. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of using headphones when I'm on the PC. My music sounds clearer and everything I watch on youtube also sounds better than they would using my laptop speakers. I do have a headset to use whenever I feel like having a chat with someone though. Having the microphone and headphone apart just seems like too much trouble to me.

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say that I love technology more and more, the simple fact that we can be sitting in front of the computer and be talking to people anywhere in the world is simply amazing. Sure, it's no big deal, but if we think of it it's something that make our lives way easier.

18. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd much rather use a headset if I'm talking via Skype or playing games. I have personally not touched the microphone on my laptop for a very long time, I think it might not be working properly anymore...

19. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    No, I don't like using microphones on my laptop. I would rather use a headset with a built-in mic to talk to someone over Skype if I really need to. I just think that they are more convenient to use. Also, you would not need to worry about the microphone catching all the unnecessary noises in the background. Well, there isn't much noise to be heard in my house, anyway. But still, I prefer a headset.

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You do have a point here, a headset is more convenient especially if we have to type at the same time that we are talking because for some reason I tend to hold the microphone with the hand, so that leaves me with one hand only to type.