What Chinese food you like?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Aurora • Oct 31, 2014.

1. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    There is diverse opinion as to the healthiness of Chinese food. Most believe that Japanese food is much healthier. I do love Chinese food because of their specialty and uniqueness. I like Aconitum steamed with soy beans sauce, the roast pork, the steamed chicken in diced ginger and shallot sauce, the mushrooms corn soup, the snake soup, xiao lung pao, dumplings in soup, fried pork with lily bulbs, the steamed pork with diced oil squid. Oh, they are so delicious. I like to have them when I go dining Chinese food.

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I like orange chicken, chow mein and beef and broccoli best. Those are all Panda Express items, so I don't know that they are real Chinese foods at all, but they taste good.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately I have more experience with the "Panda Express" Americanized takeout style of Chinese food than with what would actually, fairly constitute Chinese food as well, but I've been getting more inspired lately with Japanese and Chinese recipes I've seen and with the idea of fusion cooking including the two. I really love the flavor profiles & spicing in a lot of Japanese dishes, though I agree some of the Chinese dishes are way too heavy on salt for my taste. Still, a lot of good food to be explored :).

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite dish is a thick white noodle dish called 'cheung fun' that can have vegetables or meat in it and is served with soy sauce. I also like steamed buns which are healthy, again they are usually with pork inside, but not they do mushrooms and tofu ones with chives. They are the white buns you see in bamboo racks.

5. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    When it comes to Chines food, I mostly eat fried noodles or fried rice. They are just great with veggies and chicken or meat. I also have a thing for Chinese soups. I make my own once in a while, with shrimps, mushrooms, etc.
    My all-time favorite would however be Chop Suey. I only have it now and then so that I don't get tired of it however :p

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would have to pass on the snake soup and say that I am perfectly happy with "americanized" chinese food, lol.

No matter what I order, I always upgrade and pay a little extra to get the fried rice with my meal instead of the plain old steamed rice. The only exception would be if I order one of their low fat, low sodium meals, which some offer. Those are typically steamed meats and veggies in a fat free garlic sauce. One of my favorite styles of fried rice I believe is considered cantonese, but don't quote me on that. It's a bright yellow rice with bean sprouts, yellow onion, maybe green onion too, and this bright red BBQ pork cut into small chunks or slices.

If I am trying to not spend too much, I will simply get a container of some fried rice, such as house fried rice or shrimp fried rice. I will also order an appetizer of BBQ pork strips, which is basically more of that bright red glazed pork, only it's cut into larger strips. It looks like a small container, but there is easily three meals worth of that stuff packed in there once you pour it out, same goes for the fried rice.

If I am ordering full size meals, I typically get either the Kung Pao Shrimp or Rice. I used to be a die hard fan of the common "General Tso's Chicken" or "Bourbon Chicken" but I've noticed many of the local chinese joints don't all make them the same way, some are great while others taste like they just came up with a weird concoction that only sort of tastes like them - especially with the bourbon chicken.

I've dabbled into some of the other dishes with mixed results. One of the worst I had was Shrimp in Lobster sauce. The "sauce" literally just tasted like uncooked egg whites and the dish as a whole had no flavor at all. Others like Beef & Broccoli felt too safe and not spicy enough, plus I can make it practically the exact same at home, so why bother?

7. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of overly greasy food, so I found the wanton noodles of Hong Kong to be a very pleasant change. The wanton has fresh prawns and pork, and is steamed in a clear soup broth with light, stringy yellow noodles, served with spring onions and coriander. It tastes amazing, especially on a cool winter day.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like most Chinese food. I usually have a hard time choosing when I look at a Chinese menu because I want everything. One of my all time favorites is the red roast pork.
    I've made it at home before but it still falls short of the restaurant version.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Sweet and sour pork has always been my favorite and it remains so until now. I first got to taste it when I was very young and I went to the US on vacation with my family. I don't know if my own country had many Chinese restaurants back then but now it surely does have a lot and I can get my fix of this dish wherever since there's even a fast food chain that serves it.

10. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I like 'cheung fun’ too. They are smooth and tasty. There are mainly shrimp 'cheung fun’, pork 'cheung fun' and beef 'cheung fun’ at my place. However, I like the outer rice skin much more than the ingredients inside. So I prefer the fried ‘cheung fun'. These are the elegant version of ‘cheung fun' served in restaurants. My best is the civilian version of plain 'cheung fun' without any ingredients inside it served with sesame (peanut) sauce, sweat sauce, chili sauce and soy juice mixed together with lots of sesame seed on it. They are so yummy. This is not a healthy food but I cannot resist its charm.

11. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I love the lo mein, general tso's chicken, and crab Rangoon but I also enjoy other Chinese food. I used to order take out from a nice Chinese restaurant a long time ago and I do miss that place. Where I am now there is a Chinese buffet and the food there is really delicious so I have a new favorite. I like mostly any Chinese food and will also try a new dish that looks tasty.

12. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love Chinese food. My favorites are dumplings and spring rolls. Chinese food has a huge part in my life because my grandparents had Chinese blood. I can eat them all day every day!

13. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a heavy veggie eater and my most favorite of all Chinese food is "Chopsuey". It's a mixture of different veggies sauteed with thick sauce. There's actually a lot of "Chopsuey" versions and I particularly like the one with shrimps and hard-boiled quail eggs. :) I also like dumplings and spring rolls like Calebmelvern here. ^_^