Is it worth going out to a restaurant anymore?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by andrew320 • Jun 3, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I must admit, I don't like heading out to restaurants much anymore. The only place I ever enjoy going, where I feel like I've gotten my money's worth and the atmosphere is all right, is the Tim Hortons in midtown Toronto.

Anyway, my fiancee had a terrible day at work today so I made the decision to take her out to Bloor Street Diner, which is actually across the street from Tim Hortons. I knew in advance it was expensive, but I didn't realize the prices went up and not for amazing food either.

We both ordered a chipotle chicken wrap with caesar salad. I was surprised by the portion size because it was decent, but the wrap itself didn't taste unique and was something I could have done at home. In total, I paid $35, including tip, and no beverages other than water.

Last weekend, I made a superb buffalo chicken sandwich at home and the portion size was bigger and the food was tastier. After grocery shopping, I must've spent $7 at most to make two big sandwiches.

My question is: judging by the cost of everything, the cuts in plate sizes and the paucity of a good atmosphere (I like the restaurant we went to, but instead of playing the usual jazz they had techno blaring in the background), is it worth going out to a restaurant anymore? Should we just stay in all the time instead of heading out to a restaurant once a month?

2. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I must admit I love eating out, but it is very expensive. The average meal at a restaurant is like $6 to $8. I personally found it best to simply cook my own food. I only eat out on special occasions.

3. Ziggybrah

ZiggybrahNew Member

Threads:
    I don't know what's about it, but the food always tastes nicer when you eat out. Maybe because you didn't make it yourself? Anyhow, I love eating out especially with the guys we can couple of beers in it's all good. Plus it's a bit of a luxury comparing to what people had go through thousands of years ago to get a meal. Make the most of it while we can.

4. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Eating out has always been expensive. Restaurants charge a LOT for beverages. This is why I prefer takeout. It's the same food, but much cheaper.

5. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Well if money isn't an issue, then it will always be worth it. If anything, just for the sake of getting out and a change of scenery once in awhile.

6. Gamrpro

GamrproMember

Threads:
    I still enjoy it. I think if you go too often you'll get bored. But if you go at least twice a month you'll enjoy it every time. I still enjoy it just a little but I prefer to eat home. :)

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    It's worth it for a special occasion, but all the time it would be wasting money. If you have the extra money to spend then I would say it okay. Eating a restaurant can cost more than you making a meal at home. I like to go to restaurants, but I also enjoy a home cooked meal. It really depends on the person, but I have to say it's getting more costly to dine out anymore.

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Of course, it's still worth it just depends on where you go and how you feel. From how you describe yourself it seems like you don't like going out enough for most situations to be worth it for you. Add on the fact you got a fairly common meal versus something like steak or tilapa or some great pasta dish or really just something special and I can see why you would be disappointed. That said I love eating out because it isn't something that happens often and most of the time we go to places we like and it's a great time for all to be had.

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I have come to the conclusion that eating out is often more about the great company, the different environment, the atmosphere etc...all those elements and also the food. But it is nice to get out and experience different places. However, one should only go when you can afford it, otherwise, the headaches you are left with paying credit cards....just do not help.

I used to eat out often but now: less so. I still enjoy it when I go to the right place though....it is like 80% experience and 20% about the food for me. (-:

10. Shaggz235

Shaggz235Member

Threads:
    Depends where you are going. If it is for a particular experience it might be worth it. However, these days it isn't worth the price. You can save so much money cooking stuff at home and even make the meals you create healthier than the crap you could get elsewhere.

11. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    That's why it's always ideal to first check out any reviews for restaurants - either through online reviews or by word of mouth from peers. When my boyfriend and I go out, we never go to restaurants we just happen to stumble upon. We always check their reviews. I mean, it's OK for us if they're somewhat expensive, as long as we're getting what we paid for.

12. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer to eat at home and I like to cook my own food. Besides the obvious savings, there is also the question of selecting the type of food that I cook. Most of the time, the food that I eat is not readily available in restaurants. Things like unpolished rice and brown sugar. For those who like to eat outside once in a while for a change, you can try taking a picnic basket to the park. The change in surroundings can make the food taste better.

13. Cheseloo

CheselooMember

Threads:
    I'm so with you on that the food always taste better. I love restaurant food! I even bought one of those cookbooks on secret restaurant recipes and it's not the same. It must be because you didn't make it yourself.

14. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    We've tried cutting down on going out to eat. We've realized what we pay in one meal could buy us several meals at the grocery store. We try to save it now for birthdays and holidays such as mothers day and fathers day. Even then we try to occassionally BBQ instead of always eating out.

15. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good idea. A BBQ is a change from the daily routine. Certainly it's a lot cheaper than going to a restaurant. Plus you get a better quality of food.

16. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I don't really care for the food in many restaurants . Probably because I am an amatuer gourmet cook. I love creating tasty dishes at home. However I do still get excited about going out with my man and spending time over a dining table out with him at our favorite place. I think its just fun to do occasionaly.

17. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. I like to eat out at a restaurant occasionally just for the experience of the ambiance, the company (because I rarely eat out alone), and the experience of not having to cook for a change. If this is what you have in mind, then it's totally worth it on occasion. If it's just about the food, though, my cooking is usually better and cheaper.

18. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I like to eat out, but we're in Spain, and the food is very good, and also good value. We eat out around twice a month, and we always go for small family restaurants, rather than those belonging to chains. We have three favourites, and we know the people who run them, so it's a real social night, as well as a night for good food.

19. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    Well it really depends who you have to cook at home !
    But here are some of the "eating out vs in" home tips:
    * I love cooking and there is nothing better than a home prepared dinner for my wife when I want to pamper her
    * But there are exception, something really special (high end, experimental) or gluten free (PC Chang) as she has an allergy to gluten
    * Our kids know that the fast food world is not very good for their health but they do enjoy the "easy family time" when we can afford
    So once in a while, as a reward, we surprise them with a visit to their preferred "unhealthy" place ... :)
    So for a special occasion, a special way of cooking, a special reward ... out ... But most of time .. at home

20. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I only eat at one restaurant anymore. The reason for this is the foods have gotten so bad and the quality is poor with the high prices. To get the true prices, you should look at the cost and divide it by three. The reason for this is most places mark up their food by three times to four times to make a profit. You can find the quality you get from home is better and the prices are ten times cheaper!