Wired laptop

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Peninha • Nov 3, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yesterday I was working on my laptop and it looked like Frankenstein because it had so many stuff connected to it. I had a microphone, a webcam, the external drive, the headphones, but the poor old laptop did his job well lol. What do you usually connect to your laptop?

2. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I have a built in webcam so that is one less thing that I have to connect to my laptop. The only thing that I connect is my headphone w/mic and my external drive. I also have my internet cable connected but it stays out my way. I would on my laptop a lot so I cannot deal with so many wires connected. It makes it look cluttered.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like connecting a bunch of stuff on my laptop really although I have 2 devices always connected to it. One is a cooling fan, or should I say "cooling fan" since the damned thing doesn't really do that much in terms of cooling and the other one is a multimedia speakers. I also got a mouse hooked up but it's not that much of an issue and when I'm working I hook up my pen tablet and a bunch of USB cable wires.

4. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    My laptop only has 3 USB ports, so I do not have much space or options on what I can connect with it. That said, I usually connect a mouse and a cooling fan on it. That is it. Outside of the USB ports, I have the LAN cable attached. In the future, a microphone might be attached to it. This is for my voice acting projects.

5. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I always try to keep everything wireless when using my Laptop. There is no reason for me to have everything wired in that type of situation. I mean laptops were made for ease of use and without all the wires besides the charge cable. If I wanted to have a bunch of wires hanging everywhere then I would go onto my desktop pc.

6. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's worse in my case. I have a 7-year old laptop and just the other day it's battery died. I have to plug it in to be able to use it. So basically, it's a laptop-turned-desktop. Lol. Good thing I just use it mostly to store some files. I have a desktop to handle my workload.

I also don't like a lot of stuff connected to my laptop. Usually, I only have my mouse and earphones.

7. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing plugged in my laptop whenever I work is the AC adapter (I hate having to plug it in and out every time it ran out of battery) and my mouse. I don't like having wires run around my laptop all the time because I hate clutter. Occasionally I would plug in some extra wires for the speakers and cooling devices and webcam but for the most part it's pretty much clean.

8. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes attach a tablet or camera to my laptop to import pictures or videos, but for the most part, I don't wire many things to my laptop. Other than that, I sometimes charge my phone by way of laptop if we are in a blackout and my phone needs charging.

9. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    No not at all, I never actually have anything attached to it except for a mouse and a controller. When I play games on my laptop, I tend to plug in a controller just to play because I hated the keyboard and mouse on a laptop, specially the keyboard because at some point, the heat sink on the left side of my laptop heats up and it feels ugly on my hands.

I also don't like the idea of having a lot of wires and stuff coming out of my laptop, it's supposed to be portable and having those contraptions attached might end up gluing you to a table and you have to take them all off once you're done.

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a laptop with 2 USB ports and one with 4 USB ports. The one with 4 ports has all four ports taken up plus the SD card reader. On the other hand, my other laptop has nothing attached to it unless I'm charging another device. I used to own a desktop that had tons and tons of USB ports for no particular reason, though.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    At certain times my laptops do seem like is especially when I have them connected to a TV when I use it for gaming. I usually plug in an external cable for connecting it to the TV and then I'll have one for an external hard drive and lastly one for my game controllers. As much as possible, however, I just try to keep it as is so that I don't feel too cramped.

12. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Not too much outside of headphones and the charger since the battery seems to be getting old. I get what you mean though, sometimes I've had the ethernet wire connected along with the HDMI cable and a USB stick and all of the sudden my computer seems to be growing tentacles ;)

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL exactly. I feel sorry for it and I am sometimes wondering when will it start to smoke, but so far so good, after all, that is what he was made for, it doesn't matter how many cables he has plugged to it as long as it still delivers. :)

14. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I almost connect the same things as you have said. Some times I also connect a wired woofer for extra sound effects. I think it is really sad that not all the accessories are wireless and quite cheap. Do you think there is a better alternative to it?

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eh, I only do that because I have an old laptop. If I buy a new one now it will have a microphone and a camera incorporated, so it will not look so crowded even if I connect all the other stuff I have too, it's just because mine it's a little too old.

16. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing I connect to my laptop is my external drive, which I switch around from my desktop to my laptop, other than that I have headphones with mic permanently connected to the laptop as well, since I have a built-in webcam it's one less thing I need to connect compared to you.
    I honestly don't know what else is there to connect though :)

17. zaskolu2014

zaskolu2014New Member

Threads:
    Currently, stuff that are connected to my laptop are wired pc mouse and headphones. I'm using my laptop as a main computer, and I'm considering to buy a cooling pad for it, and a keyboard. I really type a lot on i't and as you all know after some time the numbers and letters get worn out. And considering the price of laptop keyboard and external keyboard the external is cheaper, and easier to replace.

18. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, I haven't used my webcam that much, so lately I only have the mouse connected to it. Occasionally I am connecting some USB sticks, my external drive and the microphone, but the Frankenstein days are gone haha, at least for now. :)

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always felt the same way about desktop systems until I bought an All-in-One system with a wireless bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I was really shocked to be able to have a desktop system, with only one wire, the power cord, in the back. No more crazy tangled bundled mess of wires in the back for speakers, mouses, keyboards, scanners, extra USB hubs, etc... even my printer is wireless! lol.

The only time I will plug something other than the power cord into my laptop would be my mouse because I need it to do design work on there. But I seldom do design work on my laptop anyhow since the screen is too small and it doesn't have the same quality color display as my desktop system does. I'm even leery about leaving my power cord plugged into my laptop, in case there is a power surge. We had one a few months ago and it fried my USB TV tuner even though I had the cable wire running through a surge protector.

20. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I believe it is true that the laptop are these days are wired but they are also quite useful in every way possible. I believe that wired laptop can be messy but it also helps to make sure that all the parts are working. Wireless make it non durable.