Where do you do your computer orientated shopping?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by thepieeatingjay • Nov 4, 2014.

1. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    I'm always looking for the best deals when it comes to computer hardware and software alike. I've been shopping places like Tiger Direct and Newegg for the past few years now. I even hit Amazon from time to time. But I'm always looking for a place that might have the next deal that might be a little easier on my pockets. Anyone has suggestions?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    If you're a gamer at heart, I would recommend iBUYPOWER. It's offers pretty good value for money, and I feel that its gaming laptops and PCs are on par with the other big names out there, like Alienware, at a fraction of the price.

3. lucaspm98

lucaspm98New Member

Threads:
    Newegg and amazon are my go to places. Newegg has the biggest selection I've seen by far and runs some great specials occasionally. I get tons of Amazon giftcards that I store up in my account, so I use Amazon quite often as well for computer stuff because it's basically free for me.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't seen much that can beat Newegg. They have a lot to choose from and some good prices. They offer some good sales and rebates too. During the holidays is the best time to hit them up. I've always gotten good service too, including fast shipping, and no hassle returns. I haven't had to return much, but when I did, they were great. I use Amazon sometimes, but I can't complain about Newegg. In fact, one of their warehouses is only like one state over from me, so at times, I've gotten my stuff within 24 hours. I really can't beat that.

5. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    I highly recommend comparing prices between NCIX, NewEgg and any local retailers you might have. Abuse their price matching policies and you'll likely save some money, especially if you can end up making the final purchase at a local retailer as you can save on shipping for the order.

Aside from that, you can definitely catch some good deals on your local classifieds when a new generation of CPU/GPUs are released as enthusiasts begin to cycle their gear.

6. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    For computer related stuff I would probably go for Tiger Direct, eBay or Newegg first, as I know all three of them work well and serve Canada.
    When it comes to phone shopping though, since I don't come across a lot of money I would go for a Chinese phone. Lightinthebox is alright, but don't use anything else other than PayPal because there's a good chance they'll try ripping you off and PayPal gives you one of the best chances of getting your money back. Tinydeal is one I actually recommend. I bought a phone with them and it finally shipped yesterday afternoon (they were out of stock for a week since it's a new and popular one, but customer service was very helpful through email). It's only been a day but since I choose DHL it seems to be ripping its way through customs and I should have it by Tuesday at this rate. Maybe I'll update this once I get it.

7. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    If you're in Canada you should check out shopbot.ca; it aggregates a bunch of prices for different online retailers and allows you to compare them pretty easily. I use it pretty frequently to price match different stores for an additional discount on the lowest listed price. It's pretty convenient but is missing a few vendors like Newegg and Tiger Direct.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In general, I go wherever the best deal is. I'm constantly buying computer parts and peripherals, so I need to be able to save money where I can. Sometimes, that's Amazon, and other times it's Best Buy, TigerDirect, or even Newegg. I almost never return things, so I don't care much about return policies, as long as they cover defects out of the box. If I can save a few bucks from an obscure retailer, then I'll take my chances.

9. primaLucid

primaLucidNew Member

Threads:
    I love using Newegg and Amazon. I bought my Asus laptop from laptop about two years ago, and I was pleasantly surprised when I received my product in about two days when I was told it would take a week. The process was very smooth, and Amazon and Newegg both offer many choices. I also favor Newegg and Amazon because their prices are very reasonable, as opposed to other retailers like Best Buy or Alienware.

10. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    I generally make two comparisons: Remote (using websites) and another in the physical stores (local).

The first thing I do is go to general websites such as Amazon.com and use those prices as a base. Then if the product demands it, I'll visit niche sites and check their offering.

In the second comparison, I go to the shops near my house.

The benefits of buying in person are still good: supporting local economies, cutting shipping time, being assured of prompt service if you need to use the guarantee, and most importantly having someone nearby for addressing complaints if something goes wrong.

The downside of remote shopping is what happens when things deviate from their ideal. Eventually we all face shipment of a product for which you have to invoke the guarantee. If the product is shipped from distant lands, ofttimes it is the buyer who has to pay return shipping costs.

Depending on the product, avoiding this risk alone with a local purchase exceeds the benefit of immediate savings from websites.

11. maxim66

maxim66New Member

Threads:
    I always do my shopping for PC-related items on either Newegg or Amazon, Newegg being my first choice usually. I usually check around for the lowest prices, and buy the cheaper version of the product I want to get.

12. krazyman

krazymanMember

Threads:
    Newegg is the place to go if you are looking to buy software and hardware. Amazon can be good (but you really have to shop) depending on what you are looking for, sometimes if I'm looking for older software (ex. Dragon Naturally Speaking - Nuance) that would be something you could get a good deal on Amazon or eBay.
    Tiger Direct is my opinion for the best venue to purchase Hardware - HardDrives, Sound Cards - anything you might be looking for to speed up or build your own machine.

Good luck!

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just buy them at a nearby computer store because it's much easier to have it repaired or checked whenever any of the products act up. For some smaller items if usually just get it from an online store and have it delivered but for the bigger items that I'd want to be safer on I just buy it nearby so I wouldn't have as much trouble hunting down how to get it repaired.

14. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I always do my computer oriented shopping offline from the market over here. I think it can be really helpful not to buy them online as it can be pirated and nobody would be able to do anything about it.

15. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Using a country specific website. I hate the fact that newegg doesn't ship to europe, romania to be exact. So many pieces are like 100-150$ value and they are priced over 200$ here. While I understand that there is needed to be a profit for these companies, the retail prices are killing me.

16. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I always do most of my online shopping on eBay and Amazon. I can pretty much find anything that I need from those two websites. Besides those two, I would usually go to online retail stores. I also like Gilt and Urban Outfitters.com when I get emails about certain sales.

17. renuji

renujiNew Member

Threads:
    My favorite website is Flipkart and amazon. These both site provide best deal and offers on computer oriented shopping and also provide best services.

18. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I used to go to Newegg but I find Amazon to be more convenient when it comes to stocks. Usually Newegg would run out of stocks on products, especially when they're quite old or dated.

19. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually do my computer oriented shopping offline. I prefer not to do online shopping as i do not trust the parts that are available the offline. I am quite sure that offers are available if there is a certain defect in the parts otherwise usually the offer are not available hands off line shopping make sure that you check all the parts and all the required things before buying it which makes it quite safe.

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Newegg whenever I have anyone to ship it to me, otherwise any random online shop that has the cheapest prices. I'm not really a one shop type of guy.