Have you ever suffered side effects from the beauty products you use?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by thepieeatingjay • Nov 4, 2014.

1. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    Most of us are always trying to find a way to look and feel better. Unfortunately, most of us don't bother to see what we're allergic to before we use these products. With that said, the end result sometimes ends up being something we don't want. Fortunately, for most of us, it can turn out to be no more than a rash. Unfortunately, there are times when people are much worse off.

I myself had a few rashes as a result of skincare products I've had to deal with. Anyone had similar problems?

2. MichelleTheConsumer

MichelleTheConsumerMember

Threads:
    As a matter of fact, I have!

I once bought facial products from one of those companies which rely on house parties.

(I'm not sure if I should mention the name of the company here, so I won't.)

It was a pretty expensive family of products, and one of the products was a cream which was supposed to work particularly around the fragile area around the eyes. I thought that the cream would really help me get rid of some of the wrinkles around my eyes and take care of my dry skin.

Upon using it for the very first time, I was beset with blackheads around my eyes and all over my nose!

I stopped using it immediately and called my friend who was the representative who had the party. I couldn't get hold of her for almost a week, during which time my skin went back to normal.

When she did call me back, she assured me that it could not have been the the cream. She had been representing the company for a very long time, and this was the first time she'd ever heard of such a thing.

Although my face had cleared up by the time we had the conversation, after talking to her, I thought perhaps I had been hasty in blaming the cream and convinced myself that it was a fluke.

I tried it again, and the blackheads were back almost immediately.

I never used their products, and in fact, I've never attended another of their house parties.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Reactions are quite common, which is why now companies do state all the ingredients on the items and nearly all companies have return policies when customers have reactions.
    That's why many companies do offer samples as it is cheaper than having returns and tester allow people to try things in case of allergies.

We can be fine one day and then a year later have a reaction, either because they have changed the formula or your body has changed, maybe through medication. I've had a few reactions, mainly redness which means a product is too strong and stimulating for your skin .

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I have acne. Whenever I try something new, I always get breakouts especially if the beauty product I am using is non-comodogenic. There are also times when I get breakouts or allergies when I stop using a product that I have been using for a long time. I experienced this with ProActiv.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I was allergic to that beauty product or it simply did not jell with my skin type but after using it, rather than eliminate my pimples and give my face a smoother effect, the brand-that-must-not-be-named caused a massive pimple outbreak. It took me a whole year to get rid of the ghastly mounds. Because of that error in judgment, my skin suddenly became extra sensitive and I had to stop using makeup and other facial products altogether. I completely ignored the said brand until they released an anti-bacterial product, which I used together with my current papaya soap. They're a good combination. Without the papaya soap, I don't use the anti-bac facial foam for fear of another outbreak.

6. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    Yes, actually, it's funny because the only skincare products I've ever had a horrible allergic reaction to are two brands that are famous for being "super hypoallergenic". One was a Burt's Bees lotion and the other was one of the most popular lotions in the world, Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion (the old formulation). With both lotions my skin instantly got bright red, hot and itchy where it was applied. I could never figure out what I was reacting to because the ingredients lists seemed really benign. I really should have written to the companies to see if they would help me figure it out, but never got around to it. With Clinique I have a feeling they would have blown me off because they claim to test extensively for allergies. I don't know what goes into those tests and to be honest I think they are a crap company with really overpriced products that are bad for the skin.

You'd think I'd be allergic to those really cheap lotions with tons of synthetic fragrance, but I'm not. Haha! The overpowering smells do bother me and I avoid them, but I have no skin reaction at all to them. Strong smells from products in general, especially laundry products and other people's perfume, tend to make me sneeze.

7. MichelleTheConsumer

MichelleTheConsumerMember

Threads:
    It's funny, but that's how I thought about my reaction to the products that gave me the problem. Strange, I thought, because I'm also allergic to eggs, and they're certainly not cheap, right? And to pollen and bee stings. I'm not sure why we would equate the inexpensive skin products with allergies when we don't categorize allergies to most other things in such a way.

8. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    Yes, I surely did. My face is like a training ground that had been through a lot. Before, I got obsessed with this daily facial routine where I have a separate facial wash, toner, essence, cream, and the list goes on. However, I got a lot of breakouts on my face. It did not do me any good. I asked a dermatologist about it and was told to cut down on all these things. Now, I'm back to just using soap and water and I'm happy with how I look now.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes! I am allergic to most nail polishes, salicylic acid medication and acne treatments, as well as many other skincare products. My skin is quite sensitive so I always have a reaction to one thing or the other. I need to be very careful with what I put on my face especially!

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard thatt we suffer a lot of side effects from the beauty products we use, but I have personally not faced any side effect. I am not such a big fan of beauty product, hence use very less of them. I think it is really not good to use too many of them.

11. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have. Using too strong a soap will cause eczema on my arms. If I keep my skin well moisturized and protect it from harsh winter air, I don't have any problems, but some soaps are very drying and cause a breakout. I currently use an all natural oatmeal soap and am not having any problems with it this year so far.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always buy natural, organic products from my favorite online supplier on iherb.com. I can't tolerate any kind of commercial products and am always deeply suspicious of strange sounding ingredients. In the past I used to buy products from local health food stores, but they were phenomenally overpriced, so I stopped doing it. I often make my own masks and creams when I have the time. So, all in all, I inform myself very well about every and each ingredient before I put it on my body so as to avoid allergic reactions.

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have dry skin, but it's not necessarily sensitive. I've never experienced any side effects, even a rash, from skincare products, although I know plenty of people that have and do. If you have pretty sensitive skin, then products with harsher chemicals or substances in them will almost always cause unwanted side effects. Sometimes it's a rash, and other times it's an allergic reaction.

14. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I am allergic to Avon's eye shadow. I found this out when I tried some and my eyes kept watering and itching so I do not use this type of eye shadow any more. I am also allergic to Proactive. I used this for a couple of days and my face started getting really red from it so I quit using it. I am not usually sensitive when it comes to skin care but those two things did bother me.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I purchased a well known facial product that broke my skin out into little bumps, I returned the product for a refund. I was surprised that it caused me a problem since it came from one of the biggest companies in skin care.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I once used foot powder just to try it out but at the time I didn't really have much problems and instead I just used it because my relative as always using it. After a while I felt a lot more uncomfortable and I felt like my feet were getting a lot more sweaty than usual and after a while I even started to peel a bit in between my toes. Thankfully the damage wasn't permanent as I stopped using it and after a few months I went back to normal.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I ever have. Besides, I usually buy organic beauty products with ingredients I'm not allergic to. I also use them sparingly or at intervals instead of everyday. Most of the products I buy are for external use only and since I don't have sensitive skin and am not suffering from heavy allergies, my tolerance to beauty products in general is relatively high.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That also hasn't happened to me yet, but I do know that one of my relatives suddenly acquired acne while taking some sort of vitamin. So he stopped taking it. I never had an idea before that vitamins can have a negative effect on your skin.

19. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Oh I certainly have. I remember when I was in college my sophomore year my mother sent me with me a big old pack of this new soap that she bought and the stuff gave me a terrible rash, so I was in a little bit of a bind for about a week. I remember this because I was on a very tight budget, being a college student and all, and soap was not something that I was interested in spending my money on.