What do you think of online jobs?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by ExpertAdvice • Nov 6, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Before I ask you formally what your thoughts are about online jobs, I want to make my opinion. The best I've seen, PL, all others just seems to be shams, I am a good writer, I know this because of my successes in writing and my qualifications, however, whenever I sign up with Data Entry sites or sites that pay you to write for them, they reject, and I follow all instructions, what I believe is that they use my articles and don't pay me for them, oh how I would love to call names, anyhow, there loss anyway because I'm still doing well professionally in writing and I'm looking to publish books and start another big gig next month hopefully. What do you think about online jobs- in particular the writing ones?

2. mmug

mmugAdministrator
    Administrator

Threads:
    You might find an answer here:

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Very nice! explain to me please, how did you get to have the link to the direct forum within the words "Online Work is not easy", I think it's known as back linking or something like that, but remind me please! thanks!

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Finding jobs in what they call "writers mill" or "content mills" has always been a disappointment for most writers. It's better to just offer your services as a virtual assistant blogger/writer for other website owners than waste your time working for content mills. I've seen several blogger job offers at odesk and pay are pretty decent. :D

5. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yes oDesk is a good platform but I have been a member for 5 months and have gotten 2 job offers. I submitted 21 applications. Is that good or bad ? One of the job offers required me to speak fluent Spanish so I had to pass. But the pay is decent and you set your minimum amount that you would like to be paid and clients contact you based on that. OP did you try crowdsource ? If you pass their test you can make decent money. I was rejected and they did not even give a reason. And I thought the piece I wrote was pretty solid. Most of the writing sites out there are not good pay though. And the few that are have ridiculous tests where they expect you to write and know 90%+ of all the rules in the English language.

6. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Online job is not for everybody. If you have the skills, you can try selling your services through outsourcing sites like the o-desk and the e-lance, etc. If you have something to sell, you have e-bay on another window.. if have plenty of time and loves to participate on forums, than you can do PL. if you have the skills in selling domain names, you can try flippa, if you know how to create a website and write blog.. do it.... otherwise, you can just sit there and waste time browsing the internet. Oh by the way, there is no get-rich-easily thing on the internet.. if you fall from any of it.. you are most likely to be scammed. good luck!

7. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    Working online can be a decent way to make extra money, but it will not pay the rent unless you put a significant amount of time into it. There are a lot of scams out there. And there are legitimate opportunities. You can go to wahm.com (work at home.com) to read through reviews of different online opportunities to help you sort out the good from the bad. There is money to be made online, but the truth is, you won't make it happen overnight. Most of these opportunities will take months before you really start to see the benefit, and some even have a built in probationary period. If you need money now, working online is probably not the way to go. But it is good to have as a safety net in case something happens to your primary income, or if you are just looking for supplemental income to save up for a vacation or something.

8. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    There are lots of ways one can make money online. I, for one, earn full-time from Internet Marketing. I have regular writing clients but the bulk of my income comes from my own websites. I earn through ads and Amazon affiliate commissions. Freelancing sites are so popular nowadays. My tip when using such sites is to not undersell your services. Many people feel forced to set a low hourly rate just because other people do the same thing. But trust me, if you have a great portfolio, there will be clients that will reach out to you.

9. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I'll just throw this out there, in response to your original comments about being qualified to get paid to write. This post is one long run-on-sentence.

I think getting paid to write is one of those things that is truly limited to a very few and very elite group of people. Either you are in the right niche and you got in good and early, or you are actually pretty talented and entertaining, or you are well-connected in an industry that simply needs grunts in the writing business.

At any rate, the Internet to me isn't necessarily a place to "make money" but I do find that getting paid to do things isn't impossible. The link in my signature contains all my favorite Internet paying sites. Actually, the top of the list is my favorite list of smartphone apps.

10. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    I don't think that the work is very easy either. I would like to find one that benefits me to a point where it helps pay some serious bills. Even if I do find a very good work-at-home job, it still wouldn't beat getting out there in the world and meeting new people.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm new to online working, so I'm still learning and finding my feet. My thoughts so far? I'm really enjoying it and like the flexibility that comes with it. However; good, reputable sites are very far and few between. On top of that, if you don't live in the US/EU/Canada regions, your chances of finding good paid online work are slashed dramatically. I'm not deluded into thinking I can grow rich working online, but it's just something nice to keep me chugging along while I explore other job options. So far I've only been able to find and work for one online site, and that's going well. Although it's not fantastic money, it's better than sitting at home doing nothing and not bringing anything in to put food on the table. I've not tried any writing website yet, but it's something I'd like to look into in the new year :) I've heard of few good ones, so I'll just have to wait and see.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of online work, as a mother, because if I could find legitimate work online , I could spend more time with my daughter. But a lot of online work pays too little for the amount of effort that you have to put in. An online writer has to put in 16 hours to make what a fast food worker earns in 7 hours. And of course there's no one to regulate what internet jobs pay.

13. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well with online work I kind of see it this way, its nice work if you can get it. But if you do get please tell me how you got it. In other words I have been at this for years and have found very few online streams of income that are decent. When I do finally find one that is good and seems to pay decently I lose it, and back to square one in looking. I too have tested for Crowdsource, twice the first time I was turned down within the frame of time they give when you test. The second time I tested was right before Thanksgiving and I have yet to hear a word from them about my results. But I won't hold my breathe from what I have heard online they are not easy to get in with as a writer.

14. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Online work is a bit of extra money, but is hard as a career unless you work for a company from home. Many jobs can be done online, but these days businesses are cutting costs to get more profits. That said some companies prefer to hire people online as they are easier to dispense with and have no overheads, it's finding good companies to work for that is the issue and once in, many people won't share or leave.

I don't see writing as an online job, because writers don't only write online. A content writer is an online job as opposed to a writer who writes novels.

15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see being a writer as an online job either. It's a profession and not a job, unless you work for a periodical or publishing company or something like that as a staff member where you punch a clock. Situations like that usually involve something more than writing, or you handle a specific task of content creation and report to an editor. Being a writer on your own is more like being an artist or a musician because you put in time crafting your work on your own time and get paid for it later.

If you're not making enough money per piece to pay a bill or even put gas in your car, it's not a job.

16. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been working online as a language instructor for a few months now, and I am quite happy with the work, pay and flexible hours. But I have to say that my qualifications made a big difference in getting a well-paid job. I like working online because I am independent wherever I go. I really like working from home. Also, I am not restricted to staying in one place. I can take my laptop and headset along wherever I go. All it takes is careful planing and preparation.

17. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    Online work is definitely not for everyone. I also think that failing or passing some assessment test is not the factor that decides if you are a good writer or not. I think for the most part online work should be used as something to have at least a little bit of money in your pocket while you're in between jobs (although there are people who make a living doing it). Even if you never try it again, you gave it a try and that's more than a lot of people can say.

18. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    I'm just piggy backing on your comment CB. Making money as a writer is definitely not easy. I do not, nor will not pretend to be a person who might do wonderful things in the literary world. I make a little here, and a little there just to suppliment a retirement income.

What I believe the initiator of the thread needs to do is to learn how to proof read her/his own complaint, or query. He might even need to read his writings out loud and as written in order to figure the commas and periods. The rules of such do get lost in memory at times. Small things make for less mistakes, better content, and a more pleasant dialog. Hence, more openings for better money.

#18Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  19. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    It's not necessarily easy to get online writing jobs, but it's certainly not impossible. Bear in mind that you're competing with thousands around the world and sometimes it's a seller's market - i.e. more supply than demand.

At the end of the day, regardless of whether you think you're a decent writer, it all depends on the criteria laid out by the service provider. If you can meet it, you can get work. I've been writing a bit on CrowdSource and intend to write a lot more there and elsewhere in 2015.

20. DTracy3

DTracy3Member

Threads:
    The thing about online shops is that they aren't a way to make easy money. They are hard work and the more work you put into it the more you can often earn. Another problem is that there are a lot of scams. Make always a background check of an offer or the company that's offering it, if you google it and there are already a lot of sites popping up that are warnings, it's never a good sign. It can sometimes be hard to find decent information about for jobs online, but if you're dedicated it's totally possible to work that way.