Do women sleep more than men?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Nov 6, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From my personal case I see that my wife sleeps more than me. So the question here is, do women have a bigger need to sleep than men? Or do both men and women need to sleep the same? Do some people just stress out more during the day and therefore need to sleep more?

2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Lol, this is a good question, love it. My wife sleeps more than I do too, but! she can sleep for a quick three or four hours and get up whilst I can't do that. I need my sleep for a longer period. I don't think it's a need. Biological difference may be? on a second thought, I have had some experience, I notice that older women tend to sleep more than their husbands, interesting..

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suppose that it would vary on a case by case basis.

Most of the women I've known slept more than their husbands but when their kids were young they slept less because they had to attend to the needs of their kids first. I think it's just fair. Sleeping more evens out the sacrifices they made.

4. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    I believe that the amount of sleep that one should be getting doesn't depend on sexuality. But it can be affected by a couple of things. Maybe your wife does a lot of things within the day so that might be the reason why she sleeps more than you. Just my personal opinion, though!

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never heard anything scientific on this, and I would never think women more than men. In my house it was always the opposite. My father slept a lot while my mother got maybe six hours of sleep a day. It's the same with me and my brother, he sleeps so much more than I do. I am not married or live with a man so I cannot compare myself to someone closer to my age, but I don't sleep a lot, and to me men were always lazier from personal experience.!

6. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    I think that women do need more sleep. Well I honestly kind of think it really just depends on the situation. Right now, I am breastfeeding my son and that makes me extremely tired. Before I had my son, I would sleep whenever and it didn't really matter how much I got. My fiance used to be the same way. Now that my son is here, it has been a whole different story. My fiance used to only sleep for 3 hours a day and now if he doesn't get to sleep he will breakdown. I could stay awake for days for my son. I've done it plenty of times. I think it really just depends on the situation. But I think women need more sleep just to handle all the stress that we tackle. Men always seem to brush off stress unlike us.

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think it all depends on the kind of job you do during the daytime. If it is hectic then surely they need more sleep than the men. I do not think you can generalise on the fact that men sleep less than women. It all depends on the biological reasons.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a stereotype that men and boys sleep longer than women as it takes them less time to get ready. Women like to get up early to get to the bathroom, put on their make-up and choose what to wear. Boys can get up and go within minutes after staying with a friend's teenage boys, they had little maintenance.

Women do like their beauty sleep, where boys can stay up late and watch films and play games, but they don't mind about bags under the eyes unless they are gay and I have gay male friends who are worse than women for getting ready, so, no there is no gender bias, but dependent on lifestyles and then think of all the insomniacs!

9. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know that there is a difference when you average it all out. I know many moms get less sleep compared to their husbands because they have to get up earlier to get the kids ready and then end up being up late every night trying to finish everything that has to be done. My mom didn't get more than 6 hours a night all my growing up years. It's one of the reasons I decided marriage and children are not for me. I would crash and fall apart long before my kids made it to elementary school.

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know that I've ever heard much scientific or verifiable on this- as to whether one gender really needs more sleep than the other. I imagine it's a lifestyle thing, though women are more prone to certain diseases and problems that can cause chronic fatigue or be associated with it, so I suppose there might be something to the thought. I do feel like I need to sleep more than my husband a lot of the time, but I also feel like I end up maximizing my energy more efficiently when I am awake.

11. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I've always been a big sleeper. I like to go to bed early and if my schedule permits, I'm always able to sleep in in the morning. My husband on average gets an hour or two less sleep than I do on a regular basis. He wakes up earlier. He often goes to bed later. And there are plenty of days when I also take a nap and he never does that.

I'm not sure that it would be accurate to say he needs less sleep than me though. I think he just deals with it and moves on, and is perpetually tired.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Biological affiliation has nothing to do with it. Women need just about the same amount of sleep as men. Everyone employed longs to sleep properly. Once you join the work force, you get lesser time for sleep. When you build a family, all the more so. People with stressful jobs tend to foster the habit of sleeping less.

13. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I don't necessarily think that this is a situation that you can generalize. It's funny but these roles can switch. Women can sleep just as much as men. Whoever needs the most rest is who will sleep the longest I suppose.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My wife does sleep more than me most of the time, but some days I am just so tired that I fall asleep on the couch around 9PM and I sleep till 6AM; so it's basically a sleep marathon. Apart from those exceptions, she sleeps more than me.

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think there is a difference because either gender could have the same amount of stress. It may be that they need more though during the time of the month. Maybe that is what you are referring to but that could probably be combated with drinking lots of water and eating enough iron.

16. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it could be due to other health conditions or maybe some changes in the diet. Now that you mention it, my wife doesn't drink much water, it's rare that I see her drinking. As for iron to be honest, I don't even know what foods have iron...

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know about women sleeping more than men. I think every body is different in the amount of sleep it requires. I don't need a lot of sleep so I sleep less than the other people in my house and I am the oldest.

18. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's a matter of gender at all. I think it's simply a matter of how tired you are. I you've had a really long day or are just extremely fatigued, then I'm pretty sure that you'll sleep longer than someone who has had a pretty relaxed day, and has a lot more energy than you. I think thinking about it more than that wouldn't make much sense.

19. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I think it comes down more to the individual. Naturally I sleep 10 hours, but I can get by with just 8 if I need to. My partner, he sleeps 7-8 naturally, and can get by with just 4-6 hours if he really needs to. So whenever we have no choice but to go to bed late and wake up early, he sleeps just fine while I sometimes prefer not sleeping at all because I know once I'm deep asleep there's no waking me.

On the flipside my mom only sleeps like 5 hours, and my dad close to 8 (more like 10 when I was a kid). She always told me I slept too much just like my dad. So I don't think it's a gender thing more of an individual thing

20. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I spend more time in bed than my boyfriend but I don't actually sleep more. He sleeps like the dead. Once he's down, he doesn't get back up until his alarm goes off. I get up to use the bathroom. Read for a while. Maybe even have a snack or do the dishes. I wake up because I'm uncomfortably cold or hot. I wake up to let the dog out. I wake up when a spider sneezes. I typically sleep for a total of 6-8 sleep periods with no sleep period longer than 90 minutes and most in the 45 minute to an hour range. 6 hours, waking up every 90 minutes is not at all the same as 6 hours total. I typically have to be in bed at LEAST 9 hours to get those 6 hours of sleep. He sleeps blissfully through my waking up and wonders why I'm so tired when I went to bed before him. BUT the one time I woke him up on purpose every time I was awake, he couldn't even function well enough the next day to go in to work. Welcome to my world, sweetheart. Now, he's more understanding when I want to grab a quick mid-afternoon nap.