What Is The Point Of Starbucks?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by TheViper • Nov 11, 2014.

1. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Can someone please explain to me why Starbucks even if remotely popular? The only thing it is that they do is take regular coffee and load it up with sugar. The price is nothing to be desired and would do well to just make your own cup every morning.

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Convenience and brand recognition, that's why it's popular. Most people like to do things with ease and buy from business people they are aware of and trust. You won't see a lot of people or no people buying coffee from some shady looking character selling in a dark alley. In a esoteric sense, Starbucks coffee symbol is very recognizable and appeals to the human mind, also this is an excerpt describing their reason behind it:

"So, a little history.

Let’s go all the way back to 1971, to when Starbucks was first coming to be. In a search for a way to capture the seafaring history of coffee and Seattle’s strong seaport roots, there was a lot of poring over old marine books going on. Suddenly, there she was: a 16th century Norse woodcut of a twin-tailed mermaid, or Siren. There was something about her – a seductive mystery mixed with a nautical theme that was exactly what the founders were looking for. A logo was designed around her, and our long relationship with the Siren began."

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of Starbucks and I don't even like coffee. I'm a big tea drinker, but it's more than the beverages or even the food. I started going there because a group I belonged to met there. It's a great place for short meetings, meeting clients or just to get away from the office.

The staff is also part of the reason why Starbucks is successful. All of the baristas at my local Starbucks knew my name and favorite drink. That's a rarity. The customer service is outstanding. I have only had one bad experience with a barista. I let her know and she apologized profusely.

4. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    It beats the hell out of the bikini barista stands that are usually only good for one thing. If I wanted to look at boobs I'd go to a strip joint not a coffee stand that sells horrible coffee. I love Starbucks because I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I do drink mochas. I know mochas are pretty much coffee, but I love white mochas. Plus as someone else said, Starbucks is a company everyone trusts.

5. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I understand that the customer service can be great. Though, I have found that people spend so much money at Starbucks when they can easily make it themselves. Now, if you are on the go and need a quick pick up of caffeine. Then I can see why going by your local Starbucks is something you would choose. Though, leaving out in the morning to make sure you are there on time so you can order a basic coffee with cream. To me just seems like a waste of money when you can brew your own for a fraction of the cost.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't know why they do it either as I don't really drink coffee anymore and I don't buy from Starbucks all that much even when I crave it, but I'd guess that it's because they provide good brewed coffee and buying from them saves people from having to brew coffee at home which then they would have to clean up after each use of the coffee machine. Also I'm sure there are coffee enthusiasts out there who value the extra quality even if it is a little expensive.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Their fancy coffee drinks are pretty popular. I rarely drink those. I prefer regular coffee most of the time, and I don't think Starbucks regular coffees tastes that great. It's definitely not worth the price to me. If I crave a [long description here] coffee, I might get one at Starbucks. For plain coffee, I'd go most anywhere else or even make some at home. I've even been gifted Starbucks coffee to make at home and it isn't as good as other brands, in my opinion. The aroma isn't even as pleasing to me, and I love the smell of coffee.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Starbucks just became one of those brands that people love, much like Apple. It's just a distinct brand that everybody knows and everybody recognizes. It also built a strong and solid reputation. Their coffees are pretty good and there are several different interesting types and flavors. However, that alone would not justify its fame. They were smart enough to engage their customers and provide a great customer experience!

9. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I could not agree with you more, I think people go to a place because It has an interest to the wider population, Starbucks has it's advantages but for a simple coffee shop, it shouldn't be all people talk about. When I first heard of Starbucks, I thought it was a candy, like..Starburst, smh. anyway, people go crazy for something when where's only one thing of its kind available, Starbucks must be doing something right to keep all it's customer.

10. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure, Starbucks is an American thing from what I've heard. In my country we have a lot of good quality cafes which make cheap and high-quality coffee, which is why I've heard that Starbucks isn't as popular.

11. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    I honestly used to think the same thing. My first time at Starbucks was awful. I hated it. Then my friend suggested I try a java chip. It is amazing. And it's the only place I can find this certain drink. If you love chocolate and iced coffee this is your drink for sure! It is so good. I don't think that their coffee is really the best seller because I think it's honestly the random drinks that they can make with it. I highly recommend you try the java chip. Only if you like iced coffee and chocolate chips. It is very strong and the awesome part is is that you can get it without the caffine.

12. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Homemade Starbucks coffee (seriously)

Take a bag of any coffee beans you like.
    Stick them in the oven 375 for approx 10 to 15 minutes.
    Grind (enough to fill basket or filter almost to top)
    Fill basket up with ground beans
    Brew

Seriously... all Starbucks Coffee is is over cooked beans and they put a large amount in the basket when they brew it so the coffee is more concentrated. Why do you think it's so expensive. They use a lot of it per brew and they roast the beans longer then normal.

13. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I believe it is its convenience and brand value. There are Starbucks everywhere. People can get access to it anytime they want. Moreover, Starbucks can give its customers the impression that Starbucks is of high quality life style. People who buy from Starbucks always feel that they are superior. So even though it is much more expensive than other coffee shop, people are still willing to buy from Starbucks.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't know the answer to that question, as I have never been to Starbucks. Actually, I don't even pay it any attention. It has never occurred to me to go there for a coffee. I prefer small cafes where they sell organic coffee and artisan cakes and cookies. I guess Starbucks is just a matter of convenience in big cities where it's difficult or time consuming to get to your favorite cafe during your lunch break or while you are shopping.

15. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    I honestly never understood the appeal. They over roast their beans, and the quality is no better than what I can grind at home. I can get a 2lb bag of Starbucks beans from Sam's Club or Costco for about $17. This will make 90 cups (6oz), which comes out to be about 18 cents per cup. There really is no reason to make a daily trip to the store for your cup of joe.

There are a few rare occasions that I get Starbucks is when I am travelling. It is like the McDonald's of the coffee industry. No matter what town I am in, there is likely to be a Starbucks. While I am not a fan of their coffee, it is better than the boiled peanut shell soup that some people sell (I'm looking at you, Allsups!). The only other time that I get Starbucks is when a friend wants to meet there, or I get a gift card for Christmas.

16. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I used to think this way also, but I enjoy getting my hot chocolate from Starbucks. It's also interesting to take note of which location is better and most consistent at making it the way that I enjoyed. I think it's the convenience of it all. Yes, you can make it at home, but what happens after you drink it? You may want more, so a trip to Starbucks or one of its many competitors is what you do, to the point where making it at home is the stupid thing, not running in and out buying a drink on the go.

17. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    I'd like to think about starbucks like being the apple of coffee-shops. They sell very expensive regular coffee. I don't know why people are being attracted to them, their coffee has nothing special, I guess is just the thing that is with Apple, people like spending more money on regular things in order to look more arrogant.

18. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I think Starbucks is justifiably popular. For one thing, there is a store in practically every decent sized down. So that makes it a lot like McDonalds. It's a product that is widely available. Yes, they are a bit overpriced. But they do make very good coffee, and especially specialty drinks. While other companies may make comparable coffee, I do think Starbucks is just a bit better in terms of taste than most of them.

19. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    It's party of my culture really. I live in the Seattle area so to not go to a Starbucks is like not going to Mt. Rainier. I mean yeah it's overpriced and expensive, and it'd be a lot cheaper to brew some coffee at home, but I don't. And most of the time people are in a hurry and need a quick pick me up.

20. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    I'm not a really big fan, but I've been to Starbucks a couple of times already and I've nothing but good words to say to them. Yes, it's true, the price of their coffees might be a bit over the top but in my opinion, it's worth it. These coffees definitely taste good and I've never had any single complaint about my order being wrong or mismatched. Also, the customer service is great. The people who work there are very nice. Their place is always cozy and relaxing.