Anyone Signup For Simple.com?

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by Beetler76 • Jun 4, 2012.

1. Beetler76

Beetler76Member

Threads:
    Did anyone signup for the Bank Simple? I saw them and I was really excited. I have chase and I like them... but this looks so much better.

2. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of them before. I would have to be cautious about any of the programs like this because they do not seem proven. Not only that I know that some of the Internet banking companies fall outside of FDIC regulations which means if they close you lose all of your money!

3. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I took a quick look at them. It says something on their site about "invitation only", but all one has to do is click on a link to fill out a brief form to get an invite. I'll see what happens. I will definitely be looking to see if they are FDIC insured and what kind of interest rates they have to offer. It is so discouraging these days with the interest rates so low! I remember back in 1999 I joined one of the first internet banks and opened up a FDIC insured checking account with a 6% interest rate! Ah...the good old days...

4. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of them. I use BoA and would like to change but I want a local branch. I do use ING for my kids savings and online banking works good for that.

5. Beetler76

Beetler76Member

Threads:
    lol... right... all my money :)

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I also have never heard of them. I don't think that hey are great because if they are, then people would have been talking about them but I haven't heard from my friends. Even to those who are financially updated.

7. abbywillow

abbywillowNew Member

Threads:
    I have not heard of this bank. I just stay away from Wells Fargo. Once, they put my money in a strangers' account, allowing me to accrue hundreds of dollars in overdraft fees. They then told me their mistake was MY fault. I was livid, but they fixed the mistake and got me my money back. I then closed my account and have used cash ever since. I like just managing my own money. Banks are too risky a lot of the time.

8. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of them but thank you for asking. I will be popping over to check them out. I have been wanting a new online bank just for myself!

9. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I looked at their website and I think it looks good for things you usually use your bank account online for I suppose without endangering your savings account to hackers and such. It'll sort of function like a prepaid card with added services. If you keep the account isolated and only use it for online transactions and things like paying bills and don't attach your credit card or any other savings account to it, it should be a good option if you want your financial information to be more secure. So you'll only be exposing your simple card information to your regular transactions instead of your savings account or a credit card..

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From the company's blog:

It does look very interesting. I might sign up just to get a better understanding of what this company does. It seems like it's a middleman between the banks and the consumers.

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never heard of this before so am not sure exactly what it is, is it a bank?

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must join the majority of the people hear, I have not heard of this bank. I do believe I would avoid putting money into this bank since so many people have lost money in the past with known banks, this one is an unknown. Too many questions about their history.

13. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm safely not into online banking, as you quint, your money will be gone, I really have not heard about Simple.com and or any or it's affiliates, I don't heard anything about it being backed by any government support or strong investment so I am not gonna try that out, I have to see prove of it first from a reliable source in order for me to change my mind and do anything with them. I'm not ruling them out, I'm simply saying, not now, because I haven't heard enough.

14. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I've had a Simple account since they opened for business a few years go. I love using them as a bank and they have a really great customer service team. I must say that it's always surprising how many people on this forum make comments without checking out the product that they are commenting on.

This is from the Simple.com website:

"The funds in your Simple account are held by our partner bank, The Bancorp Bank, Member FDIC. Simple provides everything else, including the Simple Visa® Card, our powerful iOS and Android apps, a beautifully designed web interface, and customer support that really cares."

"Are my deposits insured by the FDIC?
    Yes, all the funds in your account are held by our partner bank, The Bancorp Bank, Member FDIC. They’re insured by The Bancorp Bank to at least the FDIC maximum (currently $250,000)."

They offer free checking/savings accounts, and they really don't like to charge fees. That is partly why I opened an account with them. I am not required to keep a minimum balance and I can set savings goals. I also use Capital One 360 and I like them both just fine. I mostly use my Simple card as a backup debit card, but I use the online banking for many different things.

I would advise looking into the website further before you make a decision. They have a really good mobile app (if that is something you use), and you can IM customer service from the app as well.