Can you afford two cars?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Peninha • Nov 14, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    About 3-4 years ago I had two cars, but we had to sell one because we just had too many expenses. Sure that we miss it from time to time, but we had to be rational and we do manage now we just one. Can you afford two cars or do you consider this is a luxury?

2. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I can't even afford one car, let's not even talk about 2 cars here. I am planning to buy another one and selling this one. It would be a second hand car most probably. It's all I can afford as a student.

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Don't worry my friend, the time will come when you will be able to afford several, as for now, keeping finding those ways to make your pocket less empty :) A second hand car isn't as bad as you would want to think though, just buy one that's really not that terribl, although that would mean more money spend, but, if you do that, and you care the car well, you know, regular services, oil changes and so forth, you'll find that it will last you very long, a Toyota or a Honda brand is the best way to go.

4. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I thought about driving for Uber, or Lyft. I considered getting a brand new leased car. Yet when I discovered how much the insurance and upkeep would cost, I gave up the idea.

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We currently have two cars but we're planning on selling the older one too because our expenses are piling up. My dad used to drive the other car but he's currently not in the condition of being able to drive. I also am not able to maintain two cars because I kinda have a lot of things to do at work.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd like to have another car that's more fuel efficient than the one I already have. The money I'd save on gas . . .

But because money is tight right now, I can't afford to buy another car. It may take me about 2 years to save enough money to buy a new car but no matter how long it takes I will.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am having a hard time affording one car, it's super expensive taking it to revision, buying fuel, paying for the insurance, so no way I will have two cars again, that is something of the past for me, definitely. Who knows one day if my life conditions change.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, we can't even afford to buy a little run around right now! Ideally, we'd have two separate cars for flexibility and a little freedom. I don't see having two cars in a household as a luxury at all. When we do buy a car (which I'm hoping is in about twelve months max), it'll be a little second hand run around. I'm just glad that we now have that choice because for a long time in Botswana, second hand cars were unheard of. Now the market is flooded with them, and you can actually get an affordable car in good condition :)

9. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    there was a time I could afford two cars easily. Things have changed so much that these days I am struggling to keep one car afloat. It seems like even the smallest things are so expensive right now. I need my brakes done, that's going to cost quite a bit. My sons car needs an oil change, and there is a nick in my rear tail light. You just can't replace a piece anymore you have to buy the whole unit. Not cheap. Add that to the high cost of gasoline. Two cars is a struggle.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely cannot afford two cars. My car is a 2007 Chevrolet and this is all I can have right now. I was looking to get a new car in the beginning of the year, but with some unexpected expenses I had on the last couple of months I decided not to unless I get a promotion or something like that. I definitely cannot have two cars. But I don't consider having two cars a luxury if you have a big family and need those to transport. My mom and dad always had two cars and we were never rich.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Times have changed a lot in my country so I am not the only case of a person that had two cars and now only has one. And let me tell you that it's a struggle to gather the money for the insurance, revision, repairs and inspection, it's a lot of money, but we do need it for our day to day.

12. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In a lot of developed countries owning two used cars isn't a big deal. In fact, some poor or middle class people could afford 20 used cars! However, there just isn't a need for more than 2 or 3 cars. In fact, some just get by on one. Now, on the other hand, in some developing nations, obtaining even one used automobile can be a lot of money.

Oh, by the way, when I mention used cars, I'm assuming they are in decent condition.

#12Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that having 2 cars is a luxury. Right niw we have a small car with 1200 cc engine and an SUV with 2300 cc engine. Obviously, we save in gas when we use the small car. The preventive maintenance if the 2 cars is expensive and we are thinking of selling one car to lessen our expenses. However, there is a traffic rule that you cannot use your car one day in the week depending on the plate number of your car. And it's hard to get a cab when the car is banned hence it is convenient to have 2 cars.

14. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    We have two cars. Infact the recent purchase was about two months ago. It is a second hand car. We needed a bigger car for long journeys and that which accomodate more people.

We don't have much maintanence costs and both the vehicle are used only occasionally.

15. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Even though I can afford two cars within a tight budget I would consider it as a luxury in my case. We are a family of five and there is the need for only one car. I have a two wheeler too which I use for short trips and there is no hassles of parking. If we use car for a single person we are just wasting money and polluting the environment. But when you are with family of four or more we have to use a four wheeler.

When travelling alone for long journey's I usually opt for public transport. I find it comfortable and free myself for sight seeing. I use car for long trips with family or if I have to purchase a lot of items like monthly grocery which is not possible in a two wheeler.

16. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, many times it's not if we can afford it, but if we are better off spending our money in things we need more. For my family two cars would be great, but it's an expense we really don't need, as we have other priorities, so we find ways to manage with just one car. Life is full of choices we need to make!

17. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Now I am not planning to have two cars, one car is just enough for me in the mean time. If I have much money I would rather go for properties that have the tendencies to appreciate with time. Cars do not appreciate and not a good way to invest I guess.

18. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    As long as I am rich, I can afford more than two cars for that matter. In other countries, you can see a mere employee of a company has used a car to go to work. Acquiring a car is a part of their way of living. However there are also people in that place that they couldn't afford to get even a bike. In our country in particular, it is impossible for me to get even a car for I am just a government employee and with a family of six. Having a car is only a dream which is too far for realization.

19. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Ouch, I am really sorry to hear about that @Nakitakona@Nakitakona. I can't even imagine how it is to have a family of 6 and not having a car, it has to make transportation way more complicated. Being six you would need a mini-van, as a car wouldn't be enough to transport you all. In what country are you?

20. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I can't even afford to purchase even 1 car for now, but of course I'm planning to buy one in the future, or even more. Having 2 cars isn't a luxury in my opinion because you can use them in different situations or activities. My hubby and I are actually planning to have 1 sedan and 1 SUV or van. We will be using the sedan for daily activities or if we need to go shopping or run an errand while the SUV or van for family outings and trips together with friends if we are more than 7 or won't fit in the car.