What made you choose the brand name comouter you have?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by MrsJones • Nov 15, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have been doing a lot of surveys recently. I've noticed questions regarding PC and MAC options. It got me to thinking about why I've settled on purchasing a PC versus a MAC. I don't know enough about computer technology to say that one is better than the other, so what made me buy a PC and not a MAC?

Looking back I believe when I was first introduced to computers in college, PCs were all that were used. If they were MAC computers I was never told. So that's why I've always purchased at PC and have been quite satisfied.

No salesperson ever suggested a MAC to me. I have looked at a lot of computers and they all look the same to me. So unless a MAC was pointed out to me, and it never was, I don't know the difference between the two and I am curious now.

Do you own a PC or a MAC? What are your reasons for choosing it?

2. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I think PC are more easy to be repaired than the MAC.. well.. during the time when I first bought my computer. That was in my personal opinion only and aside from that the price of the PC is relatively cheaper than the mac.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought my first computer so I could play games on it. At that time, most games could only run on Windows so I had no options but to get myself a PC [I hear Macs these days can be classified as PCs].

In any case Macs were so expensive at that time that unless you had a good reason to spend that kind of money when there was a cheaper and better alternative [for gamers] out there you simply had to buy a PC because they were cheaper.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never owned a MAC, only a PC since it's cheaper and more compatible with various games and software. I don't think buying a MAC is practical for people on a budget, like me.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I do a lot of design work so I kind of have to have a mac. Now I've been using them for ten years so I don't think I'll ever switch back. I'm happy with them and have never had any troubles.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never owned a MAC in my life. The reason? Well, I think MACs are more expensive than PCs. I've heard people saying that MACs have great features and functionality but I grew up using a PC and I feel comfortable using it.

If I'll shift to a MAC, I think that there will be a bit of a learning curve which would affect my productivity. So rather than going for a MAC, I always go for a PC. But, who knows? Maybe in the future, when I have more money, maybe I'm going to try out a MAC.

7. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I own a PC, an ASUS one. I picked up an ASUS after hearing recommendations from my friends, and thus far I've been very pleased with the performance-to-price ratio. In my opinion it is very well designed and built, unlike certain other PC makes on the market today...

8. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    I will always go PC, just like I will always go Android over iPhone. Apple is a greedy company with products that work no better than their competition. But to answer your question, in the past (before the days of "I-everything") the mac only had about 15% of the market. No one knew how to operate them, and no one worked on them. I stuck with what I knew. Then Apple started donating their Macs to schools, and changed everything. Maybe I am just old-fashioned (and old, period), but I will always stick with the PC (although I hate Windows 8, but that's another story).

9. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I own a PC, and the reason I chose it is just because it's what I used ever since I was a kid. Mac has some really cool features and it's very reliable, but I feel like it's too restrictive. On a Windows OS you can easily install and use almost any program under the sun. You don't have that convenience on Macs, and that's the biggest reason I have aside from familiarity.

10. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I bought my current computer through Amazon.com. Every Christmas Amazon has a super sale that lasts until the first week in January.
    I searched Amazon for the amount of Ram I wanted. I also sorted the results by price. Then I pointed and clicked on the HP. I love my computer. As long as I have the super swift Comcast high powered internet service to go along with it.

11. legendia

legendiaNew Member

Threads:
    I've been a PC user my whole life, so the choice was obvious for me. I am open to trying out other OS's. I've installed Ubuntu on my old Laptop. At the time, I actually felt like it was a step up from Windows, since this was during the Windows XP days. However, after Windows 7, MS has really stepped up their game. I'm really happy with Windows 7 and, from what I have seen of Windows 10, I like it too.

As for the actual brand of my computer, my very first laptop was an ASUS. I got it because it was cheap and reliable. A couple years later, I was working full time, so I wanted to invest in something better. Got myself a Lenovo Thinkpad, which I loved. It's definitely showing it's age now. Recently replaced it with an HP. Not a huge fan of HP, but this particular laptop was on sale and a really good deal, so I couldn't resist. I'm almost ready to buy another laptop next year. I wanted to wait for Windows 10 before making the jump. Still not sure what I'm going to invest in, though. Usually what I do is go online and find reviews. Even though I liked my Lenovo, not all Lenovos are great. Same with my HP, or any laptop manufacturer for that matter. It's best to look at specific models and find reviews, rather than just blindly going with a specific brand name.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have an old Mac and I am happy with its performance. I originally purchased it just to test it out because I've never gotten to use an Apple product before at the time and after some time I found myself enjoying my experience. It has faired very well especially when compared to the Windows laptop options I had at that time, although now I think they have caught up a fair amount to the new standards that MacBooks have set.

13. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I'm a fan of Apple for as long as i can remember. We all know they are the leader when it comes to technology matter so i really do trust their products more than anything else. I have an apple laptop and I've been using this for over a year now and so far i haven't really encountered issues. It's the best a computer can get. :p

14. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    I've had brand computers such as DELL, HP, Lenovo and others. To be honest there isn't a single difference from any generic clone's performance with roughly the same specs. I'm able to build my own computers, so the times I've chosen a brand it has been simply because of either simple convenience for a friend or client to have support or the need to have a computer PRONTO without having to assemble its parts.

One thing I like about building your own PC vs getting a pre-build one is the level of customization and the fact you don't pay more to have the name of a company on it (we know brand computers have to charge more to keep the company owner's pockets in good shape).

15. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't do much research when I bought my last laptop. I simply walked into the store of our local computer shop and the guy there, who has more than 20 years of experience with computers, convinced me to buy the laptop that I still have today. It's been a marvelous machine in the last three years, never letting me down.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always owned a PC. I decided to buy a PC because most of the current software at that time was made for PCs. I also thought that MACs were overpriced. I also worked on PCs at work as was quite comfortable working with PCs.

I have gone through several brands of PCs. HP, Packard Bell, Compaq, Toshiba, IBM and Lenovo. Lenovo is my favorite brand and HP is my least favorite only because I don't think Packard Bell.

17. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    At one time in my life, I wanted an Apple computer and took a lot of time researching the purchase. But, when it was time to buy it, I just couldn't invest that much money in it. I had the money, but I just couldn't do it.

I've stayed with a PC because I use this one program that only works on a PC and while there have been many clones of the program, I haven't been interested in any of them.

18. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think it can be really great to have the best computer in the world. I really prefer to use Sony more than any other computer. I believe Sony is one of the best computer that is available. I think it is one of the best available

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased several different brands of computers a Dell, a HP and a Gateway, of all of the computers the Dell has stood the test of time. The Dell is a desktop computer that is slow and old but it still works. I need to purchase a new computer now and plan to get a new Dell.

20. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve been using Macs my whole life. I grew up around artists, and Macs were the standard for most of my schooling, so I’ve gotten used to them. I can switch pretty readily between systems, but I’ll always opt for a Mac. I tend to put my laptops through the wringer, but they usually last quite long despite my heavy usage. I’m pretty sure if I tried that with a Windows laptop, I would have to buy a new one every couple of years.