Diy

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by JessiFox • Nov 15, 2014.

1. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    So, a lot of us are open to Diy and handmade gifts, but what specifically do you make? Or, alternatively, what are some DIY gifts that you'd actually be excited to receive? It's getting close to that time of year, let's share some ideas ;).

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I should have started already, to be honest, but I'm behind. I haven't made many gifts this year. I will probably still make a few things. One of the items I want to make is a photo display thing for my mom, so she can hang it on her fridge. I'm just going to paint/decorate a piece of craft wood, paint and glue on mini clothespins for holding the photos, and attach some magnets to the back. I'm also starting a crocheted baby blanket.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a very creative/artistic person, so making DIY from scratch will just end up badly. I have tried some though by following instructions on Pinterest to the letter. They are okay although I try to give them only to those people I am close to. I don't feel comfortable giving personalized items to people I just met.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's cool that you were able to make some things following good directions. That means all you need is a little practice, and soon you'll be making all kinds of stuff. ;)

Yeah, I usually reserve handmade items for people I'm close to, unless it's a gift basket or something. I love making those. There are tons of ideas for putting together cute gift baskets, and they can make good gifts for anyone.

So, Jessi, what are you making?

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    DIY gifts I plan to give this year include baked goods, homemade body scrubs and possibly paper ornaments, but not sure about that one.

I would be excited to receive any food item, home made scrubs/soaps/creams, pretty much anything consumable.

6. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I would ask the lady of the house in an inconspicuous way the color schemes of their home. Then create an artificial floral arrangement for a room or area in the home. I've crocheted matching hat and scarf sets and lap blankets. I don't know what I plan for this year, it's getting pretty close....

7. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I usually make clothing. Any type of clothing; shirts, skirts, blouses, pants, children's clothing. I also make purses and jewelry using glass beads. Making creative journals or collages is another favorite of mine. Handmade gifts that I like are shawls, jewelry, and trinkets. I also appreciate homemade oils or anything a little quirky and unique. Handmade dresses and skirts are also a favorite of mine and homemade jams.

8. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to knit and crochet; so I usually make socks or slippers for family members. I really enjoy making them, and they are quick and easy to do, especially the slippers.
    I also like to make little crocheted throw rugs using yarn and plastic grocery bags cut into loops and rolled uplike yarn. I use a strand of yarn and a strand of plarn, as the plastic yarn is called.
    It is getting close to Christmas, and I have just been busy with other things; so I don't know if I will get slippers made this year or not.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm loving all these ideas guys! Thanks for the inspiration :).

I'm definitely making some food gifts, primarily baked goods and candies. I might do some painting and other art as well, and I was considering branching out this year to some bath/spa stuff, particularly sugar scrubs and bath fizzies. So many ideas :)

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eventhough cd's aren't popular anymore, I will appreciate being given one with all my favorite songs in it. Actually, DIY food would be good too, I have received homecooked meals as gifts during my birthday and Christmas.

11. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Sweaters and food! These are the two things that I really like people make for me. Sweaters with very interesting patterns are extremely wonderful when they are DIY-made, prepared for me. I love seeing how they are made, and if by hands I would take the time to ask about what is what and which goes where. My parents are huge DIY-ers when they were younger, so just the mention of making things on your own is both nostalgic and brand new to me. :D

12. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I make a lot of different things, mostly crocheted things, but, this year I'm making my boyfriend a tetris related magnet.

13. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    My small family lives off of one income - so I am always trying to save money by doing things myself. I am a huge fan of DIY and I have made a lot of my own presents in the past including blankets, decorative candles and wall hangings. The web is full of so many great ideas -- everyone can find something easy they can make.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bring on some more ideas guys. :) This is my favorite kind of stuff to talk about. It is true that there is lots of stuff all over the net, but I like hearing about what other people like to do, what they are good at, where they find inspiration, and all that. I learned to crochet as a child from both of my grandmother's. Who taught you guys to make stuff, or did you teach yourself? What's your favorite handmade or DIY gift to make? What's your favorite to receive? I also like to make stuff out of denim. Old jeans can be made into lots of cool stuff from little purses made from the pockets to pot holders and more.

15. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    My dad is going to make us all new bedroom furniture. About two years ago we asked him to make us a coffee table and book shelf. He did those and then two matching end tables, and to this day they are the 4 nicest pieces of furniture I own. He recently got into making bedroom furniture, so he's redoing our entire room.

I'M SO EXCITED. For one thing, the stuff is nice. But it is also one of a kind, and something that could easily become a family heirloom one day. Very cool.

16. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm loving all this discussion- you guys have so many good ideas! And that's awesome about your dad, Claire. Like you said, it's one of a kind and something fabulous to keep in the family :) that's wonderful.

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I would adore receiving handmade furniture as a gift. That's lovely. My kids all got handmade rocking chairs from their grandparents when they were little. They are so sturdy and nice. Nice enough to keep for years to come and hand down to their own children.

I love real wood furniture and it gets harder and harder to come by (unless you're able/willing to make a pretty good investment in it). I've made a couple small pieces myself, just a little cabinet and a small bookshelf. I really should make more stuff. Practice makes perfect, right?