Regular bank or a credit union

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by love2loveu • Jun 4, 2012.

1. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    My husband wants me to stop using my Wells Fargo bank and switch to the PFU. What are your thoughts? They are much better than banks?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the reason for switching. I think in most cases, the local smaller banks and credit unions provide much better customer service and fewer fees. If you need online banking, some of the smaller banks and credit unions may not offer it. It is important to decide what needs you want your financial institution to provide to you. Then compare and decide which will option work better for you.

3. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I would much rather have my money in a credit union than a big bank. Credit Unions are non-profit and not only you are going to get better customer service and lower interest rates, you are also going to be helping to create quality jobs. I have accounts at two different credit unions and I haven't been upset with them even once. They both have online banking and I am not aware of any that do not. They both also refund any and all ATM fees I occur anywhere. I love them a lot and definitely recommend switching.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've been considering switching to a local credit union. The only thing that's making me pause is availability. It would mean that there would be only one physical location where I could do my banking. There wouldn't be branches all over the city.

5. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I would use a credit union any day than to mess around with a bank. They have to many fees and keep changing there polices and it's just silly how they do things. They have great customer service and if I were you that is where I would go to the credit union and no banks. Credit Unions are the #1 leader in banking.

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I would choose a credit union if there was one available for me to use. I am actively researching that now. I do not know of one with internet banking yet though, at least where I am located right now. But as soon as one became accessible for me, I would leave any bank as in yesterday and forever. They suck, it is almost like a ponzi scheme/scam.

7. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I have always just used my local credit union and have been very, very impressed and pleased. All of my needs are met- low rates, online banking, no fees, etc. I also appreciate them knowing who I am and working with me.

8. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I have not used a credit union. But I do know the fees being charged by large banks is getting out of control. One of my co-workers was just telling me how much better the credit unions are. So I am actually considering taking a closer look into them for myself.

9. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    Once I have enough money saved up I am switching the credit union. I know this sounds bad, but the banks work for share holders. The credit unions work for account holders and do not have to worry about only making a nickel per share in profit.

10. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    Credit unions by far. They are the best one to use and are the most responsible for the customer instead of the shareholders!

11. Scarletpyxi

ScarletpyxiMember

Threads:
    I feel that they are, I prefer dealing locally anyway though so I may be a bit biased. Credit unions just seem to have better customer service, and they are less likely to have systems that are just too big for them to keep track of your account properly. I posted on another thread about a horrible experience I had with Bank of America, and it was never resolved...I just ended up coughing up a lot of my hard earned money to close out the account when they were the ones that made a huge error. I don't think that a credit union would have handled the situation in the same way, so I plan on sticking with them from now on.

12. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    We actually have both. We have an account with Wells Fargo and with First Federal Credit Union. I personally haven't seen a difference. Both have friendly staff and we haven't had a problem with either. The credit union account was opened years before I even got married and I still have it. I use it mostly for business expenses because I sell Avon and I keep track of my sales and purchases through it.