Favorite sub shop.

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by gmckee1985 • Nov 18, 2014.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    So which of the national sub chains do you prefer? Whether it be Subway, Quiznos, Jersey Mikes, etc. Personally I would have to go with Quiznos. To me, they just make the best subs out there. They are of high quality. Unfortunately they are a bit on the expensive side. A combo costs upwards of ten dollars. Other than that, I'll admit that I do like Subway as well. They are affordable, and the quality is pretty decent. I would say they are the McDonald's of the sub market. Good stuff, but not as good as the higher end, higher quality chains.

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I still like Quiznos, but in the city I live in, they're lacking in business locations near me - they're sandwiches are still very good to eat. I usually go for Subway, since they're like the Starbucks of sandwich shops [lol], it's cheaper and you do get more contrast to price. Mr. Pickles is a okay sandwich shop, but I've only tried eating there a few times. Most of the time, I eat the sandwiches I make.

3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it seems like Quizno's aren't doing so well in today's economy. They may just be a bit too expensive for most people's pocketbooks these days. I've noticed that 3 or 4 in my area have closed down/went out of business. I guess they just can't compete with Subway's prices. It's a shame though because they really do much better sandwiches overall than Subway. Hopefully they have a business plan to get them out of the malaise they are in.

4. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    We only have Subway in my country, although personally I'd prefer to visit an independent store which can do a good sub, often fresher and tastier.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Quizno's is definitely better, but yes, it is also pricier. They have good soups too, so you could switch up and get soup instead of a sandwich maybe. I much prefer them to Subway. After trying Quizno's I like Subway even less than I did before. My husband can't be bothered with Subway at all, but he will eat Quizno's. We sometimes split a sandwich as well. I guess it's worth it to pay a bit more to get something so much better, especially since I don't go out to eat all that often. If I had to eat it on a regular basis, yeah it would get expensive fast.

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's appropriate to eat at Quizno's about once a week. About the same price that you would pay at a Five Guys or an Applebees. It's not that bad. About $25 or so for two people. Me and my significant other usually go on the weekends if we do go. I have a decent amount of disposable income so it doesn't bother me that bad. I can see how a poorer family might have trouble eating there on a regular basis though. Has anyone ever eaten at a Jersey Mikes or a Firehouse Subs?

7. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    I usually go to subway. It is honestly the only place close enough that is a sub shop. We literally have to drive 2 hours away to get to an amazing sub shop. I am not sure if Portillos is a sub shop but when I was in college I went there once and it was amazing! I had a chicken sandwhich so it was so moist. Seriously the best place that I have gotten chicken from. Usually from subway I just get turkey because subways are always going through food problems. I know turkey isn't the safeist but it is usually really satisfiying.

8. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Subway ! They have daily specials, and their prices are lower than most of the other sub shops. Not only that; but their service is usually really fast. They used to have a little punch card so that everytime you bought a sub at Subway; you got your card punched, and when it was full, then you got a free sub. I ate there a whole lot more at that time; and was really sad to hear that they had discontinued having this program. But, I still like to go there; just not nearly as often as I did when they had the punch card and free sub.

9. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I enjoy Quiznos also.
    There is only one Jersey Mike's in my area that I've tried. It was only OK!
    I like Blimpies because of their salami, and other Italian spices. Come to think of it Tubby's is very similar.
    I love the different breads at Subways. I love Subways the very best. I love their salad. I love the way a salad can become a sandwich as long as it isn't too wet. I love watching them make my sub also.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to work right next to a Quiznos (as in I could walk there in less than a minute) so I was going there several times a week for lunch. I got to know the franchise owner there too a bit, because she recognized me from coming in so often. She eventually ended up closing down that location and moving to another local spot with hopes of doing more business but unfortunately had to close that one as well. One of the challenges they face is that they are required to use better ingredients, which not only cost the consumer more but cost the franchise owners more as well, which makes it harder for them to maintain a profit. I guess they don't have as high of a profit margin over their food costs compared to places like Subway. But that said, it only underscores how much cheaper Subways ingredients really are.

That said, Quizno's was never really *that* much more expensive than Subway to begin with. Subway may sell $5 footlongs, but they are so light on the meats and cheeses that you kind of need to eat a whole one to get full. On the other hand, Quiznos charged maybe a buck or so more, but you got more meat and cheese on your subs in addition to it being better quality, so a half sub would be just as filling. It really wasn't fair to compare footlong to footlong prices because you got more product and better product overall at Quiznos. Even Subway's bread is mostly just air - Quizno's bread was denser and heavier and more filling. Subway's goes flat like a pancake when they go to cut your sub in half.

Sadly, all of the Quiznos are gone in Northeast Ohio, and the closest one to me now is in Colorado according to their web site. I would say one of the biggest mistakes they made where I live was opening in obscure locations instead of high traffic areas that were easy to get in and out of. All of our Quiznos were in small little plazas that nobody frequented and were half vacant, and/or in some remote wing of the plaza that nobody ever passed by.

We have Jimmy John's opening up around here now, which I also really enjoy though - but I wish they also offered heated subs. The good thing about Jimmy Johns is they are insanely fast. They are one of the very few fast food joints that is actually fast food. I love it how they more or less weed out their clientele, I never see some soccer mom come in with a van full of kids and try to spend 20 minutes special ordering everything and tying up the line. I never see customers putzing around all indecisive and staring at the menu for 10 minutes debating on what they should get, then nit pick the hell out of the order with all kinds of special instructions. There is an air to the place that if you don't know what you want, get the hell out of the line, lol. Their ingredients are also much better too.