WhatsApp beefs up messaging security

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by ExpertAdvice • Nov 19, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I know that everyone here already has WhatsApp on their mobile devices and so,if you don't, go quickly to your app store and download it, it was reported that WhatsApp will introduced an encrypted system for their messaging service. This will enable users to get the maximum level of security for the conversations. Not even a Court order they say can force WhatsApp to provide data because the company will not be able to get access to the messages themselves.

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Nice to hear this, such a move will probably place Whatsapp ahead of its competitors like LINE. I have been using Whatsapp, and this gives me much less reason to switch to other apps. However, as to how secure it truly is, I suppose only time will tell...

3. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    That's pretty cool, I'm surprised they're being this transparent seeing that now Facebook owns it, but it's a good move by them. It's a great service and I can say that my only gripe with it is the fact that you can't disable the new feature that shows your contacts exactly when you read their message.

4. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    This privacy priority measure sounds like damage control being done by the parenting Facebook to ensure that they retain users and phase out privacy concerns they may have while using the service. I will say it's a good move though. I don't use WhatsApp more often than I use and prefer BBM, but that should work very effectively for WhatsApp nonetheless.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    WhatsApp can't be forced to hand over the data, but users could easily be forced to hand over their devices, which contain the data. It's a nice feature, but it's not really doing a ton to change the privacy landscape. The move gives users peace of mind, but there could still be workarounds to access the data, and encryption is only available on Android. Other platforms will receive encryption features in the near future, though.