Exchange Platform?

Discussion in Suggestions & Feedback started by missbee23 • Nov 20, 2014.

1. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    This may be a tall order, but I think we have a big enough community here that we could form some kind of exchange. Let's say my kids desperately need clothes, and money is tight. But I am up to my eyeballs in computer equipment that I would be willing to trade. Is there already a respectable trade platform that you guys know of? Or is there enough interest to start one here? What are your thoughts?

2. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think it would be better to do it in real life than virtually. But I guess if you want to do it virtually forums are the best place to go for it. It is a good idea for sure. I actually opened this thread because i thought you wanted to exchange currency from different e-wallets. Because I have a lot of knowledge on how to do it. You probably should PM "mmug" the site owner to see if he is willing to devote a sub forum for this. I have a lot of electronic equipment too. But it is old and obsolete. Might just give it to charity.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    An insightful idea that is. The flip side is the disparate geographical locations of the community members. This has to do with shipping and delivery logistics as well payment systems and trust. Who knows, we can go round the jigsaw and form a rival to Ebay and Amazon.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    That would be a good idea but I think it would be hard to do with everyone being from different geographic locations. I think doing a local exchange with friends and other like minded people in your community is probably a more feasible idea. Maybe check with your local churches and other community programs to reach out to people who would be interested in doing an exchange program. It would make things so much easier to be able to find things to trade for needed items.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this might be a good idea for a section here on the site, but I'm not sure if the owner would assume some sort of legal responsibility if the transactions didn't go well. I belong to a local barter group on Facebook, so I know they exist. I've never used it, however, so I can't speak to how successful it is.

Here's a

, in case anyone's interested in trying one or more of them out. I'd like to hear how they go, so even if we don't have an actual exchange here on the site, it might be good to have a section where people could post information about what works for them. I hear about Listia sometimes, but the process seems too confusing for me. I like straightforward sites/transactions, with even or approximately even exchanges, rather than worrying about points.