Is Ethical To Borrow Software

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Nov 21, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Say you need to use expensive commercial software and one of your friends has a physical copy of the software you could borrow the software, right? But though you 'borrowed' the software once you install it on your computer will you uninstall it after you're done editing some image, photo, etc? Since copying of software is prohibited/illegal would you use this unethical method to save money?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course I won't uninstall the software, I'm not that "ethical" to begin with. Although knowing myself, I would just use Google or just look for that particular software using torrents. I won't really bother a friend to lend me their copy.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Each to their own then. If I borrowed software then probably I'd uninstall it because I can borrow it a second time when I need. I wouldn't download pirated software though. Torrenting is illegal in many places anyway. I wouldn't want to get in trouble.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah of course, if you live in the US, then it is strictly prohibited. I'm not from the
    US, and over here piracy is quite rampant, even if it's also illegal.

5. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    You could borrow software from someone and try to install it, but most high end software these days comes with both a key and a registration number. that registration number only allows you to make one, maybe two installations, then it no longer works so the software will never completely install. You would never even get passed the install wizard. this is true for most things like Adobe, Microsoft, better music programs like Pro Tools and maybe even some games. It used to be possible with the Microsoft products to run a rescue repair if your system had a problem and you could get a disc. i don't think you needed a registration for that, in fact you can probably do that online.

Not every piece of software is a single use software. Cheaper games and things like that you could probably install more then once.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's alright and I'm sure developers are already aware of this practice and it's why they often include a trial period with their software. If they were really adamant about not letting people try their programs then they would put in more security measures, but I think they do encourage letting people borrow or try out the software at first so honey can potentially gain new customers and subscribers. Even if just one person subscribes out of tens of people who use the trial then it would be worth it for them because it doesn't really cost that much to reproduce the software in the first place since it's mostly digital.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think there is hardly a person who will refuse to have useful software installed for free. I, personally, have no ethical or other problems to install anything on my computer that my friends are offering me. But it goes without saying that I would only do it if they offered it to me. I have never been involved in any kind of piracy activity, I wouldn't have a clue how to do it.