Would you rather build a new computer from scratch or buy one?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by spikerfreelancer • Nov 21, 2014.

1. spikerfreelancer

spikerfreelancerNew Member

Threads:
    Since black Friday is coming around again, I thought I'd pose this question to you all. I prefer to build them myself, which I have many times over for myself and friends/clients. What are your considerations, is it just cost? Or are you more interested in performance?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to build a computer to my exact specifications, but I have neither the time or the knowledge of how to do it. So, I'd just have to buy something close enough to what I am looking for. I know that I could hire someone to build a computer, but there are so many skeevy people out there, that I simply couldn't trust anyone on that close of a relationship. I'd rather pay for the distance.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:

Use this site, and you can treat PC-building like a plug and play adventure. Everything within a tier is compatible with every other piece of hardware in that tier. The PCs are geared toward gaming, but they'll provide more than adequate performance for non-gaming uses.

Building a PC is almost always more cost-effective from a hardware standpoint. You'll wind up with a PC that doesn't get bogged down by simple multi-tasking like budget PCs that are already built. Unfortunately, building a laptop from scratch is virtually impossible because all of the parts of proprietary and aren't sold separately. You basically have to Frankenstein a laptop together using parts from another laptop and make them fit somehow in a case.

4. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I tried building a computer once. The only time that I think that it is really necessary to build a computer is if you will be mainly using it to play video games I think that if you are just using it to do business then I think that you would be better off just buying a new computer, but building a computer from Scratch is something that is really cool to do if you have the time and the resources to do so.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I don't know how to build a computer from scratch, then I have no choice but to buy one. I have always wanted to learn how to build one for the longest time, but I have no time as of now to devote to it.