they have either coke or pepsi products...

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by jackslivi • Nov 22, 2014.

1. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    Hey everybody!

I was wondering if you guys do the same thing I do at certain resturants when they say, "oh we only have coke products." I usually sigh and pick something random. It switches a lot of the times too. I will really want a Dr. Pepper and then they will tell me that they only have pepsi products.

Is it just me suffering here??

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many places do one or the other, it doesn't bother me at all as I rarely drink either, but I do prefer a Coke. Having traveled to some remote places in the world, having a choice is something you take for granted. I do know people who are very fussy, so all I can assume is that they addicted to something in it or are so obsessed with brands.

Personally if it matters that much to anyone, check the menu before you enter because establishments love to display the brands they serve, so it shouldn't be a shock when you sit down to order.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    It does seem that the majority of places these days tend to go with one or the other...I prefer coke products personally, so a lot of the time pepsi only establishments will find me drinking water (or occasionally a mixed drink instead, lol) instead of switching to Pepsi ;).

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think part of the problem is that the only axis here is looking at Pepsi vs Coke or Coke vs Pepsi. There are so many places in the world that don't have to pander to the duopoly and can offer a whole host of drinks, whether we're talking about carbonated drinks or not. The fact that a lot of people aren't given the opportunity to think outside of these two is the problem, in my view.

I've lived in the US, the UK and Asia. The more I've seen, the more I realize how much power marketing and branding has. I would quite happily select products that aren't from Coke or Pepsi. But you have to be given that choice.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with all of your comments so far. I'm a Pepsi fan but if it's not available I just choose something else to drink.

I use to work at a hospital and it seemed like every 2 years they would change the vending machines from Coke to Pepsi or vice versa, back and forth, back and forth for the 18 years that I was there. Even when our office would have a retreat or something they would always get Coke products. I thought that was kind of thoughtless for them not to think outside the box and maybe get fruit drinks and yeah, Pepsi. Of course I always let them know... "But there's no Pepsi!" and everyone would have a good laugh.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cola is cola to me. I don't really care if it's Coke, Pepsi, RC or Sam's Cola. I just order whatever cola is available. I notice that they taste different but the difference in taste isn't enough to put me off.

7. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I usually only drink clear sodas, so that narrows down what I choose quite a lot. I prefer 7UP among all the other sodas, but if that particular restaurant doesn't serve it I will usually ask for a Sprite, it's not as good, but it does the job well. That's why I usually have no problem choosing a drink wherever I go.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually choose root beer when I eat out, and luckily, they always do have it in the fast foods that I go to. But if they don't have it, then I won't really mind, I would gladly choose whatever drink they have to offer, I'm not really picky.

9. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I think they probably get some sort of discount order if they only serve one kind. It's also easier for them to be supplied by vendors. I do find it annoying when I can't order what I want but it's also not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only drink Sprite (or orange Crush on rare occasions and only at home) so when they don't have it I opt for Sierra Mist. I don't really like it because it's too sweet but it's something I guess and I end up drinking more water.

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no reason to be picky. Pepsi and Coke both have good and bad sodas to choose from, and that's the same thing with any other rivalry between companies. I'll drink Pepsi or Coke products, depending on where I'm at, and I'd say most people are like that - not that picky. Then again, we should all probably be drinking less soda and opting for water because it's the healthiest option restaurants and fast food places serve.

12. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind this at all. To me, they taste the same. Lol! I just choose whatever is available. But most of the time, I just drink water. I'm not a big fan of sodas. And the few times that I do, I tend to pick root beer 9 times out of 10.

13. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    Pepsi may support specific restaurants. In fact Pepsi or Coke may own those restaurants out wright. For example, Pepsi owns Pizza Hut. Therefore, the only soft drinks offered are all Pepsi products.
    I have only seen Coke products offered at McDonald's,

14. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yea I wonder why they do that at private restaurants. I guess it is more costly if they get products from both companies and both offer pretty much the same flavors of soda (ie 7 up/ Spire , Slice / Sunkist). But yea for Dr. Pepper I don't think Pepsi has an equivalent. Maybe there is not that much demand for it.

15. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Bottled water then. If its coming from the tap. depending on what area you are in I rather drink the soda ! :D

16. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't make a lot of difference to me whether it is Pepsi or Coke products either. While I usually prefer Coke, there is just not that much difference in taste.
    I really like the new Coke product dispensers that have all of the different flavors available, and you can mix and add flavors as you like.
    Thus, if you like a cherry coke , like I do; you can simply add the cherry syrup to your Coke . In fact, if you just want plain soda water, they also have that.
    I often just drink the plain soda water since it has neither sugar or artificial sweetener in it.