ThinkGeek

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Kitty Reeves • Nov 22, 2014.

1. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really buy too much from Thinkgeek except around Christmas time, but I've been buying from them for a few years. But I noticed recently that more and more of their products have gone up in price, and I now can find them all on Amazon for cheaper. (They used to be site exclusive) Also the spending threshold for "free shipping" used to be 45 dollars. Now it's 75 dollars. Yikes! ThinkGeek has a TON of awesome stuff for sale, but a vast majority of everything they sell isn't made by their company. ThinkGeek used to be original, now they're more of a third party seller. :(

Do any of you shop or have shopped from ThinkGeek? Have you noticed what I have?

2. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    ThinkGeek is one of those places where if you can't find it anywhere else, it would be a good place to get it. It's not the best site to get things if you can find it on Amazon though to tell you the truth. Also, if you can find something that you know someone will like but you won't find it elsewhere, it's a good place to get it because I've seen things on there where I KNOW I can't find it elsewhere and I KNOW I can't get even on Amazon.

Plus sometimes stuff on there is just quirky and makes you want to get it, you know?

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sometimes get the Thinkgeek catalogs and it's true that the items aren't unique anymore. I see many of the same items on Amazon and some of the geeky shirts at the mall.
    I still love their descriptions but I don't see them as the only source for geeky items anymore.

4. Eiko

EikoMember

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of ThinkGeek, they have a lot of quirky and useful items. Absolutely perfect for holiday or birthday gifts to friends and family, it's almost always bound to receive a good laugh. If you're looking for quirky like ThinkGeek I'd also suggest another website called thisiswhyimbroke.com, it has a more than a ton of weird and awesome things for sale or in development.

5. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    I hate to say it, but ThinkGeek is the place I go to browse and find cool stuff, and then I generally end up purchasing it elsewhere for much cheaper. It is a shame because it is really such an awesome site, but high threshold for free shipping plus much higher prices equals going to Amazon or somewhere else to buy the same item. I love the site, I just don't appreciate the huge markup.

6. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I love ThinkGeek because of some of the items they have. They are super cute and funky and just different from what you find online. Sadly, because I'm not in the continental US they always charge me an exaggerated amount for shipping so I dont buy from them.

7. Peachdejour

PeachdejourMember

Threads:
    I love thinkgeek. The items are so unique and my mom always ends up getting me something from there for holidays. However, I have noticed the price hike and the shipping hike and it is disappointing. The items are unique but I can find some of the items cheaper elsewhere.

8. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    They have cute stuff on their site, the only thing that I would be concerned about if I bought there (I haven't yet) is the price. For the most part, I hate to comparison shop because it can be so time consuming, but if I saw something on ThinkGeek at a price that I think is too high, then I'd check somewhere else.

Although I adore all things "geek', I haven't known about their site long, so I can't go back in thought and compare how prices there used to be as opposed to how prices are now. Love the site though.