New Years

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Gin0710 • Nov 22, 2014.

1. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    Do you go out or stay in? If you go out do you go to fancy parties, hang out with friends at a bar or at friend's house?

I would love to go to a New Years Eve party sometime. The last seven years have been spent with my girls, but I would love to go to a New Years Eve party.

Also have you made a resolution yet and have you fulfilled your resolution this year?

2. batgirl

batgirlMember

Threads:
    In all honesty I would much prefer to stay in on New Years but it is never really an option as my husband is a DJ! I have had some pretty rubbish New Years in the past, hence my wanting to stay in!

However, we have just finalised arrangement for this year and I am actually looking forward to it. My husband will be playing in a pub and we have quite a lot of friends and family coming. We have managed to book some very reasonably priced rooms in a hotel close to the venue which eliminates the worry about trying to travel etc which is always difficult at New Year. It also means I can easily leave when I have had enough!

3. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    On New Years, I don't always go out to clubs or big parties to celebrate. Instead, I just hang out at a family residence and we usually just have our own celebration there. On some occasions though, we take our fun from there and relocate it to a club. I have a feeling we'll most likely be doing the latter again as the new year ushers in. Also, I don't really make New Years Resolutions because they don't usually pan out and so, I'd rather just hope for the best.

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    My fiancé and I definitely stay in. We're not much of the "club" party people and would rather stay at home and watch the ball drop from our TV or something. Plus we enjoy the comfort of our own home and our home-cooked yummy treats as we welcome the New Year.

We do think that we may go to New York one year to celebrate as it is a "once-in-a-life-time" kinda deal, but we definitely don't go out every single New Year.

5. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Staying home is usually better because there are less problems, but sometimes it is nice to celebrate with the excitement of a crowd. When I do want to spend it out an about with a crowd, I tend to gravitate to small hole in the wall bars that don't have a large crowd. Otherwise, I just stick with family and friends... fancy parties are just to "proper" for me these days.

6. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Staying at home and watching fireworks with the family is the greatest way to end the year.. and start the new year!

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really acknowledge New Years as a holiday. Other than changing a piece of paper on the wall and a number on your dates, what is there to celebrate? I will simply be going to work and coming home as usual. I might be fortunate enough to get holiday pay, but then they will probably kick us out early so I won't get anything extra but time to spend sleeping or working online.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've always spent it at home with my family because we are very tight knit and the elders insist that we be complete at Christmas and new year, and although I do appreciate it and like our celebrations very much, I'm still very interested and curious in spending one at an actual party with my friends. Hopefully someday I'll get to experience it.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel the same. I'm also not into partying so I just stay home. I might watch a New Year's special depending on who's on it but that's about it.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like parties all that much so normally I stay home. It's been like that for as almost as long as I can remember. No point in breaking the tradition now.
    Yes I have and it is the same resolution I make every year, "I want to be a better person this year." I don't know if I have made any improvements yet so to be honest I can't say whether I kept my new year's resolution. Nonetheless I can say that at least I tried the best I could to keep my resolution.

11. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    It was actually our tradition to stay home and watch the New Year's shows as they were so much better when I was a kid and every network had one. For many years, it wasn't New Year's if Kool & the Gang didn't sing "Celebration" at 12:05 in the morning. They also had a country one at Mickey Gilley's bar and very little is more fun than drunk honkytonks and of course, Dick Clark had to be the first stranger to wish you a Happy New Year.

Yes, I dated myself quite a bit, but those were great shows!

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I did the whole partying thing in my 20's and stopped all that once I was in my 30's. In my early 20's we used to take a road trip to one of the bigger cities near us such as Cleveland, Columbus or Pittsburgh, then rent some rooms, and book reservations at a fine dining restaurant, and pre-purchase our admission to one of the larger clubs, which came with drink vouchers and included the cover charge. All in all, I would blow about $300-$350, which is a lot, but that included the room, taxi, dinner and drinks and tips. It was fun, and I'm glad we did it, but after a while it all get's old. And the older we all get, the more depressing these New Years parties become, quite honestly.

By the time we hit our 30's several of us had DUI's, couldn't drive, were broke from paying off the approx $10k in fines that a DUI entails, plus we had other expenses from living on our own now - unexpected repairs such as our heating going bad, car accidents, fridge stops working, etc... Many of our friends now had kids they were raising so they couldn't be tearing one up on the town either. We all just more or less settled down.

I would say in my early 30's we mainly would all party at one person's house then crash there, which was fun. But these last few years in particular we all just said screw it and stayed home and went to sleep. We all see each other so much throughout the year and spend so much time at each others houses drinking instead of going out to the bars, that New Years is really just another day like any other for us.

13. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    I won't be at home and will go out for a party with my friends. Bytheway i am going to make a tour of Time square as that is the best destination for party lovers. Specially the new year eve countdown increase my heart beat and ready to rock now. So Gin! Let me know what are your plans,did you choose a rocking party place for you to spend nightout with your friends or just pondering?

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our tradition for the New Year is to stay at home particularly on new year's eve when the entire populace are busy with the firecrackers and the fireworks lighted in time for the changing of the year. But on new year's day, we have our traditional joyride to visit people that we fail to see during Christmas. That's also a time to deliver some leftover gifts.