Blinds or curtains?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Nov 22, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days everyone wants Blinds as they are easier for privacy and letting in light. I do actually like curtains still, but the voiles ( window panels) because they are easier to put up with a rod and to take down and clean.

The only issue with blinds is that the cable can break and if they are slats they collect dust. I have had some blinds where the cable snapped or one side worked and the other didn't and it was so much hassle I had to put up a curtain instead.

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I hate blinds, they are not easier for privacy or light. They let too much light in and they have little cracks that could be peeped through if someone really wanted to . Curtains are a solid piece, so no peeping is possible. For light, you simply need to have a thick lining or inner lining on your curtains to keep light out. Curtains can be extremely easy to clean, where blinds can take an hour to get all the dust off. I like how I can just slide my curtains off the rod, dunk them in some borax water to soak for a bit, then into the wash they go, and back on the rod when dry.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I do not like blinds because they do not make a house feel "homey". They seem too artificial for me. Also, there are so many kinds of curtain designs that I just can't resist buying. :) Curtains are also way more effective in blocking out the sun or peeping toms.

4. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I actually use both. The blinds help with light and privacy if you get the right ones. Do not get the cheap ones. Mine are the wood slatted ones. I put curtains over them to further block out light and drafts. The two together help to lower my power bill because I have less heat and air escaping.

5. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I'd take curtains any day. I don't like blinds at all. I think they can do the same job effectively provided you use the right materials. The difference maker for me is that I find curtains more stylish.

6. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I think for practicality especially at home, curtain is the best to use. Blinds are for the glass windows in offices.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find Japanese-style blinds really captivating but they tend to gather dust and are not easy to clean. The usual office blinds kind of put me off so I don't think I'll be buying them anytime soon. Curtains are more sophisticated and a lot easier to remove and clean. They easily get swept by the wind, however. Still, I would never say no to a pair of thick red velvet curtains. I'd be more than willing to hang them up over my room's window.

8. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really like the looks of curtains, and in particular, I love lace curtains. The main problem with having lace curtains is that they do not block light out or stop visibility into the room completely. We have venetian blinds in our living room, and we can open and close those as we like to keep heat in (or out), and when it is not too hot or too cold, then we enjoy just having the sheer curtains with the blinds open. Eventually, I want to put up blinds on all of the windows, and then we can have total control of how much or how little light we let in, plus we have the beauty of the lace curtains.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have Japanese blinds that would slide across on rods like curtains, but in panels. My ideal look is blackout roll up blinds then a voile (sheer panel in purple) and rich red thick velvet curtains that are draped to one side. My apartment had very large windows and I could never find blinds to fit without having them custom made and the drop of curtains was either too long or not long enough!!

One day I hope to find the perfect solution.

10. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely curtains. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use blinds here. Curtains can keep out sunlight too. You just have to get the right ones. I like that with curtains, you can change them whenever you are in the mood to and you can have curtains that fit the theme of each room. I personally think that blinds are pretty boring. I think that curtains can have liven up a room and bring a more personal touch to it.

11. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    Blinds serve their purpose right and they look wonderful for corporate offices, but for my house, I prefer my good, old curtain. It just feels more appropriate, in my opinion. Also, with curtains, I think there's just more options when it comes to customization. I can decorate it with whatever color and design that I want and let it suit my mood if I want to. It's also convenient when it's time to clean up.

12. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer curtains. For some reason blinds seem more suited to offices. I prefer curtains as they both seem more cosy, and are also better at keeping heat in. I will often close my curtains at night, and in the morning the whole house feels warm.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, it all depends on the climate of the place that I happen to be in. In hot, tropical countries, I prefer nothing more but a mosquito wire over my windows, with the optional curtain for privacy. In cooler regions, I prefer blinds with plenty of air circulation. Generally, I like to be able to look out of every window of the place I live in, and don't like to have to bother with curtains or blinds. Also, I feel claustrophobic with blinds or curtains in my bedroom, as I need lots of air and natural light to sleep and rest.

14. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I use both personally...granted, the reason for using both is a mix of light/thermal insulation help more than anything. We're on the 8th floor of our apartment so I'm not as concerned about privacy as I might be otherwise, but adding black out curtains on top of the blinds really helps in the winter months.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm okay with both but I find curtains a bit more pleasing. Blinds are just too clunky and they break so easily, not to mention that even if they do stay unbroken they usually still are unbalanced whenever pulling them up or down. Curtains are much better for me because I like the way they look and I don't have to deal with them breaking or collecting too much dust.