Learning a new language

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Strykstar • Nov 25, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever had any success learning a new language only by using free online resources?
    I'm always skeptic of them since if they were good enough they would have driven the paid alternatives out of business already...
    If you had success, what website did you use?

2. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Funnily enough, I have been writing an article on this subject today (I am a freelance writer). Studies have shown that people who study a second language in adulthood expand the size of the parts of the brain responsible for language. Personally, I haven't studied anything since school, but I know some people who have had success using online courses.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can learn a new language online. Like everything else though a positive attitude and persistence is what will help you go a long way towards learning the language you are interested in. However, though sites like Openculture.com may have comprehensive language lessons you can't learn everything on the site. You'd have to visit other sites and relevant youtube channels to add onto what you learn on the site.

That said, much as I haven't tried to learn a new language online, I know some people who've managed to. If they could, then I suppose anyone else can.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have not. I have tried a few online resources, but have failed miserably because of the lack of real interaction that helps gel the language in my mind. I need personal interaction to learn something that is primarily aural. It is not sufficient to learn to read a language, I need to be able to understand spoken language or I haven't really learned anything.

5. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I took Spanish lessons back in college. My professor was so boring I could hardly keep myself awake during class. What I did was search for Spanish lessons online and tried to apply them in class or when conversing with my friend. To me, using the language is the best way to learn. It's not like reading a book, simply understanding concepts and rules and then you're good to go. Thankfully, I had a good friend to chat with in Spanish and that helped a lot. So yeah, I think you can learn a new language using online resources and even mobile apps. Just make sure you apply what you learn in your everyday life. Even little things like thinking of the Spanish terms of the ingredients you're using while cooking helps tremendously.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I work part time as a language tutor online. Most of my students tell me that the hardest part of learning a new language with the help of free web resources is to stay motivated. Many of them can read and write well, but they can't talk fluently, as they don't have many opportunities to practice their skills with native speakers.
    My pupils are mostly adult learners from Japan, China and Saudi Arabia, who enjoy conversational classes and language instructions that are aimed at specific targets, such as improving their English skills for business or for getting a better paid job.

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I have this app on my phone call MEMRISE it's an app where it teaches you to study other languages like French, German, Spanish and what not. I just started using this app and it's great so far. I'm trying to learn french and the app is a great way to learn the basics and other french slangs. Also, i heard about this app called Rosetta Stone and i read great reviews about it. :p

8. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I tried learning FRENCH and ARABIC and I am using softwares like rosetta and the talk to me which greatly help my learning process as it is modular. Also, now that there are so many other phone application that you can download to assist in learning (at least 1 NEW WORD a day) is a very good addition. The only thing you need though after all those learning is a person whom you could talk to in order to practice what you have learned.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've had some success in learning the basic phrases just by watching videos and reading articles. I've learned a lot from specialty sites that teach phrases of different languages and provide accompanying pronunciation audio. I've forgotten those sites now but they should be fairly easy to come across as they are probably the first few results at Google searches.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can learn a few words using online resources, but it's not enough if you want to thoroughly learn a new language. You must hire a teacher and immerse yourself in the process. I'm a casual language learner though, so online resources are enough for me.

11. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if reading blogs about learning a new language is considered learning the new language. You know, some people needs to go to class and work in groups to believe that they are actually learning a new language. I have been reading

and playing with the bot using Duolingo app. My favorites are French, Spanish and German right now. There are popular language learning blogs that the folks at Bab.la have compiled in this

. Their list contains results from Language Learning Blogs, Language Professional Blogs, Twitterers, Facebook pages, and YouTube channels. So a total of 125 resources. :eek:

#11Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014