What can you make of canned sardines?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DesignerMum • Nov 25, 2014.

1. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Do you have a canned sardines recipe that can be made at home quickly? Mine is a quick sardines salad recipe.

The ingredients are:

- 1 can of sardines (any flavor)
    - lettuce
    - tomato
    - cucumber
    - olive oil 1 tbsp
    - salt 1 tsp
    - garlic (additional)

How to make:

Open the canned sardines and separate the meat from the sauce. Prepare the salad material in a separate bowl. Have the lettuce, tomato and cucumber sliced in edible chunks and add a table spoon of olive oil. Use a spatula or a wooden spoon to mix them nicely, and then add grilled garlic if you would like more flavor. Mash the sardines and add a good serving to the portions of salad.

#1Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I like to add mayo to sardines to get rid of the fishy taste. The result is pretty close to tuna, and works well on most sandwiches or salads. For a fancier variant you could toss it with some olive oil and herbs, and serve it in a salad or wrap.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I just keep it simple and throw some eggs, onions and mushrooms with them and scramble it all up. At that time, I will decide to make it into a sandwich or just a plate of eggs and sardines.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    My children love tinned sardines on toast. Personally, I am not a big fan of sardines. I like the idea of having them on holiday, freshly grilled as soon as they have been caught. I bought some from the docks and tried this, but I didn't like it as there were so many bones inthe fish.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Back when I was on Weight Watchers, I came up with an idea for a snack. I would heat up a toaster oven and place two slices of bread on a foil slice. I would take a few slices of cheese, followed by a couple of sardines on each slice. These open-face grilled cheese sandwiches took less than 3 minutes to cook and it was an interesting spin. This was back when there were only sardines packed in oil or water. No flavors in the 70s.