Health benefits of sugar cane

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Serena • Nov 26, 2014.

1. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    These days, sugar gets a bad rap, but it really depends on the type of sugar you are using. Of course, refined white sugar is in no way good for the body. But, pure unrefined sugar cane is very healthy and beneficial to the body. Here, we grow a lot of sugar cane and in most cases, it is eaten in its raw form. Sometimes people make sugar can juice. Either way, it is good for the body. Sugar cane has a low glycemic index and it does a good job of giving you that energy boost that you need. Since it is in raw form, it is not processed or refined. Sugar cane is good for digestion because of its high potassium content. It can also be thought of as nature's candy. Whenever I have a taste for a sweet, I just pick a stalk of sugar cane, strip the outer covering, and chew to get the sweet sugar cane juice.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really sure since I haven't looked into nutrition studies on sugar cane, but I do know that eating a raw or non-processed sugar cane or adding it to your drink is a far healthier option than adding an already processed one to a beverage (e.g. coffee, milk, tea and juice). That's why I prefer brown sugar and muscovado compared to refined white sugar, the glucose content of which is particularly high.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Having too much sugar would still be bad. Sure, having cane sugar in your drinks instead of corn syrup would be healthier, but ultimately that's still plenty of calories within your sugar, wherever it comes from.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Other benefits include:

- Treatment of or prevention of colds.
    - Eating sugar cane can can help with fighting cancer.
    - Great for hydrating the body fast if you've lost too much fluid.
    - It's a great substitute for fizzy drinks.

5. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Hi Squigly,

People in my country and other tropical countries eat raw sugar cane all day and there are no problems. I am not talking about processed sugar. I am talking about straight from the stalk of sugar cane; from the plant. Although some have started to stray from the old ways, Diabetes is not a well known disease here and why is that? Because the vast majority of the population does not consume processed sugar. Raw sugar cane can be safely utilized by diabetics as well because it is not a simple sugar and it is low on the glycemic index. Raw sugar cane is also considered one of the best sources of energy in the world. It is a favorite treat here.

Denis Hard,

You are absolutely right. Those are also benefits of raw sugar cane. Thanks for adding them. Other benefits include helping to maintain healthy blood sugar levels. It also helps to boost the immune system due to its high percentage of riboflavin. It also helps to maintain healthy pH levels due to its alkaline properties. People suffering from liver issues can benefit from this.