Wearing perfumes

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Nov 27, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never wore a perfume because it gives me allergies. Even the fact that I am near people wearing them makes me sick, but some people think that I am just being paranoid. Do you wear perfumes? Do you stay away from people with allergies?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy perfume, but I get to receive them as gifts. I do wear them, and luckily I don't have allergies of any kind, although when I use anti-dandruff menthol shampoos, the skin above my upper lip gets a tingling sensation. Aside from that, nothing seems to cause an adverse reaction to my body, so I really don't mind people wearing perfumes.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So you don't wear perfumes because you're allergic to them. How about colognes then? They're milder and did not undergo heavy chemical processes unlike perfumes. What else do you wear in order to smell good?

I prefer cologne over perfumes, which tend to have strong and piercing smells (they make me sneeze sometimes). I can't even remember the last time I wore perfume. I like mild perfumes with a fruity scent especially kiwi and watermelon. They're hard to come by, however, so I make do with colognes.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wear perfume all the time, and especially like fresh scents such as watermelon and kiwi too. Luckily, I'm not allergic to perfume. You may want to look into essential oils as some of them smell divine and are less expensive than perfume. I have been looking into this to make my perfumes last longer, and have found many interesting ones at the Body Shop. If you have Body Shop stores near you give it a go, it may work for you :)

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I never wear a perfume as I feel it is very overwhelming at times. Also, I prefer to stay away from people who wear perfume as it makes me sneeze continuously. I have never been an avid user of perfume.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love wearing perfumes and I even have a collection of many bottles both old and new. I never felt any irritation off of them so I am free to indulge in it and I do. I just like having a light scent that gives me some confidence that I smell nice the whole day and even if the scent is a bit strong after a few minutes it will already become lighter so I don't mind.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like wearing perfume, although it is usually cologne, since that is much cheaper than buying perfume. My favorite scent is Tabu; but I have other colognes, and wear whatever seems to fit my mood each day. I always feel better when I have some fragrance on, and I have never noticed people sneezing or any other problems; so I don't think that I am wearing it strong enough to be a problem for anyone.
    Sometimes, the doctor's office will request that you do not wear perfume, so then I have to not wear any; but otherwise I usually do, even when I am just going to be spending the day at home.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not everyone like perfume and even though I used to work for a fragrance house, there were days I didn't want to wear any. It's more of a mood enhancer, to make you feel good or to boost your confidence. I see it as an accessory to finish off a look. I tend to stick to my favorites, though I don't wear perfume as often as I used to and keep it for special occasions. I do prefer an eau de parfum as they are stronger, and last longer than an eau de toilette and in the long run is better value for money.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can empathize. Whenever Christmases or birthdays roll around, my mother always wants a new perfume. She never specifically states which one she wants. She just sends me and my older sister off to find her one that she'll like. So the both of us are usually stood there in a store smelling different ones, and ten minutes in the both of us are chain sneezing and our eyes are watering and everything. I do love the smell of perfume though. There just can't be too much of it, and the scent itself cannot be too strong. I like subtle sweet feminine smell. Those are the qualities that I look for in perfumes for myself.

I always find that cheap perfumes smell the best. The only problem with them is that the scents don't last as long on your skin or clothing.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always been prone to instant migraines around people wearing perfume. They all smell so chemically, it's brain splitting. I wish I could tolerate it though, women love smelling this way lol. I agree with the cheaper perfumes.. most of them are so cheap they don't last long so the smell is much more subtle. Still don't care for them though. I do much better with oils, so if I ever wear anything, it's those.. usually vanillas or citrus.. sometimes both at once, like a creamsicle lol.

11. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I love perfumes and colognes, but don't wear them all that often. I usually only wear them when I'm going out somewhere or doing something a little bit special at home. I used to wear them all of the time, however, as if I thought it was a requirement for being fully dressed.
    My all time favorites, which I still keep ready bottles of, are Charlie (the original) and Charlie White. I also used to like one by Estee Lauder called Estee's Daytime Fragrance. That one hasn't been made for years, now; and it's a shame that it isn't because it smelled so good and seemed lighter than most Estee fragrances.

12. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I like perfumes - but I don't wear them much because a lot of scents are a bit heavy for me and can affect my allergies. If I do wear anything it is typically a body spray or mist. they are lighter and the scent doesnt linger as long.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes, I find that oils are much more friendly. I receive - well my mother does - crates of essential oils from a lady that we met at a spiritual college about four or five years ago. The flavors, as far as scent goes, vary. But they are a lot less heavy on the nostrils, and I'm less likely to sneeze around them, regardless of how powerful they smell. I guess that this is why essential oils are used in meditation settings and such. They don't pollute the air like other chemical scents tend to.

14. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I can sympathize with you, nothing worse then to walk into a store and be accosted by someone squirting perfume. Where I work there is this man that comes in that must bathe in the stuff, it is terrible and so strong. I have noticed I can smell scented laundry projects and some effect me, I don't know if it is the dryer shets or the detergent or what exactly. Sadly there will always be smells around us we can't control, I wish I had a solution for you about the best you can do is try to minimalize your exposure for your own health.

15. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I only wear perfumes on occasions. sometimes it is better to spend time and effort and money on personal hygiene than wearing perfume as it can masks your real smell.. hehehe I heard that some women wants the natural smell of men.. so why bother to wear perfume all the time?

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    There is a man that you work with who smells like he bathes in perfume?? Lol. Do you mean cologne or actual perfume. Despite my weird and wonderfully diverse circle of friends, I have never encountered a man who wears perfume. I've come across women who wear cologne - and have even worn it myself, because I like the smell. But never the other way around. I don't mind the scent of bath and shower products. They are nice and subtle on the nose. Laundry products do tend to be a smidgen stronger. You can walk into someone's house, and if they've done laundry then their entire house will smell like the fabric softer that they use.

17. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had once a classmate and she always wore perfume, that we she enters the class, all of us got swayed to his direction to smell her more. She was just so fragrant, and it's not strong. It's just right for everyone to smell, but not to turn away from. I think wearing perfume gives an impression of hygiene and self-concern. Once one wears it, it just show that she cares for herself, not really to show-off, but merely to show how important herself is to her. I think this is the essence of vanity. More than to impress, it's more of presenting your concern to yourself, which if done with just moderate intensity, is not bad.

18. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I like mild scented perfume. I can't tolerate strong smell. It makes me sneeze continuously. I am very particular with the smell. The milder the smell the better for me. There are times that i have to get out of the room or move away from somebody because of her smell. I really cant understand why some people have to take a bath using a perfume..:rolleyes: I mean using too much perfume can be irritating to others.

19. Stephanie Y.

Stephanie Y.New Member

Threads:
    I understand just where you are coming from. I have always had allergies to perfumes also. This includes air fresheners, candles and lotions. Stores that carry scented and dyed lotions and body sprays are stores I have to stay away from. Even walking past them in the mall can trigger a reaction. As a child it was really bad, I would get bad headaches, stomach aches, and if it lingered too long some dizziness. Now as an adult I still feel a bit ill when I smell them, but it is not as bad anymore. For most people it is usually the chemicals and dyes that are in them that cause the irritation. I do have two perfumes that I have had for 4 years. I love them both, but will only wear them on special occasions. To tell how often that is, they are both still pretty much full after 4 years. I have found some essential oil scented perfumes that I love. Plus some essential oil blends that are nice.

20. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve never been a huge fan of perfumes. I’m not allergic or anything, but I’ve found that most of them smell unnatural to me. I’m another one who prefers oils if I feel the need to wear a scent. The bath soap I use leaves behind a nice scent, though, so I usually just rely on that.