Have you ever planted something you regretted?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Nate5 • Nov 28, 2014.

1. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I think it's really important that we all have a variety of plants in our gardens. It makes it beautiful and also makes the soil healthy. However, I have indeed planted some plants that I have regretted. In my case, I planted a sour cherry tree. We did not read the label carefully when we planted. Now, we have a useless plant that attracts pests, drops small, inedible fruits, and takes up space that we could've used for other plants.

Any plants you've regretted adding to your garden? List them here! Perhaps we can avoid the same mistakes.

2. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I have ever planted anything that I have regretted planting. I only plant trees or plants that produce foods or herbs. Even for these, I researched them before planting. For example, for my cashew trees, I know that nothing will be able to grow around them because the canopy of the trees block out sunlight and the ground around them are too acidic for anything else to grow. I don't even plant flowers if they are for aesthetic purposes only. They must serve a greater purpose. I guess it goes without saying that we must research what we are planting before we plant it in order to get the best outcome.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I regret growing Romaine lettuce because it's not thriving and just stay the same size no matter how much sun or water it gets. I guess that just because Walmart sells lettuce plants,it doesn't mean they're well suited for my climate.

4. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I bought this mint called Lemon mint, it smelled so good. It was a hole $3 and I planted it outside. Boy did I regret that, it is now growing everywhere. I have no idea how it got to certain places, it had to be the birds? It smells great when you cut the grass and I do use it for garnish and occasional herbals. Honestly though take my advice and do not plant mint, it is so true, it spreads like wild fire.

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I regret that I planted trees that bare no fruits nor adequate shade, and simply made a mess when blossoms in leaves and eventually loses it all, creating a pile of mess everywhere in my front and backyard. Also, planting vines that are not properly maintained will allow it to grow everywhere it can find a water source to grow at, not a good thing because it attracts a lot of creatures to live in it that may infest one's home. Believe it not, I do not like planting too much grass, because it spreads between the cracks of concrete and eventually becomes an overgrowth that I have to trim once it grows back. I do however like to plant evergreen types of tree, because it's super easy to clean and creates a bedding on the ground it falls upon which restricts the growth of other non-wanted plants.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only plants I've ever regretted planting are some flowers which when I saw them in bloom looked quite beautiful. Naturally, I asked my neighbor for some seeds, planted them and waited . . . but guess what happened?

When the plants produced flowers, yes they were very beautiful but they fall off after two days and you have to wait another year [for the plants for flower]. Is it worth the wait?

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't really regretted anything that I ever planted in my backyard, because I simply remove plants that cause trouble. The only time I wondered whether I did the right thing, was when I planted mint in my garden and it absolutely took over. It took me a while to get it under control again. :)

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say I've regretted anything I've planted. Growing a garden is a learning experience that requires a lot of optimism and patience.

Lettuce grows best in the shade of another plant. Have you ever seen those cucumber trellises that are angled to let you grow lettuce underneath?

9. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I've planted one of those small cacti in tiny pots you can find at many stores into some soil. It's grown into an enormous size, with so many large spines that it could pose a hazard to people. Because of that I've fenced an area around it as I'm reluctant to kill the plant.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it happens in few instances. But I don't regret it that long. What I think important in this cases is that being able to learn from your mistakes and never have commit the same mistake again. And there's always that thing to be thankful for, for having failed at a specific instant and not at that greater one in which the mistake could have been more damageable.

11. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I spend very less time on planting in the garden and I think I have never regretted what I have planted. I think it is best to not think about planting something that others have not planted. So you would not make many mistakes.

12. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any that I personally regret but my grandmother was an avid gardener and she had a really big disaster plant. She brought home a shovel full of something called "Snow in the Mountain" and planted it in her flower bed between bushes and taller plants. Over time, she planted it in a few other beds too. It was lush and green with white edging on the leaves and oh so very pretty. Then, it started choking out her less hardy plants, spreading into the lawn, and just generally taking over. She decided to eradicate it...but this plant was indestructible. Every year for a decade, she dug up all traces of it that she could find and burned them. More kept popping up from only tiny fragments of root. It STILL shows up in a few places in the spring and ash she's getting older now and too arthritic to continue the battle, it's slowly beginning to take over again.

13. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Burford hollies. They are beautiful, but don't plant them close to the house. Most especially, don't plant them in front of windows unless you really like getting out there and trimming those suckers. If you decide you do want them close to the house or in front of a window, be sure to get the dwarf variety.